• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rainbow Hill Junction and Worcester Triangle resignalling

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
I read a while ago in one of the West Midlands (or Cotswolds/GWR threads - I've tried a quick search but could not find the post) that being as the signalling is more or less life expired in the Worcester area, will the former Rainbow Hill Junction be reinstated when reksignalling is due?

Before the present setup that took place in 1973 where at Foregate Street where now Platform 1 is for trains to/from Shrub Hill/Oxford/Cheltenham whereas Platform 2 is for trains to and from Droitwich, trains from Droitwich were able to use Platform 1, and trains to Shrub Hill were able to use Platform 2.

Also, before the Stourbridge resignalling back in 1991, I can recall that from Droitwich or Kidderminster at least to just beyond Langley Green and before the former Smethwick West station, the mechanical semaphores were unusually the upper quadrant type (the clear or "off" position is raised to the eleven o'clock position) being as the Stourbridge route was a former Great Western Railway line, whereas in typical GWR style (and at Worcester) the semaphores were the lower quadrant type (the clear or "off" is lowered to the seven o'clock position).

Back in 1991 when Stourbridge converted from semaphore to colour lights, with the signal box at Stourbridge Junction controlling the line (and the signal boxes at Cradley Heath and Langley Green being demolished), was it intended to continue to Worcester/Malvern at the time?

On a final point, if the Worcester resignalling goes ahead, is it also intended as part of the works to reinstate the double track between Malvern Wells and Shelwick Junction (except both Colwall and Ledbury Tunnels, as those have always been single track)? This would help to reduce delays and have a robust timetable, especially as there is an aspiration from the West Midlands PTE (Centro/whatever corporate identity is used nowadays) to double the frequency of the Birmingham - Hereford via Bromsgrove trains. The only place where trains can pass each other in opposite directions beyond Malvern Wells is at Ledbury. For example, on Friday 12 February according to the Real Time Trains website, the Hereford - Birmingham via Bromsgrove (or the London train, cannot remember which one) got held at Shelwick Junction for 22 minutes as a train had not long departed Ledbury in the opposite direction.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Efini92

Established Member
The line from Stourbridge junction to smethwick was the midland railway line so that’ll be why the the semaphores were upper quadrant.

Gloster

Established Member
Stourbridge-Smethwick was Great Western (originally Stourbridge Railway), but in the 1963 changes to regional boundaries it became part of the London Midland. Thereafter signalling work was carried out according to Midland practices.

Efini92

Established Member
I thought the GWR line carried straight on at Stourbridge?

Edit : just looked it up and it’s indeed GWR. I always thought it was midland as the line changes from the down at Stourbridge to the up after Stourbridge junction

Gloster

Established Member
The Oxford-Worcester and Wolverhampton Railway came into Stourbridge from the south and continued straight on to Kingswinford Junction, Dudley and Wolverhampton. The Stourbridge Railway diverged just north of Stourbridge station and ran via Old Hill to Galton Junction. The OW&WR became part of the West Midland Railway in 1860 and part of the GWR in 1863; the SR became part of the GWR in 1870.

adrock1976

Established Member
I know the above few posts have delved into the historical context, but does anybody know when:

1) When the resignalling project is going ahead i.e. pre or post HS2
2) Will trains towards Shrub Hill be able to use Platform 2 (the Foregate Street - Shrub Hill curve having double track)
3) Will trains from Droitwich be able to use Platform 1
4) Will Malvern Wells - Shelwick Junction (except both tunnels at Colwall and Ledbury) be redoubled as part of the project or next stage
5) Would it be worthwhile reinstating track along the ex Midland Tewkesbury line down to Henbury Road (near the showground) so as having somewhere for Great Malvern non London terminating trains to be sent out of the way?

