• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RealTimeTrains website

duffield

Established Member
The issue appears to be Berrylands Jn. This appears as a timing point in all Up Fast trains towards Waterloo, however RailMiles doesn't seem to know where it is as any search to or from Berrylands Jn just gives an error.
Must admit I can't see Berrylands Jn. at all - My rail atlas (S.K. Baker) doesn't list it in the index and shows New Malden Junction to the east of Berrylands station, and Surbiton, then Hampton Court Junction to the west.

But today the STP services to and through Woking from Waterloo *do* all seem to be showing mileages. Next Tuesday, not so. Sample service (2F19 0950 Waterloo to Woking) has 23 timing points shown today, all with mileages, but next Tuesday only 19 and no mileages. If I'd been guessing, I would have thought the STP entries would be less detailed in this respect and the regular entries more so.

Anyhow, that does very much illustrate that it's not actually the route as such, it's exactly which timing points have been entered for each specific service, and given that that can vary on the same route and even for the same service on different days, that would really explain why it has seemed quite random at times.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom

Berrylands Jn is the crossovers between the slow and fast lines north east of Surbiton station from memory.

@greatkingrat is mostly correct, if RailMiles doesn’t know the location of all timing points then it won’t show the mileage. They do run slightly different databases though. In addition, if the mileage that RTT calculates works out to a speed faster than the pathed speed it will also eliminate it.

RTT also only does the calculation around 2pm the previous day for the next days services. So you, right now, can only see data for today. Saturday will become available later today, and Tuesday on Monday etc.

xotGD

Established Member
Are all of these stated milages adjusted to take into account the actual departure and arrival platforms of services?

For example, an Airedale service arriving into 9D at Leeds goes a fair bit further than one arriving into 1A.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member

CarrotPie

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240329-150205~2.png
    Screenshot_20240329-150205~2.png
    137.2 KB · Views: 73

duffield

Established Member
Berrylands Jn is the crossovers between the slow and fast lines north east of Surbiton station from memory.

@greatkingrat is mostly correct, if RailMiles doesn’t know the location of all timing points then it won’t show the mileage. They do run slightly different databases though. In addition, if the mileage that RTT calculates works out to a speed faster than the pathed speed it will also eliminate it.

RTT also only does the calculation around 2pm the previous day for the next days services. So you, right now, can only see data for today. Saturday will become available later today, and Tuesday on Monday etc.
Thanks! This really makes things much clearer, particularly this:
RTT also only does the calculation around 2pm the previous day for the next days services.
That's very helpful. And thanks for all your efforts, very much appreciated.

Also, I just checked my more detailed Track Atlas and of course it does show Berrylands junction. Should have looked at that first rather than Baker.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
When will LNWR join? Annoying not knowing in advance which services are 4, 8 and 12 car.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
I've noticed the icon no longer shows up on the list of tabs, looking in the HTML, the icon still loads, it's just inbetween the <body> tags instead of <head>, when I copy and paste the HTML for the icon into the header it loads fine.

It also means my bookmark has gone from the RTT symbol to the default symbol, which would probably confuse anyone who looked at my bookmarks bar since there's now an unlabelled bookmark.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is anyone else having Railmiles not finding journeys when you try to add them? Had to manually enter a journey this morning and again just now. Seems to search for ages before coming back saying it can't find the service.