• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rambling Roebuck... (Trip Reports)

Far north 37

Established Member
29/11/19 - And Swinging back again (dodging the terror attack)

After my good night's sleep I was keen to get going again, so hit the station for a coffee and flapjack breakfast, consumed on nice winners 707016/707020 whilst heading to Clapham Junction. I spotted a winner waiting here, with the bonus that it could be taken to a required shack, so the delights of 378216 were duly sampled to Clapham High Street. A short walk here, and it was back on the Northern Line, hoping for better luck than the previous day.

And lucky I was, with the linear leaping producing the following, all winner :
51649/650 Clapham North to Clapham Common
51652/653 Clapham Common to Clapham South
51642/643 Clapham South to Balham;

Moving upstairs here, my luck continued. First up was winning trio 377322/377323/377111 as far as the pleasantly tidy Gipsy Hill, then another winning trio to another required Hill, this time 377324/377312/377416 to Forest Hill. This brought me back to London Overground territory, and the winners continued with 378233 to new shack Brockley, then 378144 to new shack Hoxton for a smoke (the train behind being cancelled).

All good things come to an end, and dud 378140 was my steed to Haggerston, the final required shack on the East London section of the Overground. However, winner 378142 was just behind, on a Dalston Junction terminator. Crossing platforms here, another dud in 378146 turned up to take me on Dalston Junction to Highbury and Islington, where I indulged in some more linear tube bashing - rather succesfully:
Winners 11023/024 to Finsbury Park
Winners 11063/064 to Seven Sisters
Winners 11077/078 to Tottenham Hale.

Back upstairs to the big railway (being rebuilt here), and the search for a shack score was successful here, winning pair 317649/317342 taking me to Brimsdown for a scuttle through the subway and on to fellow winners 317672/317513 back to Tottenham Hale. (Not only were these four required, three were sight requirements - don't tend to bother with these in reports, but reducing my 317 needs by 50% in two moves deserves a mention.)

The next move was a guaranteed pair of winners, as I thought it about time that I sampled a 379 before they got transferred to Corby! 379007/379011 duly obliged to Liverpool Street. Here, I noted a pair of 315s awaiting departure to Shenfield, so I hurried to board them, and was flabbergasted to get yet another winning pair, with 315824/315849 producing for the short run to Stratford.

I thought about the DLR here, but decided against when quadruple winning Central line set 92147/042/256/305 pulled into the adjacent platform and were taken thence to Leyton. It was now definitely time to calm down; a smoke break outside led to a perusal of the bus stop and a trip on bus VN36136 to Walthamstow.

The first thing I noticed here was a pair of 66s (66732 being the tail gunner) heading for Chingford, presumably on leaf/rail treatment duty. The next thing was a continuation of my ridiculous run of luck, with winning pair 315816/315811 taking me to Clapton, the last required shack on the branch. Another winner, 315806, returned me to St James Street, where I crossed over for 317889/317729, the latter surprisingly being dud, down to Hackney Downs.

From here, I had plans for scratching a shack that had gotten away on previous trips. I did so, but hadn't realised that Walthamstow diagrams recycled themselves on the Edmonton lines! Thus it was new old friends 315811/315816 as far as Stamford Hill (for the shack) and 317729/317889 on to Seven Sisters, where the small run of duds continued with 11053/054 on the Vic to Finsbury Park.

It was now time to head towards Euston, and I did so in an orgy of further winners, with 700112 taking me to St Pancras International, 700003 onwards to Farringdon, 21049/050 back to Kings Cross St Pancras and finally 21473/474 to Euston Square.

Walking across to the mainline station, there was the usual chaos and my intended train was cancelled. However, this did give an opportunity for one last shack score, with double winners (inevitably) 350117/350238 transporting me to Leighton Buzzard, to pick up 350119/350111 on the Crewe and Rugeley splitter (the latter being my penultimate winner of the trip before being detached after a slow run to Birmingham New Street; 350119 continuing solo to Stafford and a leg stretch for me.

