• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Recent Northern Trainee Driver Advertisement - Leeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lumpa6259

Just wondering if anyone has heard back from the September advertisement for trainee drivers at Leeds yet? Had the two emails late September but nothing since:

Dear $¥€$¥

Thank you again for your application for the above role.

Your application is now under consideration and is being screened.

Please bear with us as we work through all of the applications that we received. We will be in contact again with an update for you as soon as we have one. Rest assured, we will be in touch either way, to advise if your application has been progressed to the next stage in the recruitment process.

Kind regards

The Northern Recruitment Team​

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mattyblob

Maybe you should type the whole message in caps too, so people know how important you are?

EDIT: Thanks for fixing :lol:

Last edited:

Just wondering if anyone has heard back from the September advertisement for trainee drivers at Leeds yet? Had the two emails late September but nothing since:

Dear $¥€$¥

Thank you again for your application for the above role.

Your application is now under consideration and is being screened.

Please bear with us as we work through all of the applications that we received. We will be in contact again with an update for you as soon as we have one. Rest assured, we will be in touch either way, to advise if your application has been progressed to the next stage in the recruitment process.

Kind regards

The Northern Recruitment Team​
Your best bet is to call the Northern recruitment team direct.

heedfan

Maybe just be patient? The email you have had is quite clear. They will be in touch one way or another. It has only been two months.

Lumpa6259

Maybe just be patient? The email you have had is quite clear. They will be in touch one way or another. It has only been two months.

Yeah you are probably right and patience is the key. Just thought I would reach out in case anyone was in a similar situation to me, and if any friendly responses would offer any encouragement. I was clearly wrong though eh
But seriously...thank you for taking the time out to write a couple of lines just to try cause someone asking for help and advice some “mild” annoyance

Last edited:

Let us know how you get on. It’s still showing “application under consideration” for the September Newcastle driver vacancy here too

Lumpa6259

No problem. I don’t see a point in belittling someone when they’re only asking a question.

Good luck

The only reason I asked is that I had seen an update on a separate thread where someone had been interviewed, however, it appeared they were internal so I just made a presumption that was the reason. Then I heard differing opinions that those interviewed already were to be placed through assessments, and anyone waiting to hear back like me were in essence just kept in case enough people didn’t pass. So I am not sure what to believe hence why I asked. I’m aware that recruitment within rail takes time but I didn’t see a harm in asking the question.

Let us know how you get on. It’s still showing “application under consideration” for the September Newcastle driver vacancy here too
Will do pal.

ST

I have also tried the following number in the past:

01904 568101

Good luck!

heedfan

Yeah you are probably right and patience is the key. Just thought I would reach out in case anyone was in a similar situation to me, and if any friendly responses would offer any encouragement. I was clearly wrong though eh
But seriously...thank you for taking the time out to write a couple of lines just to try cause someone asking for help and advice some “mild” annoyance

I'm not sure why you seem to be taking such offence from my post? I am certainly not trying to belittle anyone. I am only trying to point out the facts of the situation you are in.

You have an email from Northern clearly explaining that they will be in touch one way or another. I am trying to make that point to you that you probably just have to be patient here.

Railway recruitment takes an incredibly long time and Northern in particular are known for taking a significant time to process applications. Two months is not a long time at all for this process.

Phoning recruitment is of course an option but realistically what do you expect from that conversation? You will probably just be told to wait for an update and that they are still working through vacancies.

Lumpa6259

I'm not sure why you seem to be taking such offence from my post? I am certainly not trying to belittle anyone. I am only trying to point out the facts of the situation you are in.

You have an email from Northern clearly explaining that they will be in touch one way or another. I am trying to make that point to you that you probably just have to be patient here.

Railway recruitment takes an incredibly long time and Northern in particular are known for taking a significant time to process applications. Two months is not a long time at all for this process.

Phoning recruitment is of course an option but realistically what do you expect from that conversation? You will probably just be told to wait for an update and that they are still working through vacancies.

Thank you. Was more bemused than offended but maybe I didn’t put enough information on the initial entry.

It was more a case that I became aware others who applied at the same time had been invited to interviews\assessments etc from reading across various threads, and as such, I was trying to gauge why they had and I hadn’t.

i.e Do they do this in batches ? Do they invite internal applicants along first? Do they select the best candidates but have a reserve list etc...

I know that it can take considerable amounts of time but it was really to see if others had been processed quicker and to establish why.

Orange08

I’m in a similar situation mate but for York depot. Applied in August but heard nothing since the generic thanks for your application emails etc...I also know a guy who’s applied for the Leeds role in September and he’s at the same stage as you. Like folk have previously said I think it’s a waiting game unfortunately. Fingers crossed you get some good news though if you do manage to get hold of the recruitment team.

skyhigh

Established Member
I know of 4 internal applicants who have had interviews/assessment days so it might be the case that they're doing internal first. There's quite a backlog of practical handling at the moment so don't be surprised if nothing happens for a while.