The Planner

Veteran Member
I know the above few posts have delved into the historical context, but does anybody know when:

2) Will trains towards Shrub Hill be able to use Platform 2 (the Foregate Street - Shrub Hill curve having double track)
4) Will Malvern Wells - Shelwick Junction (except both tunnels at Colwall and Ledbury) be redoubled as part of the project or next stage
5) Would it be worthwhile reinstating track along the ex Midland Tewkesbury line down to Henbury Road (near the showground) so as having somewhere for Great Malvern non London terminating trains to be sent out of the way?
1, no one knows yet. It will be CP7 (2024-2029) or later when it does happen. It will be coming under North West and Central (old LNW route) control within NR shortly from the Western so nothing much has been developed, therefore any of the answers to your questions will be on the back of a fag packet.

Efini92

Established Member
Why do you want the train from droitwich to use platform 1 at shrub hill?

adrock1976

Established Member
1, no one knows yet. It will be CP7 (2024-2029) or later when it does happen. It will be coming under North West and Central (old LNW route) control within NR shortly from the Western so nothing much has been developed, therefore any of the answers to your questions will be on the back of a fag packet.

Many thanks.

Why do you want the train from droitwich to use platform 1 at shrub hill?

It's actually Foregate Street, so as trains to and from Droitwich can pass each other there as presently, it is either Tunnel Junction or Henwick on the opposite side of the Severn (thus blocking everything else behind and trains to/from Shrub Hill at Henwick).

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
I used to use Foregate Street a lot. I guess the crossover/s were removed or never built because there were fewer trains back then. Crossings east of the station would greatly increase flexibility, but one does not fancy changing platforms at Foregate Street, as a joining passenger

I was told a decade back that Worcester was same as Shrewsbury to be the last to be resignalled and between 2030-2040 with closer to 2040 being closer to the mark.

As for life expired well it's simply not. The correct question is whether the signalling is fit for purpose and the answer is no it isn't.

You can only really life expire individual components on a mechanical signalling system, replaceme them and they are no longer life expired. As far as I know all of it can be replaced and renewed; it's not like electrical systems that just can't be made anymore as so out of date. In fact a lot of the rodding around Tunnel Jct is so new some of it has not been connected up to replace the old stuff and around Shrub Hill extra devices have been added to the rodding which are bang upto date modern mechanical devices.

Efini92

Established Member
Many thanks.

It's actually Foregate Street, so as trains to and from Droitwich can pass each other there as presently, it is either Tunnel Junction or Henwick on the opposite side of the Severn (thus blocking everything else behind and trains to/from Shrub Hill at Henwick).
Apologies I miss understood what you were saying.

peteb

A lot of the semaphore signals around Worcester have had various components replaced over the years: so much so that some are "newer" than electric light signals in the area. Of course the delight of having all these semaphores is they make for great photos when steam excursions are running.

AJS90

Isn’t the plan also for WMT to have somewhere to stable a unit overnight at Hereford so the first service to Birmingham in the morning can run an hour earlier, and the last return in the evening can run an hour later?

adrock1976

Established Member
Isn’t the plan also for WMT to have somewhere to stable a unit overnight at Hereford so the first service to Birmingham in the morning can run an hour earlier, and the last return in the evening can run an hour later?

I seem to recall reading that somewhere in one of the various reports.

Also and as a quick favour, could you explain what is WMT? When I resided in the West Midlands for the first 21/22 years of my life, WMT stood for the ex corporation bus companies West Midlands Travel.

Mordac

Established Member
I seem to recall reading that somewhere in one of the various reports.

Also and as a quick favour, could you explain what is WMT? When I resided in the West Midlands for the first 21/22 years of my life, WMT stood for the ex corporation bus companies West Midlands Travel.
West Midlands Trains.

Worcester had most of its signalling equipment replaced. I'm sure the life extension works took place in 2018.

I'm unsure the need to double the triangle and to make it so you can gain access to any of the platforms from any direction. After spending many years working at Shrub Hill I'm unsure that it would need a change from the existing layout.

adrock1976

Established Member
Worcester had most of its signalling equipment replaced. I'm sure the life extension works took place in 2018.

I'm unsure the need to double the triangle and to make it so you can gain access to any of the platforms from any direction. After spending many years working at Shrub Hill I'm unsure that it would need a change from the existing layout.

