• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Remaining single lines with traditional token working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

headshot119

Established Member
The machine on the platform would be an auxiliary one, as the signal box is a fair distance from the platform.

It's not an auxiliary instrument on the platform at Whitehaven, there is no token machine in Bransty Signalbox.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
What was the procedure for issuing the token/staff on a single line section of line when the next scheduled working was another train due to proceed in the same direction?

Tomnick

Established Member
What was the procedure for issuing the token/staff on a single line section of line when the next scheduled working was another train due to proceed in the same direction?
Nothing unusual - once the first token is restored into the instrument at the far end of the section, a second token may be withdrawn from the instrument at either end.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Nothing unusual - once the first token is restored into the instrument at the far end of the section, a second token may be withdrawn from the instrument at either end.
Indeed, not unusual, but presumably a sequence of one way train movements might have resulted in an accumulation of tokens at the far end of the section.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Indeed, not unusual, but presumably a sequence of one way train movements might have resulted in an accumulation of tokens at the far end of the section.
Normally there would be enough tokens in the system to account for temporary imbalances. But there could be a situation like when I visited Princes Risborough signal box many years ago, and the signaller mentioned the single line to Aylesbury had one more working each day in one direction than the other.

This is no different from, but less severe than the situation described above where there are token machines on opposite platforms so one only collects tokens and the other only distributes them. Periodically a technician would transfer a batch of the tokens from one machine to the other, obviously under some sort of possession to prevent any trains running while this was happening.

For lines worked with a single staff rather than token machines, there was at one time a system called "staff and ticket". If a train was to be followed by another in the same direction the signaller would obtain a special form from a box unlocked with a key on the staff, and fill this in with the details of the train in question. The driver would be given this "ticket" and shown the staff as authority to proceed, and the last train in that direction would carry the staff as normal. This was obviously more cumbersome as the signaller needed to fill in the ticket and could cause problems with the staff being at the wrong end if the sequence of trains changed unexpectedly. I think it was superseded on the national network some time ago, with staff working limited to dead-end lines where it's not physically possible to operate more than one train. I've an idea though that some preserved lines use it.

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
Castle Cary-Yeovil Pen Mill also had an imbalance as, in addition to the passenger service, there were two Down freights. A Salisbury-Meldon ballast empties was supposed to run Monday to Friday and the Westbury-Exeter Central cement three times a week, but if they were late they would miss their path between Yeovil Junction and Pinhoe and so would run via Taunton instead. The slow build up of tokens at Pen Mill required the transfer of a number up to Cary every fortnight or so. I don’t remember there being any form of possession, nor do I think there was any problems with trains continuing to run while the tokens were transferred. The only detail that was clear was that the number transferred had to be an even one.

bramling

Veteran Member
Castle Cary-Yeovil Pen Mill also had an imbalance as, in addition to the passenger service, there were two Down freights. A Salisbury-Meldon ballast empties was supposed to run Monday to Friday and the Westbury-Exeter Central cement three times a week, but if they were late they would miss their path between Yeovil Junction and Pinhoe and so would run via Taunton instead. The slow build up of tokens at Pen Mill required the transfer of a number up to Cary every fortnight or so. I don’t remember there being any form of possession, nor do I think there was any problems with trains continuing to run while the tokens were transferred. The only detail that was clear was that the number transferred had to be an even one.

It must happen to this day on the YPM to Maiden Newton section, and for that matter on many of the NST(R) lines. With machines being placed on both platforms this must cause an imbalance, though presumably there’s nothing stopping a driver using the instrument on the opposite platform if he finds the machine empty?

MarkyT

Established Member
This is no different from, but less severe than the situation described above where there are token machines on opposite platforms so one only collects tokens and the other only distributes them. Periodically a technician would transfer a batch of the tokens from one machine to the other, obviously under some sort of possession to prevent any trains running while this was happening.
Not necessary to avoid trains being in section during the transfer, as long as the technician always removes, transfers and replaces even batches of tokens, so the instruments remain in the same relative phase with each other.