I know of 4 internal applicants who have had interviews/assessment days so it might be the case that they're doing internal first. There's quite a backlog of practical handling at the moment so don't be surprised if nothing happens for a while.

Indeed there is a massive backlog. We still have around 70 drivers who don’t sign Class 195 and Class 331’s

WanttoDrive

I had the psychometric tests for the trainee Leeds vacancies today. Very sadly failed :frown:

I got 7 days notice for a DMI on Microsoft teams, which was beginning of November I think - then got the invite for the psychometrics today a couple of weeks ago.

I hadn’t heard anything for a while, but I did email HR and asked if they had any estimates, received a reply a couple of days later saying they were just starting to go through the applications - then received the interview invite within a couple of days...don’t know if it was a coincidence or the fact I reminded them I had passed interview previously earlier this year.

It was my second attempt at psychometrics today, so that is my journey over now.

Ps, I am/was an external applicant, at the tests today were a mixture of completely external and people from other railway roles (non Northern though)

Lumpa6259

I had the psychometric tests for the trainee Leeds vacancies today. Very sadly failed :frown:

I got 7 days notice for a DMI on Microsoft teams, which was beginning of November I think - then got the invite for the psychometrics today a couple of weeks ago.

I hadn’t heard anything for a while, but I did email HR and asked if they had any estimates, received a reply a couple of days later saying they were just starting to go through the applications - then received the interview invite within a couple of days...don’t know if it was a coincidence or the fact I reminded them I had passed interview previously earlier this year.

It was my second attempt at psychometrics today, so that is my journey over now.

Ps, I am/was an external applicant, at the tests today were a mixture of completely external and people from other railway roles (non Northern though)

Mate that’s really bad news. Hopefully they change them in the not too distant so you get 2 more lives.
Was your application for Leeds made in September? I might email them !

Railweigh

When I applied a couple of years ago I didn’t hear a thing for 5 months. Not one email. Then in a 6 week period I went through every stage and started a course. They tend to run several courses from one lot of applications, so some hear back in a shorter space of time than others.

Lumpa6259

When I applied a couple of years ago I didn’t hear a thing for 5 months. Not one email. Then in a 6 week period I went through every stage and started a course. They tend to run several courses from one lot of applications, so some hear back in a shorter space of time than others.

Now that makes perfect sense. Although I really really hate the thought of waiting another 3 months or more!

But yeah that would make everything Ive heard make much more sense.

WanttoDrive

Mate that’s really bad news. Hopefully they change them in the not too distant so you get 2 more lives.
Was your application for Leeds made in September? I might email them !
It just wasn’t meant to be. I was an external candidate from a totally different industry - I was getting very frustrated in my current role, but due to railway moving so slowly I have also been exploring other opportunities within my current industry, which started progressing at the same time too so I am taking the view that the universe has other plans for me.

Yep this application was submitted in September.

Good luck, hopefully you will hear something soon. I got the definite impression from DMI and emails from recruitment that they are keen to allocate people to start courses ASAP

Well you may be in luck in the nearer future. Northern are opening their own training centre which will include a full psychometric department.

ILoveLamp

Well you may be in luck in the nearer future. Northern are opening their own training centre which will include a full psychometric department.
Would he still not be precluded from doing it though due to his two lives lost? Even though they are looking to assess in house, they will surely still need to follow the industry rules and store results with the OPC. I know TfW do their assessments in house and this is certainly the case with them. So unless the industry has a big shake up in how it assesses, unfortunately it will be a wait until then..

How is this lucky, having failed twice?
Because the tests will change. Meaning you will be able to re-apply to take the psychometric tests.

With northern brining it in-house the tests will change without a doubt.

LCC106

Established Member
As others have alluded to, two strikes and you’re out. It doesn’t matter if Northern are bringing the psychometrics in house. I don’t know when the psychometric testing first came into being, certainly prior to 2001, but the resetting of lives only happened in or after 2013 (? don’t quote me on it) when some of the tests changed. Therefore I wouldn’t hold out for that changing again soon. I do believe that there is no limit to the number of failed attempts at London Underground but you need 6 months in between failed attempts there.

heedfan

Because the tests will change. Meaning you will be able to re-apply to take the psychometric tests.

Sorry but that won't reset someone's chances who had failed twice. It will still be the same suite of tests, give or take some of the optional ones perhaps.

LCC106

Established Member

No, 2 strikes and you’re out. The tests are there to assess your natural aptitude for learning and doing the job, which is unlikely to change over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.