Although the present layout dates back to 1973, would it be able to cope with more passenger traffic?

When I was a resident of the West Midlands, Cradley Heath was my local station and back in 1988/89, it had 2 trains per hour to and from Birmingham New Street - Stourbridge Junction calling all stations, 2 tph Birmingham NS - Worcester limited stop calling Cradley Heath, Stourbridge Junction, every 60 minutes for both Hagley and Blakedown, Kidderminster, Droitwich, Foregate Street, both Malvern stations, and every 60 minutes to Colwall, Ledbury, and Hereford. Some Malvern/Hereford trains would also call Shrub Hill as well. Also, the Birmingham - Cardiff Central ran broadly every 2 hours beyond Shrub Hill calling Cheltenham Spa (Ashchurch for Tewkesbury did not reopen until 1997), Gloucester, Lydney, Chepstow, Caldicot, Newport (Gwent), and Cardiff.

I also remember a Shrub Hill - Barnt Green via Bromsgrove, but this was sporadic - likewise with Oxford and London via the Cotswolds.

moggie

It has indeed but probably worth clarifying that the equipment renewed was primarily the electrical elements of interlocking and some track circuits. They also put a brand new mechanical signal in for the GWR IET turnback at Henwick. Obviously the mechanical arms of signals and their controlling SB lever frames remain as ever. Unsurprisingly the line suffered a number of signalling 'failures' for a time after as the installation was shaken down so to speak. At least that's what WMT reported the as the cause of delays!

As the Planner states earlier it's pure speculation as to what may or may not be done to the track layout in future but the effective twin single lines from Worcester Shrub Hill / Tunnel Jcn to Henwick on the other side of the river (via Foregate St) is a significant constraint on operating a more frequent service so we (the users) are told. While that's not the only pinch point along the route it is a significant and one area which unlocks the prospect of better local services in the future. I guess it's anyone's guess to see how long it takes for rail demand to return and the DfT to align resources to serve it. Clearly they're in no hurry.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm sure adrock has it wrong with Colwall and Ledbury Tunnels, there certainly are two bores at both locations! I don't have any photos to support that, but they are definitely there. Colwall's one probably will never see a train in the former Up bore, and I've no idea if those bars still live there. Ledbury's former Down bore, I don't know what's happened to that but with enough motivation I'm sure it could come back to life. I've looked for my photos, but I can't find them. Frustrating, as the Ledbury ones were from the days of 150s regularly running from Birmingham to Hereford.

As for the issues at Worcester, having the ability to use more than one platform when heading to Shrub Hill from Foregate Street would be excellent. Granted, as a passenger it is very useful knowing if you're heading to Shrub Hill there's only one platform to choose from, so no last second platform changes. From a reliability point of view, of course this is far from ideal. If the crossovers ever go in, I would be very happy. I'd be happier still to see Norton Junction to Evesham fully double-tracked, but let's not go there...

As for re-doubling works between Malvern Wells and Shelwick Junction, I would strongly support this. I am biased of course, as it's my local line. This has reminded me I still don't have a photo of the viaduct at Ledbury, which I hope to rectify later this year. I don't honestly think the odds of the second track being reinstated are that good, indeed you'd be more likely to see the railway securely fenced off and a cycle path installed on the old trackbed! Given it's Herefordshire, that certainly won't happen either...

Gloster

Established Member
I don’t know the area, but I think that Ledbury has only ever had the one, constricted single-track bore (someone will probably correct me). Colwall’s original bore is still there, but it was replaced in the 1920s as it was unacceptably tight to the (then) existing rolling-stock.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Really? I thought the Colwall bore was in use until the singling of the route. You could well be right on Ledbury, even as I was typing my previous post I was struggling to remember seeing the other bore on the many, many trips out of Ledbury. I can picture it both being there (in one vision I can clearly view a King leading an express out of the former Down bore) but also not being there and a solid retaining wall being all that's there.

I do also blame my poor memory of it on often being distracted on an eastbound departure!