Veteran Member
For lines worked with a single staff rather than token machines, there was at one time a system called "staff and ticket". If a train was to be followed by another in the same direction the signaller would obtain a special form from a box unlocked with a key on the staff, and fill this in with the details of the train in question. The driver would be given this "ticket" and shown the staff as authority to proceed, and the last train in that direction would carry the staff as normal. This was obviously more cumbersome as the signaller needed to fill in the ticket and could cause problems with the staff being at the wrong end if the sequence of trains changed unexpectedly. I think it was superseded on the national network some time ago, with staff working limited to dead-end lines where it's not physically possible to operate more than one train. I've an idea though that some preserved lines use it.
A quick Google suggests that the South Devon and Welsh Highland both use ST working. I don't know when it disappeared on BR, but I am fairly sure I have a 50s SR Working Timetable which shows a section (goods only?) still worked that way.

Gloster

Established Member
A quick Google suggests that the South Devon and Welsh Highland both use ST working. I don't know when it disappeared on BR, but I am fairly sure I have a 50s SR Working Timetable which shows a section (goods only?) still worked that way.
The Signalling Atlas and Signal Box Directory (Third Edition) by Peter Kay from 2010 lists the Cwmbargoed branch as still being worked by Staff & Ticket.

LowLevel

Established Member
At least a few years ago it was NSKT, which would allow trains to go on and off the steam railway. The stop at Ambergate would be both to confirm that the token had been returned to the machine - it is important that the supervising signalman definitely knows where the tokens are - and to advise the signalman that the train is ready to depart. (Most signalmen have had the frustration of of pulling off, only to stand there waiting for the fellah to move while everything else blocks up.)

The phone call at Ambergate was brought in a few years back following several delays relating to the driver putting the token back, the ancient machine contacts failing to pick it up (the machine was finally replaced with a refurbished one this year) and thus the signal off the branch not being able to be cleared, nor the signal on to the branch platform then the main branch for the next train even if you were to call the driver by.

Thus much mucking about is avoided by a quick call to check the machine has correctly functioned.

The only sectional appendix instruction phone call for the Matlock branch is, if I recall correctly, that the guard of trains waiting to depart Matlock should call the box for permission to depart because of the user worked crossings on the route. It is an instruction I've never seen carried out and I suspect the signaller at Derby would be most confused to actually receive said phone call!

headshot119

Established Member
The Signalling Atlas and Signal Box Directory (Third Edition) by Peter Kay from 2010 lists the Cwmbargoed branch as still being worked by Staff & Ticket.

Alas, no longer, it was converted to Tokenless when Ystrad Mynach was resignalled into South Wales Signaling Center.

bramling

Veteran Member
The only sectional appendix instruction phone call for the Matlock branch is, if I recall correctly, that the guard of trains waiting to depart Matlock should call the box for permission to depart because of the user worked crossings on the route. It is an instruction I've never seen carried out and I suspect the signaller at Derby would be most confused to actually receive said phone call!

Presumably this implies there's what might be called an unofficial local arrangement in place?

Tomnick

Established Member
It's a curious one and I can only imagine that it's intended for the purpose of regulating at Ambergate. Wherever I've seen instructions relating to user worked crossings (the Barnstaple line is one example, if I'm not mistaken), it's been a definite 'if the phone's broken, approach all user worked crossings with caution' rather than a vague 'if the phone's broken, don't worry about it' - I'd certainly expect the latter if there was the possibility that he'd have a sewage tanker across at Whatstandwell in the absence of a phone call!

furryfeet

Sorry if this is a daft question, but I’m not railway staff. I understand what you’re saying at face value, but presumably this is applicable only in “normal” circumstances? What happens for example if the train in the single line section fails? Is there some sort of “management override” that would allow a second train in to recover
Sorry if this is a daft question, but I’m not railway staff. I understand what you’re saying at face value, but presumably this is applicable only in “normal” circumstances? What happens for example if the train in the single line section fails? Is there some sort of “management override” that would allow a second train in to recover the failure?

Yes in such circumstances, emergency working regulations will apply. These are stated in the rule book. Also the sectional appendix for that particular piece of railway may have extra rules due to local factors.

LowLevel

Established Member
It's a curious one and I can only imagine that it's intended for the purpose of regulating at Ambergate. Wherever I've seen instructions relating to user worked crossings (the Barnstaple line is one example, if I'm not mistaken), it's been a definite 'if the phone's broken, approach all user worked crossings with caution' rather than a vague 'if the phone's broken, don't worry about it' - I'd certainly expect the latter if there was the possibility that he'd have a sewage tanker across at Whatstandwell in the absence of a phone call!

