• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Really strange PIS pronunciations

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnychips

Established Member
Currently sat on a 195 to Sheffield. The PIS lady pronounced Hope, not rhyming as ‘rope’, but ‘Howp’ (in fact the train is in this station now, and she’s done it again). It has the vowel sound of ‘cow’.

This is weird. I can understand perhaps the wrong stresses, but this is way out.

I know we’ve had threads like this before, but I think we need a distraction from daily life at the moment.

Any other examples?

EDIT: my prediction is that by post #21, someone will have posted that some locals actually pronounce ‘Slaithwaite’ as ‘Slaithwaite’ not ‘Slawit’.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class800

Established Member
There's the whole Tyndrum one I posted on a while back in another thread with a link to a PIS clip saying it as TIN-DRUM. But apparently some people do actually say that, but seems a minority

bramling

Veteran Member
Currently sat on a 195 to Sheffield. The PIS lady pronounced Hope, not rhyming as ‘rope’, but ‘Howp’ (in fact the train is in this station now, and she’s done it again). It has the vowel sound of ‘cow’.

This is weird. I can understand perhaps the wrong stresses, but this is way out.

I know we’ve had threads like this before, but I think we need a distraction from daily life at the moment.

Any other examples?

EDIT: my prediction is that by post #21, someone will have posted that some locals actually pronounce ‘Slaithwaite’ as ‘Slaithwaite’ not ‘Slawit’.

The female voice on the Scotrail 156s (which do a couple of trips per day from or to Newcastle) get Prudhoe wrong, saying "Prood-hoe" in a delightful Scottish accent!

Or at least that was the case two or three years ago, it might have changed since.

RichardGore

Redhill used to be consistently stressed on the wrong syllable (on the first, it should be the second), but I have not lived in the area for many years so this may have changed.

Andy Pacer

Established Member

Any other examples?

I actually only learnt the correct Slaithwaite pronunciation today whilst on a TPE service!

Established Member
“Newcastle” being pronounced northern style with a hard “a” (ie rhyming with “naff”) by the otherwise Received Pronunciation automatic announcements at King’s Cross always surprises me.

trebor79

Established Member
There's the whole Tyndrum one I posted on a while back in another thread with a link to a PIS clip saying it as TIN-DRUM. But apparently some people do actually say that, but seems a minority
Tin drum is what I'd say, as a Glaswegian Sassenach, how shouldn't be pronounced?

seagull

"Abererch" is probably the worst of several awful pronunciations of stations on the Cambrian Coast: it is announced as Abba-rurch, when it should be, well, I can't really type how it should be said!

Class800

Established Member
Tyndrum is officially TIEN DRUM - with the TIE sound from the men's item of neckwear - but some people say TIN DRUM.

Newcastle - yes heard a lot of different ways including NEW CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASL - which is a bit OTT!

Yes been on a train through Prudhoe and can attest to it being prounced as the poster above says - which I thought was right at the time - clearly not!

bramling

Veteran Member
“Newcastle” being pronounced northern style with a hard “a” (ie rhyming with “naff”) by the otherwise Received Pronunciation automatic announcements at King’s Cross always surprises me.

That does seem to be the "correct" way to say it, I am reliably informed that us Southerners saying it in the R.P. way is completely wrong! In fact, I believe that to be fully correct there's supposed to a slight gap between the new and castle, which if so means she still doesn't get it quite right.

I've heard the same voice at Birmingham New Street attempting some of the Welsh names on the Cambrian Coast and it's quite cringeworthy. She manages to get Alvechurch wrong as well.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The announcements on Chiltern Railways trains and stations rather oddly pronounce Marylebone as Marry-lee-b’n.

northernchris

Established Member

Any other examples?

Although not mispronounced, the way the Northern PIS lady says Barnsley is quite amusing, it's as if she is questioning the way it's said

Gloster

Established Member
In recent years I have heard Lie-mington (the one south of Brockenhurst) and Bosh-ham (between Havant and Chichester). Years ago I heard the station between Dawlish and Newton Abbot pronounced as though it was east of Newcastle. And as for Frome...

