• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rare Graham Farish lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeboebeefy

Good morning everyone,

Some amazing Graham Farish lights have recently come into my possession, I suppose they may have been made for the purposes of lighting up a display but not sure. If anyone is able to date them or has any information please let me know. I have a set of 5/6, and they have a glass plate covering front, joined by a rubber gasket, which I removed for safe storage and forgot to put back for the photo. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

Attachments

• IMG_1277.JPG
    IMG_1277.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1275.JPG
    IMG_1275.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1276.JPG
    IMG_1276.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1278.JPG
    IMG_1278.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1279.JPG
    IMG_1279.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
The are quite large and chunky, I don't know much about that sort of thing, but I may guess at perhaps 1960s?? They do look like some type of spot light or displays lamps. Do they work. Be careful of the wiring though, in case of any cracking or rotting in the cables, old ones did used to made of rubber which can perish. You may wish to seek professional advice and get them rewired.

John Webb

Established Member
Do the bulbs have any mention of the voltage they run at? Or is there any other marking on the fitting other than the name plate?

Last edited:

joeboebeefy

Thank you both for your responses. I'm trying to source replacement gaskets that fix the glass plate to the lip but they're hard to find! Instead I'm going to try to use the fitting from a pressure cooker. @John Webb there is no other marking on the light itself, but the bulbs are 200W 240V single coil Phillips bulb

John Webb

Established Member
Thank you both for your responses. I'm trying to source replacement gaskets that fix the glass plate to the lip but they're hard to find! Instead I'm going to try to use the fitting from a pressure cooker. @John Webb there is no other marking on the light itself, but the bulbs are 200W 240V single coil Phillips bulb
200W? Did you mean 20W? Fittings don't look big enough for 200W bulbs! Suggest you consider using lower wattage LED bulbs - cheaper to run as you will only need bulbs of 3W or so power consumption.
IMPORTANT: Before you use these fittings, get them electrically tested ("PAT" - Portable Appliance Testing) for earth connection continuity and for insulation resistance.
If using outside, ensure the cable enters from below to prevent any water from running down the cable and getting into the fitting. Run fittings from a circuit protected by a 30mA Residual Current Device (RCD).

joeboebeefy

200W? Did you mean 20W? Fittings don't look big enough for 200W bulbs! Suggest you consider using lower wattage LED bulbs - cheaper to run as you will only need bulbs of 3W or so power consumption.
IMPORTANT: Before you use these fittings, get them electrically tested ("PAT" - Portable Appliance Testing) for earth connection continuity and for insulation resistance.
If using outside, ensure the cable enters from below to prevent any water from running down the cable and getting into the fitting. Run fittings from a circuit protected by a 30mA Residual Current Device (RCD).
No really 200w! Seems mad I know but it's true. Will definitely use LEDs, thanks for your advice

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.