• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Removal of face mask/social distancing signage on the rail network

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanNCL

Established Member
Ahead of the latest easement of COVID restrictions, I’ve noticed that some of the face mask and social distancing signage has at long last started to be removed. So far today, I’ve been on an XC voyager that hasn’t had any signage about social distancing or face coverings at all, and I’ve also noticed there’s much less of it at Darlington station than previously, although it hasn’t been completely removed there.

Does anyone know of any other places where social distancing and face mask signage has started to be removed?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greyman42

Established Member
Well i hope the signage is removed quicker than it was regarding "essential travel only" and the "key worker" messages.

Bishopstone

Established Member
My local Southern station has a new poster:

’In crowded spaces, please wear a face covering out of respect for others.

Please be considerate of other passengers and our colleagues.’

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
My local Southern station has a new poster:

’In crowded spaces, please wear a face covering out of respect for others.

Please be considerate of other passengers and our colleagues.’
That seems reasonable. On un-crowded stations I fail to see the point of masks if more than 2 metres from others, but have to wear them anyway. If it's crowded then mask use might be useful. I know many say they will wear masks after restrictions ease, but I doubt many will, looking at Wembley for example.

Bishopstone

Established Member
That seems reasonable. On un-crowded stations I fail to see the point of masks if more than 2 metres from others, but have to wear them anyway. If it's crowded then mask use might be useful.

I thought it struck a reasonable balance as well.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
All TOCs will be following the agreed RDG line, which will involve removing posters that say that face coverings are compulsory and that "fines" may be issued for non-compliance.

Well, all TOCs except those under the control of a certain politician.

nedchester

Established Member
Why are folk on the forum getting up in a lather about this.

If you don’t want to wear a mask then don’t. If you do then wear one.

Respect each other’s positions.

THE END

bramling

Veteran Member
Exactly the sort of messaging needed.

It really absolutely isn’t. The moment vague and undefined concepts like “respect” come in, is when problems happen, which staff will then be stuck in the middle of.

The idea of “please wear a mask if the train is crowded” I don’t have a problem with - in fact that’s what I’ve thought would have been appropriate all along (even if I have my doubts as to the effectiveness of masks). However that’s where the messaging should stop.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

THE END
The RDG message fails to make clear that you are allowed to choose.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm not sure who or what you are referring to.

But...

The message should be along those lines, but sadly some train companies are towing a slightly different line in terms of what they say, despite the reality simply being that people can choose for themselves.

Silver Cobra

From my observations when travelling to and from work this morning, all the social distancing/face covering signs have been removed at Arlesey, but most are still in place at Biggleswade. It'll be interesting to see if the signs are still in place at Biggleswade tomorrow.

P Binnersley

West Midlands Railway are changing to Face-Hands-Space posters with a "please follow government guidelines" tag line.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
It really absolutely isn’t. The moment vague and undefined concepts like “respect” come in, is when problems happen, which staff will then be stuck in the middle of.

The idea of “please wear a mask if the train is crowded” I don’t have a problem with - in fact that’s what I’ve thought would have been appropriate all along (even if I have my doubts as to the effectiveness of masks). However that’s where the messaging should stop.

How crowded a train has to be to be "crowded" is equally vague...

Some people's definition of "crowded" is not being able to keep your bag on the seat next to you, whilst others see it as you-can-just-about-squeeze-in-the-vestibule.

I think it is easier to ask people to be "respectful" (which covers many other things, like keeping distance where practical) than for every person to have their own definition of what "crowded" looks like, and somehow expect staff to arbitrate when and train is and is not "crowded".

island

Veteran Member
Booking onto an Avanti service (albeit on the GWR website) this afternoon I noted the messaging "If you are transferring onto bus, tube or other TfL services as part of your journey, you must wear a face covering unless exempt" – making it clear that the Avanti service is mask-optional. This has induced me to buy a ticket for travel, and I would not be travelling without it, so I think I can say it is a statement made on behalf of Avanti and therefore a term of my contract (pursuant to section 50 of the Consumer Rights Act) that I need not wear a mask on the Avanti service.

