• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Remaining single lines with traditional token working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Here’s a couple of amusing token stories from years back.

Wickford - Southminster
Driver gets token from Wickford signalman for the section to Fambridge. Hangs token pouch on the cab door handle but then sets sail with it still there. Token flies off into a bush somewhere en route causing suspension of service until resolved.

West Thurrock Jn - Ockendon
Weekend resignalling does away with token working. Driver of first train across the branch doesn’t know and stops at the box for the token as previously. Signalman, with no token to offer, gives the driver the signal box broom instead, which does a trip to Upminster and back before being returned.

Gloster

Established Member
Sorry if this is a daft question, but I’m not railway staff. I understand what you’re saying at face value, but presumably this is applicable only in “normal” circumstances? What happens for example if the train in the single line section fails? Is there some sort of “management override” that would allow a second train in to recover the failure?

My knowledge is many years out of date, but you would wait until you had absolute confirmation that the train had failed and would not move, where it was and that it was protected by detonators. You would then arrange for another loco or unit to go in and rescue it. The rescuing driver would be told exactly where the failure was and would run at a prudent speed until they reached the protecting detonators (a quarter-mile from the failure, if I remember correctly), where one of the traincrew would meet them and guide them to the failure.

It was a slow and time consuming process, particularly if the failure was out in the middle of nowhere. Communication was difficult as in a long section there might only be occasional telephones at farm crossings. At least on double-track you could stop a train in the opposite direction and get them to find out what had happened: no chance on single-lines.

It was all organised by signalmen, with the assistance of traincrew and control. Wise management kept well clear and let us get on with it.

6Gman

Established Member
Llanrwst.

Not Llanwrst.

Thank you.

(Named after the Celtic saint Crwst. Not Cwrst.)

RPI

Established Member
The entire Tarka Line is no-signalman remote token working.
I think Cowley Bridge to Crediton isn't?

Crediton to Okehampton and Okehampton to Meldon

Is Yeovil Pen Mill to Maiden Newton and Maiden Newton to Dorchester West still tolen operated?

SteveM70

Established Member
My knowledge is many years out of date, but you would wait until you had absolute confirmation that the train had failed and would not move, where it was and that it was protected by detonators. You would then arrange for another loco or unit to go in and rescue it. The rescuing driver would be told exactly where the failure was and would run at a prudent speed until they reached the protecting detonators (a quarter-mile from the failure, if I remember correctly), where one of the traincrew would meet them and guide them to the failure.

It was a slow and time consuming process, particularly if the failure was out in the middle of nowhere. Communication was difficult as in a long section there might only be occasional telephones at farm crossings. At least on double-track you could stop a train in the opposite direction and get them to find out what had happened: no chance on single-lines.

It was all organised by signalmen, with the assistance of traincrew and control. Wise management kept well clear and let us get on with it.

Thank you

fishwomp

Heart of Wales, and Pembroke and Tenby branch are no signalman key token.

The most unusual I have been on was Heysham branch, where (1990s but is it still so?) - there was an actual wooden staff for the line - only used by the ship connection and nuclear flasks. Primitive but never been a signal failure, woodworm may be more of an issue!

Taunton

Established Member
I have a range of old ones on the wall in my house. The brass Tyers ones from the ex-LSWR lines in the west polish up a treat with Brasso.

How many remaining lines still use hoops with the token?

They were one of the things that fascinated the general public, especially with traditional dmus when the procedure could be seen at the front. Two old ladies said to one another we had to wait "until they give the driver a lollipop". One with Annetts keys attached was similarly described to a companion as "giving them the ignition keys".

Best was a (possibly knowledgeable) father, with small child, in the front seats. The traditional wooden staff was handed over. "What's that, dad?". "Oh, that's for our driver, to make sure there's only one train on the line. If we meet another train our driver can stop, go over to the other driver, and hit him over the head with it ...".

dgl

Established Member
Between Yeovil Pen Mill and Maiden Newton is token operated, with Maiden Newton being driver operated and Pen Mill now being done by the signaller (I believe due to issues with the driver operated equipment there).

