• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Random Question: Number plates

Status
Not open for further replies.

GB

Established Member
Evening all,

I know you can display a national flag on the left side of the plate, but does anyone know if it is legal to also display an image on the right side as well?

Thanks

GB

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transmanche

Established Member
I know you can display a national flag on the left side of the plate, but does anyone know if it is legal to also display an image on the right side as well?
No, it's not legal to do so.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
The answer is a no as far as I am aware, the legislation around number plates are very complicated however. Please have a read of this document, specifically page 11. This leaflet is hosted on gov.uk website, issued by the DVLA.
Didn't know it was legal to display a national flag on the left (rather than the EU flag and the GB lettering) - is it?
It is, again see the leaflet I've linked to.

TP

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Neil see Gov.uk for more info on what you can have on number plates in terms of flags.

Flags and national identifying letters
You can display one of the following flags with identifying letters on the left-hand side of the number plate:

Union Flag
Cross of St George
Cross of St Andrew - also known as the Saltire
Red Dragon of Wales

The letters, or national identifiers, you can have are:

GREAT BRITAIN, Great Britain or GB
UNITED KINGDOM, United Kingdom or UK
CYMRU, Cymru, CYM or Cym
ENGLAND, England, ENG, Eng
SCOTLAND, Scotland, SCO or Sco
WALES or Wales

GB

Established Member
Thanks.

Ive joined the ranks of pretentious personal plate owners (:lol:) and when constructing a new plate was thinking about adding owners forum logo moniker (TTOC) on the right. But if its illegal and chance of police pulling me (or MOT fail) I wont bother.

Cheers

Last edited:

transmanche

Established Member
Didn't know it was legal to display a national flag on the left (rather than the EU flag and the GB lettering) - is it?
Yes, the government gave in to pressure from a variety of nationalists quite a few years ago.

HilversumNS

It's also worth noting that only the GB with euro flag is legal overseas, not the ENG/SCO/WAL etc varieties listed by Ainsworth74 which are only legal within the UK.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes indeed the link I provided goes on to explain that if you use something other than the GB/Euro symbol combination you'll need a GB sticker on your car if you go overseas.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Yes, the government gave in to pressure from a variety of nationalists quite a few years ago.

And the next lot will be the Cornish Nationalists, as part of the 'devolution' to be foisted upon those of us living in Cornwall, without a mandate of course.

Temple Meads

Established Member
And the next lot will be the Cornish Nationalists, as part of the 'devolution' to be foisted upon those of us living in Cornwall, without a mandate of course.

Quite a few cars in Cornwall already display a Kernow flag on the left hand side of the plate.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Quite a few cars in Cornwall already display a Kernow flag on the left hand side of the plate.

I've seen several camper vans with Kernow flags on the plates in Yorkshire... Not to mention white rose stickers covering the EU stars round here too. I imagine that you'd only really get pulled over for those if you venture over the hills though!

Status
Not open for further replies.