Not sure - I'm trying to remember who it was that mentioned user worked crossings in connection with it but it was a very long time ago! I've always wondered if it dates back to pre cab radio era or at least junky NRN era whereby if something happened/no call back after use occurred if he had authorised the crossing to be used when the train was at Matlock it gives an opportunity to advise that there is a problem before departure before coming across an errant sewage tanker stuck on the line. The wording is permission to depart rather than advise of departure(I think, not got it to hand!).

Presumably this implies there's what might be called an unofficial local arrangement in place?

What actually happens, which is really for statistical and delay attribution purposes, is the guard calls Network Rail Delays at York to report actual arrival and departure times. Otherwise trains never show as arriving or departing Matlock which buggers up all sorts of things I imagine, the next auto report being Ambergate Junction I think.

MarkyT

Established Member
There is no staff and ticket on the South Devon Railway today. Between the early 1990s and 2015, SDR block arrangements were as follows: Electric key token between Buckfastleigh and Bishops Bridge (Staverton). One train staff between Bishops Bridge and Totnes. With the short staff and a special token with an annetts key welded to the other end inserted into their respective keylock instruments at Bishops Bridge, the passing loop box could be switched out and signals cleared in both directions, releasing a long section staff from another keylock instrument that applied to the whole line outside station limits at Buckfastleigh. There was a special procedure to augment the staff section (long or short) with written tickets for gala days when Totnes would become a temporary block post with a special stop board temporarily erected as a platform starter, primarily so a layover engine could be accommodated in the run-round loop between trains. In 2015 the long and short staff sections were removed and a new permanent signal box opened at Totnes, called Ashburton Junction (the building and frame had existed for a number of years previously, functioning as a covered run-round ground frame, normally operated by train crew). New electric key token sections were commissioned for the short section to Bishops Bridge and long section to Buckfastleigh, with the switching-out arrangements modified accordingly at Bishops Bridge. The following is a simple schematic of current block arrangements.
sdrblock.jpg

The Welsh Highland Railway has been transitioning from a traditional staff and ticket method to miniature electric train staff, innovatively implemented over IP-based digital communication links without continuous lineside cabling. I don't know the completion state of this project.

The Sectional Appendix local instruction for Barnstaple states the following:
GW606 - COWLEY BRIDGE JN TO BARNSTAPLE

BARNSTAPLE
The driver must contact the signaller on arrival and advise the actual arrival time and expected departure time of the train. If departure is delayed, the signaller must be advised of the actual departure time. In the event of a GSM-R system failure, the signaller should be contacted from an alternative telephone or advised at the first suitable opportunity.

If it is not possible to communicate with the signaller before departure, the driver must be prepared to approach at caution user worked crossings where telephones are provided on the return journey to Eggesford and ensure they are clear before proceeding.

Last edited:

MadMac

There used to be (not sure if any still exist) a “magazine” device that attached to the token instrument into which excess tokens could be moved. The whole device then detached from the instrument and was transported by train to the other end of the section to re-balance the numbers.

(Edit) The very device! https://tillyweb.biz/gallery/gg/glaisdale.htm

Gloster

Established Member
There used to be (not sure if any still exist) a “magazine” device that attached to the token instrument into which excess tokens could be moved. The whole device then detached from the instrument and was transported by train to the other end of the section to re-balance the numbers.

But it wasn’t always used, see #139 on the ‘Preliminary work on the Okehampton line...’ thread for a somewhat simpler method.

MarkyT

Established Member
But it wasn’t always used, see #139 on the ‘Preliminary work on the Okehampton line...’ thread for a somewhat simpler method.
The 'balancer' device was an expensive add-on no doubt, usually only employed where an imbalance occurred routinely and developed very quickly, such as at a NSTR passing loop like Eggesford where withdrawals and insertions almost exclusively occur at different instruments. Plausibly, a balancer can be used by a suitably trained operating staff member with no technical knowledge, whereas the manual lock-pick method can clearly only ever be performed by a qualified S&T technician.

david_g

The Welshpool & Llanfair uses staff & ticket although the use of paper tickets was superseded by a physical ticket for each section. There is one ticket for each section (Llanfair-Cyfronydd, Cyfronydd-Castle, Castle-Welshpool)* and of course one staff. The staffs & tickets are lumps of metal about four inches long of different cross sections (hexagonal for staffs, square for tickets) and different colours for each block section plus they are stamped with the section to which they refer. The whole lot screw to a traditional loop for exchange with signalmen or blockmen.