The last winner of the day soon appeared, with 350237 taking me from Stafford to Crewe; then the duds set in with 390131 on to Manchester Piccadilly, Trams 3066 and 3055 into and out of St Peters Square on the way across to Victoria and finally 153316/150114 home to Rochdale.

A spur of the moment trip, where I was perhaps luckier than I deserved - particularly when I heard what had happened on London Bridge that day...
66703 was the other loco paired with 66732 working 3S81.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
I typed this up whilst enroute, hence the unusually prompt report...

23/01/20 - Manchester Ranging

A strange shift at work today, 5pm to 1015pm, saw me back out on the rails. First up was dud tram 3115 from Rochdale Town Centre to Rochdale Railway Station, then fish - barrel winner 195103 from Rochdale to Manchester Victoria. Herein was 802212, and also a small green winner heading out but positioning itself nicely to be collared in 30 minutes time! In the interim, time for some rather splendid thrash from winner 68027 up the hill from Manchester Victoria to Stalybridge, passing 09009 at Miles Platting. On arrival at Staly Vegas, the wait was enlivened by a passing 802215, then I dived onto the previously marked-out-for-scooping 153380 and dud and toiletless 150209 for a trip from Stalybridge to Ashton under Lyne where I made a cross platform leap onto dud 150210 back to Stalybridge.

Here, I found myself getting off the same train as an old friend, off to his "local" at the Stalybridge buffet bar. So an interval was had involving two pints of something nice called Millstone, a sausage roll including blue cheese and viewing dud 68022 and 802211/217. Then, as booked, winner 68023 turned up to shove me back down to Victoria.

I was going to head back from here to Staly for required 68021 on the fourth pennine cat diagram, but a couple of other potential winners caught my attention. So, pausing only to note 66558 on the Bin liner, I joined "how have I not had this before" winner 319385 up to Salford Crescent, passing 66756 at Ordsall stone terminal enroute.

Waiting for a winner here, and first arrivals to fit the bill were 331014/331015, taken for the short hop to Oxford Road on a Hazel Grove service. They were soon followed by fellow winner 195110 to Piccadilly.

Quick turnaround here, as it was time to be homewards (or rather workwards bound): 195015/195004 were a nice winning pair as far as Oxford Road, where a light engine in 66415 provided amusement; while the next move up to Salford Crescent was mandatory and was righteously dud in the form of 150133/150149.

I wasn't for stopping long here, either, and 158843/153317 took me back round to Victoria and, as it was a through Leeds service, home to Rochdale. This last bit of the trip was enlivened by overtaking locos - 66756 and it's stone train on Miles Platting Bank, what was probably 68022 which was making lots of noise on the bank but didn't appear to be moving, and finally (and more Old Skool) a looped 60047 on its train of imported cat litter, on its way to Drax

Not a bad little day with nine local winners (of five classes), a couple of beers and a natter.. And I'm not working tomorrow - and have not yet scored a shack this year - hmn, watch this space... :)

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
It's now Thursday lunchtime, and Saturday has been pencilled in for a day out. The question is to where! I've been surfing the net for possibilities, and four come to mind.

Firstly, a day return to Chester and a Day Ranger to clear Chirk, Gobowen and the shacks between Gwyrsyllt and Hawarden, plus Helsby and/or Frodsham on the way back.

Or a Lancashire Ranger, starting early to get rid of the seven shacks I need on the Fylde, then freelancing for required stuff (not had a 397 or 802 yet).

Or a Day Return to Garsdale (clearing up to seven shacks at the Southern end of the Skipton to Carlisle route). The weather forecast needs to be good for this.

Or a Day return to Thurgarton(!), costs the same as Nottingham, gives a variety of traction and judicious breaking of the return journey scores the three shacks needed between Nottingham and Sheffield as well as two or three on the Newark line.

Decisions...

Last edited by a moderator:

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
I had rather a good day out.

