• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Remaining single lines with traditional token working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Heart of Wales, and Pembroke and Tenby branch are no signalman key token.

The most unusual I have been on was Heysham branch, where (1990s but is it still so?) - there was an actual wooden staff for the line - only used by the ship connection and nuclear flasks. Primitive but never been a signal failure, woodworm may be more of an issue!
The signalman at Craven Arms certainly hands a token to the driver for the section to Knighton.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
Must say I'm surprised at how many other lines still have them. Incidentally, the tokens used on the two sections of the Harrogate to York line are different styles - presumably to prevent risk of any confusion taking place.

Tokens for adjacent sections are always of different configurations to avoid the risk of one being put in the wrong instrument and so releasing a second token for an occupied section. Although the two Harrogate line sections are not adjacent, they are only a mile and a half apart, so not much time to realise if a token has been carried on. However, the chance of such a mistake causing an accident is infinitesimal as it would involve a series of major errors one after the other. More likely, it was just dependent on what the S&T had in store.

Key tokens have a lumpy bit at the end and there is a notch in this: there are different positions for the notch and this gives the different configurations. The notch on an A configuration key is in different place to the notch on a B and so an A won’t go into a B instrument. Tablets can have various differences, including notches of different shapes on the edge and central holes of different shapes. Electric staffs have raised rings in different pattern.

alistairlees

Established Member
It's a shame (in a way) that the tokens are going between Harrogate and York. I used to travel that way frequently and it was always interesting to watch. Especially as it presented such a huge contrast with a journey to York from London or elsewhere.

Although quite a few other lines still have them, Leeds to York via Harrogate is unusual in having them as not only is it a through route, but it is between two of the largest stations in the UK, and it's a fairly frequent service (pre-COVID: hourly with peak extras on the York to Knaresborough bit).

craigybagel

Established Member
Heart of Wales, and Pembroke and Tenby branch are no signalman key token.

The signalman at Craven Arms certainly hands a token to the driver for the section to Knighton.
Heart of Wales is NSTR, controlled by Pantyfyynon. The token machines are in huts at the crossing loops and are operated by the drivers after obtaining permission from Pantyfyynon over the phone. The exception to this is Craven Arms - although a token hut was built here as well (and was still in existence until vandals destroyed it a few weeks ago) the token machine is located inside the signal box and operated by the signaller there.

Gloster

Established Member
I suspect, although I don’t know definitely, that this is an odd situation with the Craven Arms-Knighton section being NSTR supervised by Pantyffynnon at the south end. Therefore the signalman at Craven Arms is only acting as an agent, in the same way that the traincrew do at intermediate locations.

Jozhua

Established Member
So with the Matlock line, I can with reasonable confidence confirm it uses token signalling from Ambergate. I've seen the driver stop and drop the token back in the box before calling on the phone, presumably to the signaller for permission to proceed?

It's pretty traditional, but it does the job safely and reliably, which is all you can ask! I'm unsure what happens when trains run through for example, to peak rail. I know some rail tour steamers have done that a couple of times since the link opened.

Gloster

Established Member
So with the Matlock line, I can with reasonable confidence confirm it uses token signalling from Ambergate. I've seen the driver stop and drop the token back in the box before calling on the phone, presumably to the signaller for permission to proceed?

At least a few years ago it was NSKT, which would allow trains to go on and off the steam railway. The stop at Ambergate would be both to confirm that the token had been returned to the machine - it is important that the supervising signalman definitely knows where the tokens are - and to advise the signalman that the train is ready to depart. (Most signalmen have had the frustration of of pulling off, only to stand there waiting for the fellah to move while everything else blocks up.)

Taunton

Established Member
Incidentally, the tokens used on the two sections of the Harrogate to York line are different styles - presumably to prevent risk of any confusion taking place.
Correct. The old Western Region used different shapes of the key at the end and also painted them different colours. Only the right shape went into the relevant token machine, and even if you somehow managed to force one in the different colour would be readily apparent. I haven't seen one for years so don't know current practice.

I haven't looked closely at the West Somerset procedures for a long time either, but when I last did it was staff and ticket, which is a different approach. Surprised myself, for I remember the last of the BR service, that was tokens - yellow for Silk Mill to Williton, red on to Blue Anchor, blue for the last stretch to Minehead.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The 'Ratty' (Ravenglass and Eskdale) line and the Bure Valley Railway both use radio dispatch systems, I recall.
Kirklees Light Railway (Shelley to Clayton West) is also a radio dispatch system. Presumably this is the easiest and cheapest method for these "little railways".

tom1649

At least a few years ago it was NSKT, which would allow trains to go on and off the steam railway. The stop at Ambergate would be both to confirm that the token had been returned to the machine - it is important that the supervising signalman definitely knows where the tokens are - and to advise the signalman that the train is ready to depart. (Most signalmen have had the frustration of of pulling off, only to stand there waiting for the fellah to move while everything else blocks up.)