Gathursty

Established Member
The most unusual I have been on was Heysham branch, where (1990s but is it still so?) - there was an actual wooden staff for the line - only used by the ship connection and nuclear flasks. Primitive but never been a signal failure, woodworm may be more of an issue!
Whenever I see the Heysham Boat train pass on the last stretch, it's lunchtime for me and when it passes back it's back to teach some more.

Right Away

Is Yeovil Pen Mill to Maiden Newton and Maiden Newton to Dorchester West still tolen operated?

Yeovil Pen Mill to Maiden Newton is token operated under the supervision of the signaller at Yeovil Pen Mill. During normal operation, the number of tokens in the up instrument decreases as they are withdrawn whilst those in the down instrument increase as they are replaced. There is a special cradle used for transferring the tokens from the down side hut to the up side hut which is done a couple of times per week by Network Rail staff with authority from the signaller.

Maiden Newton to Dorchester West is operated by Tokenless Block. It is an unusual version as the driver of a down train presses a plunger to effectively offer their own train to the signaller at Dorchester South when they are ready to accept it. A driver of an up train presses a plunger to confirm that their train has arrived complete at Maiden Newton from Dorchester and clear the block.

Taunton

Established Member
Yeovil Pen Mill to Maiden Newton is token operated under the supervision of the signaller at Yeovil Pen Mill. During normal operation, the number of tokens in the up instrument decreases as they are withdrawn whilst those in the down instrument increase as they are replaced. There is a special cradle used for transferring the tokens from the down side hut to the up side hut which is done a couple of times per week by Network Rail staff with authority from the signaller.
Must have a lot of tokens. Traditionally the old WR used to set each section up with 20, 10 at each end initially. But with up to 9 trains a day on summer Saturdays and them being refreshed just a couple of times a week, it must need 40 or so.

Right Away

Must have a lot of tokens. Traditionally the old WR used to set each section up with 20, 10 at each end initially. But with up to 9 trains a day on summer Saturdays and them being refreshed just a couple of times a week, it must need 40 or so.
Indeed there are a lot. There are 4 instruments in total with the two at Maiden Newton, one in Yeovil Pen Mill signal box and a further auxiliary instrument on the platform at Yeovil Pen Mill (seldom used unless the signaller is unable to leave the box because of other duties). The Yeovil end is normally ok as usually at that end the signaller both issues and replaces tokens on the same instrument. Maiden Newton needs the Network Rail staff to visit owing to the seperate instruments on the up and down platforms.

Cletus

Established Member
What happens at St Budeaux on the line to Gunnislake? Only been on that line once and can't picture the procedure.

CC 72100

Established Member
Yes, as has been posted above, the issue is that in normal working, one machine at Maiden Newton 'receives' all the tokens on the platform where trains from Yeovil arrive, whereas the machine for trains towards Yeovil only tends to 'issue' tokens.

Hence token transfers in the magazine from the machine on the down platform to the one on the Up platform.

Gloster

Established Member

Recollection is that around 40 was normal for locations where tokens for departing trains were issued by the signal box and the arriving ones were put into an instrument on the platform (or vice-versa, or similar arrangement). If there were very busy locations with a particularly uneven service they might have more, but quiet locations with a very even service might have only a handful.

The reason for auxiliary token instruments at many remote locations is that otherwise the traincrew will have a lot of walking about, which will delay trains. If I am correct about the situation at Eggesford, the driver of a train from Exeter can go into a hut at the Country end of the Down platform close to his cab, contact the signalman at Crediton, return the Crediton-Eggesford token and, after getting a release from the signalman, remove an Eggesford-Barnstaple token and depart. On returning he goes into a hut at the London end of the Up platform, returns the token from Barnstaple, gets a release for one to Crediton, removes it and departs. There are two instruments in each hut, one for each section, a total of four. If there was only one instrument for each section at Eggesford, then there would a lot of tooing and froing, leading to delays. Tokens therefore build up in one of each section’s pair of instruments and become scarcer in the other.