Whistler40145

Established Member
I remember a few years ago on a Blackpool North to Manchester Airport service, Kirkham & Wesham was announced as Kirkham & Wisham, whereas when local announcement says Kirkham & Wes-Ham

MrEd

Tyndrum is officially TIEN DRUM - with the TIE sound from the men's item of neckwear - but some people say TIN

That’s right- the locals (Perthshire folk, which is a softer accent than the central belt) say Tyne-Drum as you say, but lots of folk outwith Perthshire/Gaelic-speaking areas say Tin-drum. The local pronunciation reflects the Gaelic Taigh an Droma, it’s original name.

The Scotrail PIS can never get Stromeferry or Duirinish right- again, this might be because a lot of Scottish pronunciations are localised, so not always known by folk outwith that area. The correct pronunciation of Stromeferry is Strome rhyming with ‘home’ (in a highland accent), not ‘Stroom’ rhyming with ‘broom’ as the Scotrail announcements suggest. Similarly, Duirinish is correctly ‘Dyoo-ra-nish’ with three syllables, not ‘Durnish’ as the PIS says.

Another contested Scottish one is Lochluichart- most Scottish folk would say ‘Lochloochart’ (as the PIS does) but some Ross-shire locals and old-school Inverness conductors say (more correctly) ‘Lochliechart’, rhyming roughly with ‘lie’. Again, probably a very localised pronunciation perhaps inherited from how the place (Loch Laoicheart) was originally pronounced in the local dialect of Gaelic.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
"Abererch" is probably the worst of several awful pronunciations of stations on the Cambrian Coast: it is announced as Abba-rurch, when it should be, well, I can't really type how it should be said!
"Abbair-airk" would be an approximation.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
There’s something not quite right about Alnmouth when the Southampton announcements attempt it. On the other hand last time Alnmouth came up for discussion here, there was little consensus on the correct pronunciation anyway...

Whistler40145

Established Member
There’s something not quite right about Alnmouth when the Southampton announcements attempt it. On the other hand last time Alnmouth came up for discussion here, there was little consensus on the correct pronunciation anyway...
Should it be pronounced without the l as Anmouth?

johnnychips

Established Member
Damn! I was wrong about somebody telling us about Slaithwaite/‘Slawit’.
It might help if posters tell us how they think things should be pronounced compared with the PIS.
I lived in Southampton in the late 70s, and Micheldever was always pronounced ‘Mitchell-deever’ over the PA. Perhaps @Bob M can tell us the right way to say it!

Andyh82

Established Member
The Northern auto announcer also pronounces the place just to the west of Halifax as “Sour-by Bridge”

SteveM70

Established Member
The female voice on the Scotrail 156s (which do a couple of trips per day from or to Newcastle) get Prudhoe wrong, saying "Prood-hoe" in a delightful Scottish accent!

Or at least that was the case two or three years ago, it might have changed since.

The automated announcements at Glasgow Central were pronouncing it like that on Monday

Always thought Alnmouth was pronounced "Allenmouth".

Yes, that’s right

What should it be as a matter of interest?

Sowerby Bridge is pronounced Sore-by Bridge

CBlue

I remember First Capital Connect era announcements at stations used to pronounce St Neots as "Saint Kneeee-uts"

Honourable mention of course goes to Great Northern's Class 387's which happily announce themselves as "This is a, service, to London Kings Cross." I assume the PIS doesn't know how to say Great Northern as they were originally Southern units?

paulmch

I remember First Capital Connect era announcements at stations used to pronounce St Neots as "Saint Kneeee-uts"

Honourable mention of course goes to Great Northern's Class 387's which happily announce themselves as "This is a, service, to London Kings Cross." I assume the PIS doesn't know how to say Great Northern as they were originally Southern units?

This always gets my attention! Sort of similar to when EMT were still around and they clearly didn't get the timing right on the recordings:

"Platform 2 for the 12:27 East Midlands Trains....................service to....London St Pancras."

johnnychips

Established Member
It surprised me when I moved to Southampton, which I assumed was pronounced ‘South - ham - pton’ as per BBC. When you got there, the locals said something like ‘Serthamton’. However the BBC pronunciation continued on trains.

Energy

Established Member
The announcements on Chiltern Railways trains and stations rather oddly pronounce Marylebone as Marry-lee-b’n.
Marylebone has so many different pronunciations that there isn't really 1 correct way of pronouncing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.