RichA

Really? I thought the Colwall bore was in use until the singling of the route. You could well be right on Ledbury, even as I was typing my previous post I was struggling to remember seeing the other bore on the many, many trips out of Ledbury. I can picture it both being there (in one vision I can clearly view a King leading an express out of the former Down bore) but also not being there and a solid retaining wall being all that's there.

I do also blame my poor memory of it on often being distracted on an eastbound departure!
Yes Colwall old tunnel was closed when the new bore opened in the 1920s (1926?). The old bore was taken over by the admiralty during the war for munitions storage.

Ledbury remains as built, a tight single bore.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Yes Colwall old tunnel was closed when the new bore opened in the 1920s (1926?). The old bore was taken over by the admiralty during the war for munitions storage.

Ledbury remains as built, a tight single bore.

Well blow me down, that shows how much I know my local route. How embarrassing!

Thank you for clearing that up, I have learnt something new today!

RichA

Well blow me down, that shows how much I know my local route. How embarrassing!

Thank you for clearing that up, I have learnt something new today!
The Colwall end of Colwal tunnel seen hereRood Ashton Hall & Kinlet Hall exit Colwall tunnel towards Hereford October 2008.JPG in 2008. The closed bore is on the left bricked up, the access door is for periodic examination and and bat study. Blast walls are still fitted through the old tunnel from its war time use as a munitions store.

Sprinter107

There is a date engraved on a stone at the Colwall portal of the new tunnel. For some reason can't remember if there is the same at the Malvern Wells end, despite the many times I've gone thro there.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
The Colwall end of Colwal tunnel seen hereView attachment 91443 in 2008. The closed bore is on the left bricked up, the access door is for periodic examination and and bat study. Blast walls are still fitted through the old tunnel from its war time use as a munitions store.

Nice photo! I didn't remember it being bricked up with the closed tunnel, I thought it was fenced off but that just shows how much attention I've paid.

Gloster

Established Member
I thought the GWR line carried straight on at Stourbridge?

Edit : just looked it up and it’s indeed GWR. I always thought it was midland as the line changes from the down at Stourbridge to the up after Stourbridge junction
At Stourbridge North Junction it changes from mileage counting up from Paddington via Worcester to mileage counting down back to Paddington via Snow Hill. I set this in a Railway General Knowledge question a week or so ago.

ac6000cw

Established Member
Also, before the Stourbridge resignalling back in 1991, I can recall that from Droitwich or Kidderminster at least to just beyond Langley Green and before the former Smethwick West station, the mechanical semaphores were unusually the upper quadrant type (the clear or "off" position is raised to the eleven o'clock position) being as the Stourbridge route was a former Great Western Railway line, whereas in typical GWR style (and at Worcester) the semaphores were the lower quadrant type (the clear or "off" is lowered to the seven o'clock position).
Based on my memories from when I grew up in Black Country and got interested in railways from about 1972 onwards, Stourbridge - Smethwick (my local line) was a mixture of lower and upper quadrant semaphores e.g. from memory Stourbridge Junction 'Middle' box controlled mostly lower quadrant, but the 'North' box splitting junction signals were upper quadrant. It appeared that upper quadrant signals had replaced the ex-GWR signals on an almost ad-hoc basis over the years since the LMR had taken over the route. I think Rowley Regis had a mixture as well. I can't remember about Cradley and Langley Green.

The line from Stourbridge junction to smethwick was the midland railway line so that’ll be why the the semaphores were upper quadrant.
The Midland Railway used lower-quadrant semaphores, like most (all?) pre-grouping UK railways.

The 1924 IRSE report into future signal types and indications recommended against adopting 3-position upper quadrant power semaphores (of which there were some experimental installations at the time) and to use 3-aspect colour lights instead. That paved the way to generally adopt 2-position upper quadrant semaphores, as there could not be any confusion between 2 & 3 position upper quadrant semaphore indications. (On a 3 position upper quadrant semaphore, standard arm positions & indications are/were: vertical = clear, 45 degrees = caution, horizontal = stop).

Status
Not open for further replies.