It started with 195126 on the 08:35 from Rochdale to Hebden Bridge, for a coffee in the sun from the excellent cafe at the station.

20 minutes later, 158757 took me forwards on the 09:15 Hebden Bridge to Leeds (via Brighouse). I normally plan to avoid changing trains at Leeds if at all possible - even pre-Covid it was a nuisance and a one-way system enforced by Rylan Clark Neal look-and-soundalikes on my last visit made it into one of the lower circles of kettle 60513's inferno. However, changing from Platform 13B to 14 is a ten yard level walk, which is just about tolerable. I was surprised to see 43378 and 43304 topping and tailing a Plymouth service here - good to see an HST in service. However it was soon time to depart, on my first winner of the day, 195133 on the 10:18 Leeds to York. 43102, 43274, and 91106 were lurking among the units when I passed Neville Hill, whilst arriving at York brought the trio of 66303, 68003 and 37422 into view, on the Dr's stabling point.

A brisk walk across the platform here, to join the 11:00 to Scarborough with required 68029 in charge. Noting 60163 "Tornado" and 09017 outside the NRM, I settled back to enjoy a scenic run to Malton, my first required shack of the day.

I had a walk into the town centre here, looks to be a decent and bustling market town, then headed back to the station and joined required 68031 for the run to another new shack at Seamer.

Not much to note here, but I didn't have long to wait before required 170476 appeared on the 13:05 Hull service, which I took as far as Bempton, also a new shack. The village here is five minutes walk away, so with 40 minutes to wait I had a walk and mooch round - looks a pleasant place, and had an open pub, serving food. I was tempted, but had plans for lunch.

These involved another required unit, 170458 taking me back to Filey (again, a new shack). Here, I went in search of Fish and Chips, which were found and consumed sitting in a small park, and which confirmed my long held opinion that F&C is at its best from the seaside on the North Sea coast!

I returned to the station to pick up the returning 170458 on the 15:15 to Hull, which I took all the way. Hull brought an unexpected bonus - an arrival from Meadowhall which was a few minutes late. Which meant that the return working of the stock was late and in turn meant I could connect from my 16:23 arrival onto the 16:21 departure, which in turn meant I could visit an awkward shack!

I therefore boarded 170459 (previously sampled from Aviemore to Dunblane) for a ride out to the sparsely served Broomfleet, which is surrounded by fields and not much else. Sounds a boring place, but going back 150 years, the fields would likely be being tilled by ancestors or cousins of mine, so there was a certain interest in looking about and trying to identify farmhouses which I had previously seen on 19th century census records.

However,158901 appeared on time at 16:52, and took me back as far as Brough. This is a dullish place, with a brutally modernised station but getting off here meant I could intercept another required Scottish refugee,170474 on the 17:25 to Selby, which by contrast is a very pleasant, old style station with a lovely footbridge.

However 10 or so minutes here, and it was back east again, on the 18:00 to another new shack at Howden, courtesy of 185131. Not much here, either, the station being well out of the town centre, but 10 minutes later I was rescued by 155341, taking me all the way through to York, via Sherburn.

One thing I didn't expect to see today was a pacer, but 142047 was hanging around Gascoigne Wood, with various other random bits of defunct stock. And on arrival at York I had time for a bit of gratuitous shack and unit scratching with required 170472 taking me out to Poppleton, which thinks it's in Cornwall judging by the palm tree by the platform, and equally required 170461 returning me to York. Outside the NRM were first generation DMU vehicles 51562 and 51922 - wasn't expecting to see one of these today, either.

From York, it was definitely time to head homewards. My first experience of the class, 802217 on the 19:49 to Liverpool provided a smooth and speedy run, and as a bonus stopped at Dewsbury, meaning I avoided having to change in Leeds!

Next up was 158757 again, taking me through to Mytholmroyd, where I dropped back one service for a final cheeky winner in 195106 on the 21:31 to Rochdale.

A very enjoyable day out, long awaited. Now to plan next Saturday!