I might well do the cross-London bit on Thameslink :D

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-07-18 at 18.47.07.png
    Screenshot 2021-07-18 at 18.47.07.png
    157.4 KB · Views: 26

bramling

Veteran Member
How crowded a train has to be to be "crowded" is equally vague...

Some people's definition of "crowded" is not being able to keep your bag on the seat next to you, whilst others see it as you-can-just-about-squeeze-in-the-vestibule.

I think it is easier to ask people to be "respectful" (which covers many other things, like keeping distance where practical) than for every person to have their own definition of what "crowded" looks like, and somehow expect staff to arbitrate when and train is and is not "crowded".

You could easily clarify “crowded” with a figure like 2 metres.

The problem with “be respectful” is that person 1 might consider respect to be everyone on the entire train wearing a mask to show solidarity to the NHS, person 2 might think everyone in the carriage should wear a mask, person 3 might think it should be half a carriage, person 4 might think only if someone is in a nearby bay of seats, person 5 if someone is sitting next door, and so on. By using a term like “respect” it weaponises the issue, which is then likely to lead to conflicts.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
E
Exactly the sort of messaging needed.
Exactly the sort of messaging not required in my opinion.

If people want to wear a mask let them wear one and if people don’t then that’s fine.

That’s what’s called respect for each other.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
You could easily clarify “crowded” with a figure like 2 metres.

2 metres from where to where? If you applying that religiously, then it would be masks on pretty much any train with more than a handful of passengers on.

E

Exactly the sort of messaging not required in my opinion.

If people want to wear a mask let them wear one and if people don’t then that’s fine.

That’s what’s called respect for each other.

It's applying some logic to where and when a mask should be worn - in crowded environments. So, reasonable. Not "please wear a mask everywhere for the sake of it".

bramling

Veteran Member
2 metres from where to where? If you applying that religiously, then it would be masks on pretty much any train with more than a handful of passengers on.

It's applying some logic to where and when a mask should be worn - in crowded environments. So, reasonable. Not "please wear a mask everywhere for the sake of it".

So how about “please wear a mask if you feel it is beneficial”?

Anything which puts the emphasis on the wearer is fine. The problem is when it’s made to be all about others. I’m very suspicious of Sadiq Khan’s motives.

VauxhallandI

Established Member

Anything which puts the emphasis on the wearer is fine. The problem is when it’s made to be all about others. I’m very suspicious of Sadiq Khan’s motives.
Exactly, it’s the equivalent of a **** stirrer

You know what bring it on, whoever wants to challenge me I’m ready. I’m one year ready.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
You know what bring it on, whoever wants to challenge me I’m ready. I’m one year ready.

Because that's not **** stirring at all, obviously... Glass houses and all that.

We're talking about the messaging used by Southern and you yet again bring up the Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, who has no jurisdiction over Southern. You have a very strange obsession with him.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Booking onto an Avanti service (albeit on the GWR website) this afternoon I noted the messaging "If you are transferring onto bus, tube or other TfL services as part of your journey, you must wear a face covering unless exempt" – making it clear that the Avanti service is mask-optional. This has induced me to buy a ticket for travel, and I would not be travelling without it, so I think I can say it is a statement made on behalf of Avanti and therefore a term of my contract (pursuant to section 50 of the Consumer Rights Act) that I need not wear a mask on the Avanti service.

I might well do the cross-London bit on Thameslink :D
Looks like any journey involving a cross-London Underground or DLR transfer, or travel on London Overground or (timetabled) London Underground services is showing that message on journey planners, as a form of "disruption" alert. But they've missed out TfL Rail.

Also, the message could be confusing to someone unfamiliar with the fact that London Overground falls under TfL, who might be wondering why they're being warned about face coverings on a journey from (say) Watford Junction to Bushey, both outside Greater London.

In short, exactly the kind of mess you might expect in the circumstances. Of course, not everyone will necessarily book through a journey planner that shows these alerts - many people will simply use the ticket machine...

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Because that's not **** stirring at all, obviously... Glass houses and all that.

We're talking about the messaging used by Southern and you yet again bring up the Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, who has no jurisdiction over Southern. You have a very strange obsession with him.
Honestly you can’t tell the difference??

One is a sign by a company to tens of thousands of people and mine is a statement on a wee forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.