• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Replace the national anthem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I find our current national anthem to be dire and I don't think it really does a good job of representing the British people. All it does is waste a minute waffling about a god (that a substantial number of people believe not to exist) and their connection to a monarchy (that a substantial number of people do not support the continued existence of). Even the United States - which has a prevalence of patriotism often ridiculed in this country - has a national anthem discussing pride in the nation and its values, not a specific person.

So in my opinion it's high time the anthem was replaced. Do you agree, and what would you replace it with?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I find our current national anthem to be dire and I don't think it really does a good job of representing the British people. All it does is waste a minute waffling about a god (that a substantial number of people believe not to exist) and their connection to a monarchy (that a substantial number of people do not support the continued existence of). Even the United States - which has a prevalence of patriotism often ridiculed in this country - has a national anthem discussing pride in the nation and its values, not a specific person.

So in my opinion it's high time the anthem was replaced. Do you agree, and what would you replace it with?
The US anthem “The Star Spangled banner” is specifically about the flag, not really the country. But that’s by the by. GSTQ is a bit of a dirge, Jerusalem is a much better song.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
The US anthem “The Star Spangled banner” is specifically about the flag, not really the country. But that’s by the by. GSTQ is a bit of a dirge, Jerusalem is a much better song.
Jerusalem was exactly what I was about to suggest myself :)

Many people already say that while God Save The Queen is the national anthem of the UK, Jerusalem is England's unofficial anthem.

TheEdge

Established Member
Though it is even more explicitly Christian. It's basically a hymn.

It is but I think used as a replacement for GSTQ it would be understood as more patriotic that overtly religious. Rule Britannia, Heart of Oak could be contenders. I'd go for Rule Britannia frankly.

duncanp

Established Member

I don't think that God Save the Queen does "waste a minute waffling about a God", and whilst a lot of vocal people believe the monarchy should be abolished, there are many more people who support its continued existence.

Regarding the US national anthem, I am not sure that many people would be happy with the lyrics "bombs bursting in air".

And have you translated the words of La Marseillaise into English, with its talk of foreigners slitting the throats of French children.

I think God Save the Queen is a fitting tribute to someone who has served this country well for nearly 70 years.

DelayRepay

Established Member
I don't have a problem with God Save the Queen (and I say that as someone who is not particularly religious or royalist), but I do wish England had its own national anthem, rather than using God Save the Queen at sporting events etc, like the other UK nations do.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
It is but I think used as a replacement for GSTQ it would be understood as more patriotic that overtly religious. Rule Britannia, Heart of Oak could be contenders. I'd go for Rule Britannia frankly.
A bit too naval… still a good tune.

Geezertronic

Established Member
GSTQ I guess is the British & Commonwealth National Anthem but England also use it. I'd be in favour of replacing GSTQ as the England National Anthem with something else as we don't seem to have a unique anthem like our friends in the North and West, but GSTQ (or GSTK) should remain as the GB National Anthem.

Last edited:

Domh245

Established Member
As long as we retain a monarch and remain the United Kingdom, then GSTQ(/K) will remain. If we ever become the Great British Republic or similar, then it'd make sense to change the anthem

duncanp

Established Member
I don't have a problem with God Save the Queen (and I say that as someone who is not particularly religious or royalist), but I do wish England had its own national anthem, rather than using God Save the Queen at sporting events etc, like the other UK nations do.

Jerusalem would be the perfect candidate for a specifically English anthem.

Whilst the first verse has religious connotations, referring to the somewhat fanciful legend that Jesus Christ visited England in his younger days, the second verse doesn't have this issue:-

I will not cease from mental fight
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand
'Til we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land

My take on this is that you will do whatever you can to make England a better place for people to live in, by challenging injustice and unfairness etc.

It is worth noting that The Star Spangled Banner did not become the official national anthem of the United States until 1931. Before that, one of the anthems used was My Country 'Tis Of Thee, which uses the same melody as God Save The Queen.

krus_aragon

Established Member
It is worth noting that The Star Spangled Banner did not become the official national anthem of the United States until 1931. Before that, one of the anthems used was My Country 'Tis Of Thee, which uses the same melody as God Save The Queen.
They're not alone in that: Sweden, Russia, Hawaii, Germany, Switzerland and Iceland have all used the same melody in the past. I think Lichtenstein still do!

Calthrop

Established Member
One might suggest, tongue-in-cheek, that GSTQ just as it is: serves its purpose excellently, for our country. Nicely "of a piece" with Britain's way of conducting its affairs in a subdued, un-showy, often seemingly muddled manner; but nonetheless, often accomplishing marvels. Let excitable lesser breeds indulge themselves with gaudily inspiring anthems: we are fine with our -- superficially -- dreary, plodding, banal, somewhat off-beam thing.

duncanp

Established Member
"I vow to thee my country", perhaps a medley of tunes by Sir Edward and Eric Coates.

The European anthem of course.

Some people think that I vow to thee my country is too nationalistic and warmongering, with its reference to final sacrifice in the first verse, which completely ignores "and her ways are ways of gentleness, and all her paths are peace" in the second verse.

I get the impression that some people would like us to abolish the national anthem altogether.

Senex

Established Member
One might suggest, tongue-in-cheek, that GSTQ just as it is: serves its purpose excellently, for our country. Nicely "of a piece" with Britain's way of conducting its affairs in a subdued, un-showy, often seemingly muddled manner; but nonetheless, often accomplishing marvels. Let excitable lesser breeds indulge themselves with gaudily inspiring anthems: we are fine with our -- superficially -- dreary, plodding, banal, somewhat off-beam thing.
But even if we accepted that argument for keeping the awful tune, that still leaves us with tghe even worse words that say nothing about our country, love for our country (the "amour sacré de la patrie" of the Marseillaise), or even aspirations for our country, but just drone on about a feudal overlord who's the apex of a social order that should have been set aside long ago but survives here to keep us all from moving into the modern world.

duncanp

Established Member
But even if we accepted that argument for keeping the awful tune, that still leaves us with tghe even worse words that say nothing about our country, love for our country (the "amour sacré de la patrie" of the Marseillaise), or even aspirations for our country, but just drone on about a feudal overlord who's the apex of a social order that should have been set aside long ago but survives here to keep us all from moving into the modern world.

I don't see The Queen as a "feudal overlord".

She is a constitutional monarch whose powers are regulated by law and custom, and always acts on the advice of her prime minister.

We saw this in 2019 when she was "advised" by Boris Johnson to prorogue parliament, a move which was later declared illegal by the supreme court. If the Queen had refused to do what Boris asked, she would put herself in a difficult position, and could be accused of not acting impartially.

Worth noting that Australia voted to keep The Queen as head of state in the 1999 referendum, and more recently New Zealand voted to keep the Union Jack on their flag when given a vote on the matter.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
The Queen is not stopping us from moving into the modern world, whatever that is. We already live in the modern world. Constitutional monarchies are part of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.