Last edited:

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Sounded like a nice day out :)
It was. You don't know how much you have missed something until you do it again.

By the way - thanks for your blog. Most entertaining and informative to go back a few years and see how you dealt with "awkward" stations!

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
A report involving 31601 to follow perhaps?
Go on then…

8th June 2021 - A pleasant day out.

The previous week, something useful finally appeared on Facebook. Gen that 31601 was having a final fling on the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway before moving on to pastures new. 31601 was required for haulage, and I had never previously visited the EVR. So I chinged out for a compartment on the 13.00 departure from Wirksworth. Boarding was not allowed at Duffield, due to the ridiculously over-the-top social distancing rules imposed by the current fascist regime, which meant the pain of getting to Wirksworth via public transport.

So early Tuesday morning found me heading up to the station on trams 3023/3020, then purchasing an anytime return to New Mills Central and a Derbyshire Wayfarer, then boarding dud 195128 for the speedy run down to Manchester Victoria, passing 66620 on Miles Platting Bank. A round-the-houses ride across to Piccadilly on the free bus left me with plenty of time to grab breakfast from Greggs, then join
195013 on the 0819 stopper to New Mills. Here, I did the 10 minute walk up to Newtown (saved six quid by booking to Central instead) then festered in the sunshine for 150224/150106 to take me up to Buxton, where I had a pleasant mooch.

The next bit was by bus, on the Transpeak service all the way to Belper, via Bakewell and Matlock. A pleasant, scenic ride, during which I noted 66732 stuck at a signal somewhere south of Ambergate. Then a change of bus, for the short run up to Wirksworth.

This seems to be a pleasant little town, but I had an appointment with the day's main event, so I walked down the hill to the station, showed my reservation to a pleasant bloke who was checking them, then entered my isolation room aka Compartment 18.

The required 31601 (or 31186 in old money) was working as promised, and powered a reasonably loud trundle down to Duffield for a break, ran round and then performed a slightly louder version of the same back up to Wirksworth. Here I had a few minutes to look around, noting 33103, the remains of 58022 and Iris the Railcar before trotting back up the hill and joining another bus for the short run to Matlock Bath, which on a summer day has more chip shops per square centimetre than Blackpool.

Dodging the crowds, I decided I'd had enough of buses, so joined the unnecessarily renumbered 156912 for a run down to Derby. Half an hour here to grab a sandwich, then I struck lucky with winner 222002 up to Chesterfield, for a 20 minute fester during which 66144 and 66167 stormed through on freights then another winner in 222102 up to Sheffield.

Definitely homeward bound now, with 195009 providing the power on a Manchester stopper, then crap trams 3053/3057 took long enough to get to Victoria that I missed my planned train home (annoyingly, would be winner 195022) so suffered 150135/150111 up to Rochdale, tram 3119 out to Newbold for a raid on Morrisons for some supplies, and finally trams
3060/3071 down to town.

Not a bad day out, will do the EVR again some time. The goyle did as it should, the winning meridians were a nice bonus, but the highlight was probably the Derbyshire scenery.

xotGD

Established Member
Sounds like an enjoyable day. I've never been to the EVR, but it is on the 'to do' list when we return to normal times.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've not done the bit between Buxton and Matlock yet, but with such a good review of the scenery it is absolutely on my to-do list now. Not sure it's an area I'm comfortable cycling in mind, there be a few hills up there after all...

I liked the EVR when I did it years ago on a 33 running day. Liked the DMUs as well, they were surprisingly decent. I also did the narrow gauge line in the area, although I forget what that was called.

A shame you missed the winner 195 though!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Wow the rumours are proving true. The ole band is getting it on.

Indeed! Even I have a trip report planned for Thursday. I might even have a number of photos to share, and I am expecting it to be a day of celebrating a milestone achievement too!

I do wonder what the honourable gentleman of Greater Manchester has been up to!

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
I have a most mundane update for today. Am sat on a suitably shamefaced tram 3136, which has finally decided to go in the right direction. Winner, winner, Burger dinner...