It is also possible to have an auxiliary instrument at locations with a signal box, but the reasons for this are varied: avoiding an additional stop at the signal box, avoiding signalmen having to leave a busy box, the possibility of trains on another line blocking the signalman’s path, etc. Again, this might require the transfer of tokens, which - if I remember correctly - always had to be an even number, which was done with care and recorded by the signalman. Mislaying a token would be a very serious matter.

What happens at St Budeaux on the line to Gunnislake? Only been on that line once and can't picture the procedure.

It is years since I’ve been that way, but I think that there was a cabinet at Victoria Road which contained a staff that was released by Plymouth Panel after a telephone call. This acted as the One Train Staff and also had attached the (Annetts?) key that released the ground frame at Bere Alston.

Last edited:

JRT

Blackpool South line is controlled from Manchester ROC using axle counters.
Normally one train allowed past Kirkham and Wesham, which limits it to an hourly service, but a golf event by Ansdell and Fairhaven (Seve was playing so it was a few years ago) allowed an half-hourly service by securely splitting the line at the station.

Marton

I can confirm that the Middlesbrough-Whitby line comes under your third classification. It is operated by the box at Nunthorpe with tokens issued on the "no signalman token remote" basis.
Is it not more accurate to say Nunthorpe to Whitby?

Middlesbrough to Nunthorpe is not token controlled. The first transfer is leaving Nunthorpe where the train stops on the crossing to receive it.

Greybeard33

Established Member
I've seen the exchange at Rainford, and a hoop was involved.
Rainford Jn to Kirkby is a dead end section with shut-in, using key tokens issued from the Rainford Jn box. When a freight train has entered the Knowsley sidings, its token is locked in an instrument there. The signaller can then allow a passenger train into the section.

Taunton

Established Member
The GWR automatic token exchanger was different to the Manson's Patent one in Scotland; it looked like a pair of scissors. On the Taunton to Barnstaple line trains normally stopped at all stations and the signalman was on the platform, but on summer Saturdays there were holiday train nonstops, and Taunton shed used to attach the "scissors" (automatic tablet exchange) to the left hand cab railing, and the lineside exchange unit outside the signalbox was brought into use.

It normally worked OK, but one certainly cannoned off at speed into a blackberry bush and was never seen again, which caused some considerable delay. Another fell off the footplate - in the dark, which was more of an embarrassment. It had happened years before my time, but the fireman, now driver, was known to all as "Dropper" for the rest of his time.

Without a doubt the best token stories, and there are plenty of them, are in David L Smith's books about the Glasgow & South Western Railway :

'... temporary single line working near Glasgow past some major works. Driver realises fireman has not done this before, so shows how to pick it up. At the other end says to fireman "just lean out, a man will be trackside, drop the hoop over what he's holding". Unfortunately the surveyor had just set up his theodolite beside the track ...'

It is also possible to have an auxiliary instrument at locations with a signal box, but the reasons for this are varied: avoiding an additional stop at the signal box, avoiding signalmen having to leave a busy box, the possibility of trains on another line blocking the signalman’s path, etc. .
Certainly when the Cotswold Main Line, Oxford to Worcester, was knocked back to single line in the late 1960s, with conventional tokens, auxiliary instruments were rapidly provided at stations to avoid trains, especially delayed ones, having to slow past signalboxes that were some distance out. I believe it was the drivers' discretion whether to drop off at the box or the station stop.

Last edited:

theblackwatch

Established Member
Must say I'm surprised at how many other lines still have them. Incidentally, the tokens used on the two sections of the Harrogate to York line are different styles - presumably to prevent risk of any confusion taking place.

Llanigraham

On Moderation

Correct.
Had this on my last trip over the Heart Of Wales line. The unit started to fail after Llanwrtyd, and completely stopped just short of Cynghordy station, but with a little luck was able to crawl/roll into the station. Long discussions with the signallers and they decided that the next Up from Llanelli would act as the rescue unit and push us back towards Shrewsbury. Det's were placed either side "just in case".
Luckily they were able to arrange a mini bus to us onwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.