In the very rare circumstances when three trains have to follow in the same direction through a section a road move for the staff is authorised by the controller.

The golden rule with staff & ticket is that you never proceed on the ticket alone, you must see the staff when accepting the ticket.

*There is a project to reinstate the passing loop at Sylfaen which was due to be completed over the winter which has been delayed by coronavirus; this would split the Castle - Welshpool section into two separate sections Castle-Sylfaen and Sylfaen-Welshpool.

Llanigraham

Established Member

Or collected by a MOM whilst on their rounds, or even in an emergency, as I think happened once a while ago in the Heart of Wales.

Tomnick

Established Member
Not sure - I'm trying to remember who it was that mentioned user worked crossings in connection with it but it was a very long time ago! I've always wondered if it dates back to pre cab radio era or at least junky NRN era whereby if something happened/no call back after use occurred if he had authorised the crossing to be used when the train was at Matlock it gives an opportunity to advise that there is a problem before departure before coming across an errant sewage tanker stuck on the line. The wording is permission to depart rather than advise of departure(I think, not got it to hand!).

What actually happens, which is really for statistical and delay attribution purposes, is the guard calls Network Rail Delays at York to report actual arrival and departure times. Otherwise trains never show as arriving or departing Matlock which buggers up all sorts of things I imagine, the next auto report being Ambergate Junction I think.

The Sectional Appendix local instruction for Barnstaple states the following:
For completeness, the Sectional Appendix local instruction for the Matlock branch:

LN3246 - AMBERGATE JN TO MATLOCK
Entire Line Of Route
Method of Working. If it is not necessary for a Diesel Multiple Unit train to be shunted clear of the Single line at Matlock, the Driver must return from Matlock without passing the token through the instrument at Matlock. Guards of passenger trains starting from Matlock must advise the Signaller at the EMCC Derby Workstation by telephone when the train is ready to depart. Guards must also telephone the Train Delay Attributor on 085 35033 to report information relative to arrival and departure times. If, however, the telephone has failed, the train must not be detained in order to carry out this instruction but the Signaller at the EMCC Derby Workstation must be advised of the circumstances at the first opportunity.
I do recall someone (from the other side) telling me how much of a problem Whatstandwell UWC was/is, because they couldn't authorise anyone to use it whilst there was a train anywhere on the single line, even if the train had just passed the crossing on its way to Matlock.

Veteran Member
There is no staff and ticket on the South Devon Railway today. Between the early 1990s and 2015, SDR block arrangements were as follows: Electric key token between Buckfastleigh and Bishops Bridge (Staverton). One train staff between Bishops Bridge and Totnes. With the short staff and a special token with an annetts key welded to the other end inserted into their respective keylock instruments at Bishops Bridge, the passing loop box could be switched out and signals cleared in both directions, releasing a long section staff from another keylock instrument that applied to the whole line outside station limits at Buckfastleigh. There was a special procedure to augment the staff section (long or short) with written tickets for gala days when Totnes would become a temporary block post with a special stop board temporarily erected as a platform starter, primarily so a layover engine could be accommodated in the run-round loop between trains. ...

The Welsh Highland Railway has been transitioning from a traditional staff and ticket method to miniature electric train staff, innovatively implemented over IP-based digital communication links without continuous lineside cabling. I don't know the completion state of this project.
The Welshpool & Llanfair uses staff & ticket although the use of paper tickets was superseded by a physical ticket for each section. There is one ticket for each section (Llanfair-Cyfronydd, Cyfronydd-Castle, Castle-Welshpool)* and of course one staff. The staffs & tickets are lumps of metal about four inches long of different cross sections (hexagonal for staffs, square for tickets) and different colours for each block section plus they are stamped with the section to which they refer. The whole lot screw to a traditional loop for exchange with signalmen or blockmen.
Thanks to both for the fascinating updates.

Memo to self: check dates on Googled information!