Worry not, I'm on a bit of a mission from Thursday to Tuesday, where hopefully more interesting things than trams will be occurring...

Established Member
I have a most mundane update for today. Am sat on a suitably shamefaced tram 3136, which has finally decided to go in the right direction. Winner, winner, Burger dinner...

Worry not, I'm on a bit of a mission from Thursday to Tuesday, where hopefully more interesting things than trams will be occurring...
Look forward to it fine sir. Welcome back too.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Always helps to get the local scores while on the commute/other mandatory move, rather than actively chasing them!

Good luck on your quest, it promises already to be a good read!

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
30/06/2022
A Six-Day Spin - Day 1

The first day of a break is always good for a lie-in, and so this one proved.

A breakfast, a time-filling pint and a bus to Bury with grumpy driver later, I pitched up slightly early for my planned train up to Ramsbottom, so instead enjoyed the bonus of travelling there in a Brake Van behind D832 Onslaught. This is highly recommended - great noise ensued, tunnels reverberated and joy was unconfined.

From the sublime to the dullish next, with winner 60046 returning me to Bury. Nice and shiny paintwork, not that interesting noisewise. But a line in the book.

Next one up out of Bury was 37703, also required, not as shiny as the sixty but nicer to listen to. The buffet car was serving Phoenix Arizona, a decent real ale from Heywood, so I sat down with a pint and enjoyed a run up to. Rawtenstall and back.

Final trip of the day was a spot of gronkery. Whilst 09024 and 03062 have both been sampled before, a last round trip to Ramsbottom with this pair did take both over the 10 mile mark, which I only take notice of for shunters.

Then the bus home, because I do need to be up early tomorrow!

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
1st July 2022 Ranging and Roving southwards…

I did get up early.

Voluntarily.

I then wended my way down to Manchester via tram 3053 and the unlovely pairing of 150105 and 156428 on the Kirkby stopper. 09009 was sleeping in its usual spot at Miles Platting, and 60096 followed close behind, presumably with empties from Drax. Baling at Victoria, I then just failed to get run over by tram 3142 before boarding 3140 over to Piccadilly.

Here I acquired some tickets, these being a cheap off-peak single on Rheilfford Popty-Ping to Crewe, a West Mids Day Ranger and a 3-in-7 day Severn and Solent Rover. I also got a meal deal from M&S Foods for breakfast, then joined Hippo 175113 for a run to Crewe which started 1 minute into the "off peak" and was speedy and comfortable.

A change here onto the Euston Slow, with TPE refugees 350401+350407 taking me one stop to Stafford, the highlights on the way being 87002 on Crewe ex Diesel and 56302 which followed us and chugged through Stafford whilst I was waiting for my next steeds. These proved to be 350405 (another ex TPE one) but with a winning tailgunner in 350232. These took me down to what the Germans probably wouldn't call "Smethwiksche Daltonsbrucke", where I went upstairs.

And was rewarded with winner 172336 plus dud 172217 on a run down to Kidderminster, passing hamsterwheel device 139001 at Stourbridge Junction on the shuttle.

At Kiddy, I crossed the yard and entered the SVR station, bought a return to Highley then walked down the train, looking forward to a winner. Alas, the loco at the front appeared to be the wrong shape! D9551 was apparently unwell, so 31466 substituted.

To be fair the 31 gave me a good run out to Highley, but enroute I had another shock at Bewdley.

I'd successfully ignored the Platinum Jubbly, as being both poisonous and an awkward triangular shape. Unfortunately, the SVR hadn't done the same. Instead, they'd bought gallons of cheap Austin Allegro purple paint and dumped it on top of what was a perfectly decent engine. To add insult to injury, the poor thing was parked next to the perfectly proportioned "Lady of Legend".

I sulked in the sun at Highley, but was rescued by D1062 Western Courier, which provided an entertaining run back to Kiddy.

