• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reducing the default urban road speed limit to 20 mph

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattA7

I’ve always wondered why they don’t stage car licenses in the same way they do motorcycles.

With motorcycles we have 4 different stages AM,A1,A2 and the full unrestricted A license and increased minimum age for the more powerful categories.

In cars we just have the single category B meaning theoretically a 17 year old can pass their test in old 80bhp Learner car then get behind the wheel of a 600+ bhp sports car

It is also odd why a 16 year old can ride a moped (basically a low powered motorcycle/scooter) but not a car given motorcycles are more dangerous than cars.

Moving back on topic I think 20mph should only be used in high risk areas such as near schools, sheltered housing complexes, city centers etc

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
I’ve always wondered why they don’t stage car licenses in the same way they do motorcycles.

With motorcycles we have 4 different stages AM,A1,A2 and the full unrestricted A license and increased minimum age for the more powerful categories.

In cars we just have the single category B meaning theoretically a 17 year old can pass their test in old 80bhp Learner car then get behind the wheel of a 600+ bhp sports car

It is also odd why a 16 year old can ride a moped (basically a low powered motorcycle/scooter) but not a car given motorcycles are more dangerous than cars.

Moving back on topic I think 20mph should only be used in high risk areas such as near schools, sheltered housing complexes, city centers etc

Good luck finding an insurer that will insure a 17 year old on a 600bhp car!

Status
Not open for further replies.