It's still NSKT. Interestingly, during leaf fall season the RHTT moves forward onto the connection with Peak Rail beyond Matlock station while the last passenger train turns round in the platform. I've seen Network Rail vans heading up and down the A6 at around 23.00 hours so I guess this is somehow related.

rower40

Aylesbury to Calvert/Claydon is token working. The token machine at the southern end used to be in Aylesbury station, but when the new Aylesbury Vale Parkway station was built, the token machine(s) were moved to the Aylesbury North loop. There's a machine at the north end of the loop for drivers to collect the token, then a machine at the south end to return the token to - and each week, the local S&T staff personnel exchange the full cassette of tokens from one machine with an empty cassette from the other.

Bodmin & Wenford: Annetts keys used as tokens; red for the Bodmin General to Bodmin Parkway line; blue for Bodmin General to Boscarne Junction. Different key configuration, so the keys can't fit in each other's machines. The keys are then used to release the ground frames at the remote terminii for the loco run-rounds. Also, the red key unlocks the Walker Lines ground frame on the Parkway line. The paint is rubbing off the keys due to how much they've been used since the signalling was made operational in 2011, so it's probably just as well that the line names are etched deeply into the key body.

Ayrshire Roy

Theres also a key token section from Newton Junction (near Ayr) to Mauchline - train crew operate the instrument at Newton Junction themselves.
I don't know if the set up at Newton Junction is unique or not where the full train enters the branch and then gets stopped at a signal for the token about a quarter mile after the junction.
They do this to avoid blocking the main Ayr-Glasgow line as most trains would cross over from Falkland Yard.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Best was a (possibly knowledgeable) father, with small child, in the front seats. The traditional wooden staff was handed over. "What's that, dad?". "Oh, that's for our driver, to make sure there's only one train on the line. If we meet another train our driver can stop, go over to the other driver, and hit him over the head with it ...".
Thanks for the splutter-coffee-onto-keyboard moment!
What happens at St Budeaux on the line to Gunnislake? Only been on that line once and can't picture the procedure.
As far as I remember there is only one staff/token that lives in a box on the platform at St Budeaux. This unlocks the ground frame at Bere Alston so the point can be reversed to continue to Gunnislake. I've a feeling they may leave the token in the frame until they return, to avoid having to normalize the point and then stop again on the way back to reverse it again.

As mentioned above, although the Looe branch has a reversal the arrangements are very different, to allow a train to go to Moorswater while there is a passenger train on the Looe section. If I remember rightly there is a token system for Liskeard to Coombe and a one-train staff for Coombe to Looe. Both need to be in the frame at Coombe to allow the point to be reversed towards Looe, and after the train passes over the guard normalizes the frame (and therefore also the point) and leaves the Liskeard-Coombe token in the machine. The reverse procedure applies in the other direction, meaning that a train making a passenger stop at Coombe has to stop and re-start three times ("non-stop" trains reverse at the junction). When I was watching the guard didn't re-join the train between the two stops, so technically I guess this is the shortest DOO(P) section! Beyond the station there's another machine allowing a Moorswater freight to shut in.

Tomnick

Established Member
The stop at Ambergate would be both to confirm that the token had been returned to the machine - it is important that the supervising signalman definitely knows where the tokens are - and to advise the signalman that the train is ready to depart.
The locking prevents the signal off the branch clearing until the token is restored - the reason for the phone call is that the signal isn't visible from the platform, and it's a long walk back from the signal!

MadMac

The locking prevents the signal off the branch clearing until the token is restored - the reason for the phone call is that the signal isn't visible from the platform, and it's a long walk back from the signal!
I think this is broadly similar to how the Windermere branch works at Oxenholme.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
When heritage railways are operating on a "one train in steam" basis, are tokens for single line sections of track still actually issued, or does this only need to happen when there's more than the one train operating?

Llanigraham

On Moderation
When heritage railways are operating on a "one train in steam" basis, are tokens for single line sections of track still actually issued, or does this only need to happen when there's more than the one train operating?

That is what the Corris does, which does seem to be a bit of a waste of time to me.

Tomnick

Established Member
Possession of a token (or the staff) is crucial to the integrity of the single line. How can the driver be certain that there's only one train operating? Many single line railways have provision for some sort of long section working though, e.g. allowing box 'B' to switch out and, with no tokens out for either A-B or B-C, work the combined section as one, which might be on a 'one train working' basis. I know one where you could then also switch out the box at A (the terminus - there was no signal box at C, the other terminus) and run the railway with no signalmen, just one train in possession of the long section staff all day.

How is the Settle Junction to Carnforth section operated?
Absolute Block - it's not a single line.

craigybagel

Established Member
Is there an instrument on the platform at Craven Arms, or is the only instrument the one in the signal box?
Just the box. There was a token hut identical to all the others on the branch built on the Up platform (which until the junction was moved s few years ago was used in both directions by HOWL services), but to the best of my knowledge it never had a token machine installed - and as I posted above the hut itself was destroyed only a few weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.