Back to the big railway, and a check of the timetable meant I had the opportunity of a bonus cheeky shack score. This turned out to be a treble bonus, with winner

172219 plus dud 172345 taking me to Blakedown, then winner 172216 plus dud 172218 bringing me back again. 172336+172217 returned to take me on to Worcester Foregate Street,

There is a Wetherspoons next door but two here, which like all its siblings serves Sausage, Beans and Chips. These filled 40 minutes (as well as myself), then the ultimate ned leap to Shrub Hill scored me winner 800029. 158750 was a decent enough dud through to Cheltenham, then a final winner in 800009 took me through to my base for the next three nights, the Trodge at Swindon Central. Which has the added bonus of the nearest supermarket I found open being a Polish one, so I've just enjoyed Pickled Herring and Coleslaw for supper. Which was gorgeous…

Established Member
Some days there Mr Roebuck. Great reading I did giggle at the German for Smethwick Galton Bridge and Hamster wheel device. I too have stories to tell of the ELR and feel our presence may have been aboard the same trains at times too. Glad you got yourself some winners and a new shack scratch there made up for missing out on D9551 but getting a 31 and a Western more than made up for that loss by the sounds of it. Enjoy the few days away. I eagerly anticipate reading about your sojourns.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
Saturday 02/07/2022 - Wiltshire Gronkery and some pootling.

A reasonably early start from the Travelodge was followed by a curate's egg of a breakfast at the local Spoons. Excellent eggs, dreadful bacon.

I then went to the station and picked up a taxi out to Blunsdon station on the Swindon & Cricklade Railway. Possibly an extravagance, but I hadn't been before, wasn't sure of the bus route or the length of walk required and was dubious about the weather and undesirous of getting wet.

Indeed it was drizzling very slightly when I arrived, but this is a friendly line with plenty to see, so I ambled about until the first train, with winner 73003, was ready to depart.

We duly trundled down to the Southern terminus at Taw Valley (not painted a vile purple nor renumbered 70), then back up through Blunsdon to the Northern station at Hayes Knoll. Here, I departed the train, as the 73 was replaced by 09004 (had it in 2006 at the Spa Valley) and joined the shuttle up to the current limit of service at South Meadow Lane Crossing, which was topped by PWM651 (97651) and tailed by 03152 - both required.

I had two runs on this, one in a Brake Van and one in a beautifully restored coach, with both little locos being in good voice. I then rejoined the main train, where the 09 was replaced by winning 08 D3261. A run back down to Taw Valley, then I walked through the country park to the bus stop, and caught a number 16 back into Swindon.

It was now time to make use of my Severely Solvent rover again, with winner 802106 being taken to Bath, where I dropped back onto another winner in 166217 through to Bristol.

Time now to grab a couple of gratuitously low hanging new shacks. Winner 166206 took me to the first of these, Lawrence Hill, and dud 165109 on to the second, Redland. Winner 166217 returned me to Temple Meads.

It was now time for a longer trip, with double winners 43198 and 43192 taking me to my ticket's extremity at another new shack, Tiverton Parkway. Real Time Trains helpfully shows what units/locos are working trains, so I was able to take winner 802113 back to Taunton, for 43041 (winner) and 43093 (dud) to Bridgewater for a shack score, and a visit to the pub for a pint of cider (when in Zummerzet…) whilst waiting for similar winner/dud pair 43040+43088 back to Bristol. These had lost time, and lost more enroute causing me to miss my planned train at Bristol and change plans slightly.

A couple more obvious shack scores were targeted, with newly dud taking me down to Oldfield Park, winner 158747 back up to Keynsham, where 70803 barrelled through noisily on a freight, winner 165134 back to Bath and finally a last winner with 800315 taking me back to my temporary Swindonian home.

Not a bad day out at all. The S&CR is very pleasant, and I'll be back for 03022 and the DMUs once they're ready for service. Green Azumas seem more pleasant than red ones, somehow, and the winning HSTs were an unexpected bonus (had forgotten that GWR had some short sets!)