83G/84D

Established Member
St Erth to St Ives:- Staff section with train retaining staff when on branch. No instrument in signal box or signals that require staff to release them.
Staff lives in signalbox when no trains running.

Falmouth branch:- Prior to Penryn passing loop installation in 2009 was single line with annetts key released by signalman and collected from hut on platform by driver. Signal onto branch cleared after key withdrawn. Key did not have to be put in any instrument at Falmouth before returning to Truro.Annetts key also required to operate points into sidings at Falmouth if required. Initially after Penryn changes annetts key moved to locked cabinet on station for Falmouth sidings but rarely used and sidings since recovered.

Parkandillack branch:- Initially C2 working but changed to staff which when not in use retained in locked box at Burngullow.

Newquay branch: Electric token St Blazey to Goonbarrow. This also released the intermediate ground frame at Pontsmill until that was abolished. Was Electric token Goonbarrow to St Dennis Jn and St Dennis Jn to Newquay. When St Dennis Jn closed in 1986 electric token section became Goonbarrow to Newquay. When Newquay closed token machine at Goonbarrow retained with one token used as a staff and releases signal onto single line towards Newquay.

Hoops used for freight trains only between St Blazey & Goonbarrow. Drivers on the unit's said they took up too much room in the cabs especially the smaller cab on the 153's when they were around.

Fowey branch:- One train staff retained either at Lostwithiel signal box or in secure location at Fowey docks.

Hope that is of interest.

Last edited:

Merle Haggard

Established Member
I don't think this has been mentioned already.

Specials are run every year to the Royal Welsh Show (Builth, I think) and possibly, though I'm far from sure, from the Cardiff direction they go Swansea Avoiding Line then Morlais Jct-Hendy Jct to reach the Shrewsbury line. That connection is single line, but of course not necessarily staff or token.

Toots

The Omskirk branch has ETB from Midge Hall as far as Rufford and then one train working without a staff to Ormskirk.

Gloster

Established Member

Specials are run every year to the Royal Welsh Show (Builth, I think) and possibly, though I'm far from sure, from the Cardiff direction they go Swansea Avoiding Line then Morlais Jct-Hendy Jct to reach the Shrewsbury line. That connection is single line, but of course not necessarily staff or token.
It is Track Circuit Block as far as Pantyffynnon, where the Token Working starts.

MarkyT

Established Member

Hendy Jn, on Port Talbot SB, to Pantyffynon is TCB. The NSTR token working starts north of Pantyffynon and the signaller there supervises the line and all its passing loops as far as Craven Arms. The show is at Builth Wells, served by Builth Road station, a single platform partway through the Llanwrtyd - Llandrindod token section. At Llandrindod passing loop there is also a long refuge siding which I assume might be used for layover by show specials.

In the very rare circumstances when three trains have to follow in the same direction through a section a road move for the staff is authorised by the controller.

The golden rule with staff & ticket is that you never proceed on the ticket alone, you must see the staff when accepting the ticket.

*There is a project to reinstate the passing loop at Sylfaen which was due to be completed over the winter which has been delayed by coronavirus; this would split the Castle - Welshpool section into two separate sections Castle-Sylfaen and Sylfaen-Welshpool.
Micro-ETS on the WHR
The original Welsh Highland Railway used the staff and ticket system. The modern railway currently also uses staff and ticket, however the FR Co. were anxious to obtain enough ETS instruments to equip the WHR. After a long search, sufficient ETS equipment to operate the entire railway was obtained in 2008 from the Irish national railway company Iarnród Éireann. The equipment became redundant after Iarnród Éireann recently modernised its signalling systems. Like that on the FR, the equipment obtained for the WHR is of the Railway Signal Co. miniature type.

As the WHR has no telephone cabling to connect the system, the FR Co. is developing a more modern alternative method of connecting the ETS machines. Until the system is finished, the WHR will continue using its current token systems. This new system obviates the need for telegraph lines by connecting the machines through the internet. This has led to the term "micro-ETS" being coined. By 2019, £225,000 had been donated by Ffestiniog Travel towards the costs of this project, with phase one of the project (Porthmadog to Rhyd Ddu) due to start the same year. Token machines will be installed at Porthmadog Harbour, Pont Croesor, Beddgelert and Rhyd Ddu. Intermediate machines at Pen y Mount and Hafod y Lynn are not planned at this time...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.