• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Replace the national anthem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
- Hey, (British person), what's your national anthem called?
- Jerusalem.
- Isn't that in Israel?

And that's the problem with Jerusalem. It's not the content, but the name.

Perhaps change the name to ‘Birmingham’ then everyone will be happy… ;)

WAB

- Jerusalem.
- Isn't that in Israel?

1. It would only be the English who would be fielding this question, as it would be the English National Anthem.
2. The Bangladeshi anthem is My Golden Bengal, despite Bengal covering an area in both India and Bangladesh.

najaB

Veteran Member
I don't like God Save The Queen but how is its use in England disrespectful to Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland?
Using the same anthem for England as you do for the whole UK implies that England = UK. God Save the Queen should really only be used when more than one home nation is involved.

Meerkat

Established Member
- Jerusalem.
- Isn't that in Israel?

How many times have you ever been asked that, and specifically how many times have you been asked what the English national anthem is (the true answer being “We don’t have one”)?
Jerusalem can’t be the UK anthem as it is about England.
HoW often is a national anthem even referred to by name, rather than as ‘the national anthem’?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
- Jerusalem.
- Isn't that in Israel?

This is why I suggested something completely new. Surely it's not beyond the wit of Human to come up with something that reflects the values of a modern United Kingdom without dredging up ideas of an empire, colonialism or putting down rebellious challenges from certain parts of your country. It should be a celebration of a multi-nation, multi-cultural state that looks forward - not something that celebrates the questionable practices of the past. Is that something you really want to be proud of?

Meerkat

Established Member
This is why I suggested something completely new. Surely it's not beyond the wit of Human to come up with something that reflects the values of a modern United Kingdom without dredging up ideas of an empire, colonialism or putting down rebellious challenges from certain parts of your country. It should be a celebration of a multi-nation, multi-cultural state that looks forward - not something that celebrates the questionable practices of the past. Is that something you really want to be proud of?
Good luck with that! You are just inviting a bitter culture war resulting in something most people hate!
And probably something that sounds appallingly dated after just a few years, with utterly cringeworthy lyrics.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Good luck with that! You are just inviting a bitter culture war resulting in something most people hate!
And probably something that sounds appallingly dated after just a few years, with utterly cringeworthy lyrics.
Rather like God Save the Queen, then :)

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Perhaps change the name to ‘Birmingham’ then everyone will be happy… ;)
Manchester - it's performed by a drugged up Happy Mondays whilst they go full Texan with a Glock :p
2. The Bangladeshi anthem is My Golden Bengal, despite Bengal covering an area in both India and Bangladesh.
It's still part of Bangladesh then.
Using the same anthem for England as you do for the whole UK implies that England = UK.
Well that's why I think there should be a separate anthem for Britain.
God Save the Queen should really only be used when more than one home nation is involved.
And you've lost me. I think the complete opposite.
How many times have you ever been asked that, and specifically how many times have you been asked what the English national anthem is (the true answer being “We don’t have one”)?
Jerusalem can’t be the UK anthem as it is about England.
HoW often is a national anthem even referred to by name, rather than as ‘the national anthem’?
Because you just know people will take the p. Also England does have a national anthem, it's just shared with Great Britain.
This is why I suggested something completely new.
As long as it's not crap.

WAB

It's still part of Bangladesh then.
Yes, but it refers to another country, which is what Jerusalem does. Perhaps it just doesn't matter.
You think all of the countries of the UK should use GSTQ when they are competing individually? I think you need to read up on UK political relations and cultural differences, because you don't seem to appreciate the strong national sentiments of Wales and Scotland.
Because you just know people will take the p. Also England does have a national anthem, it's just shared with Great Britain.
It is shared with the United Kingdom, not just Great Britain. We should respect the cultural diversity of the UK.

XAM2175

Established Member
I think you need to read up on UK political relations and cultural differences, because you don't seem to appreciate the strong national sentiments of Wales and Scotland.
They mustn't hear very much about that sort of thing in the Mid-Cheshire part of Japan.

najaB

Veteran Member
Wales alone - Land of My Fathers
Scotland alone - Flower of Scotland / Highland Cathedral
England alone - Jerusalem / I Vow to Thee My Country
N. Ireland alone - Londonderry Air

Any two or more of the above - God Save the Queen.

Simple, no?

takno

Established Member
Wales alone - Land of My Fathers
Scotland alone - Flower of Scotland / Highland Cathedral
England alone - Jerusalem / I Vow to Thee My Country
N. Ireland alone - Londonderry Air

Any two or more of the above - God Save the Queen.

Simple, no?
The main issue with that is that Flower of Scotland is terrible. If you're going to go with awful modern tat you'd be better off with Loch Lomond - it's more upbeat and frankly less desperate

najaB

Veteran Member
The main issue with that is that Flower of Scotland is terrible. If you're going to go with awful modern tat you'd be better off with Loch Lomond - it's more upbeat and frankly less desperate
I'm not a fan of it either, but ISTR that it came out in front the last time people were polled.

My personal choice would be Highland Cathedral.

Neptune

Established Member
As for GSTQ being a dirge - that is only the formal version, it is anything but when belted out by a stadium full of fans.
It sounds like a bunch of p*ss*d up chavs when it’s ‘belted out in a stadium’. A bit like Tubthumping (the song that ruined Chumbawamba) or I predict a riot by the Kaiser Chiefs. Both awful songs made worse by football fans ‘singing’ (broadest sense of the word) it.

Meerkat

Established Member
Also England does have a national anthem, it's just shared with Great Britain.
England does not have an official national anthem. It is up to individual sports to decide - hence cricket and football using different ones.

Geezertronic

Established Member
England does not have an official national anthem. It is up to individual sports to decide - hence cricket and football using different ones.

And the British Lions (Rugby) do not sing an anthem prior to their matches (and I am completely ignoring "The Power Of Four" which was a made up anthem which dramatically went south and was quietly forgotten about :D)

Grumpus63

I think that ultimately, a few years down the line, if Haslet and Megobtain manage to wangle their way into a King and Queen role then the National Anthem should be changed to "Gold" a track by Amanda Lear......

Geezertronic

Established Member
I think that ultimately, a few years down the line, if Haslet and Megobtain manage to wangle their way into a King and Queen role then the National Anthem should be changed to "Gold" a track by Amanda Lear......

The Spandau Ballet "Gold" may be more appropriate :D

takno

Established Member
He's 6th in line to the throne. Dealing with that many kind hearts and coronets would be a rather disturbing degree of wangling

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
I am quite happy with the national anthem but suggest we change it to the Sex Pistols version.

Isn't that, for all practical purposes, the version we get anyway whenever the football crowds sing God Save the Queen? :lol:

He's 6th in line to the throne. Dealing with that many kind hearts and coronets would be a rather disturbing degree of wangling

If those two ever get anywhere near the throne, we might need to modify the God Save the Queen lyrics slightly. Maybe something like, "God save us from the King,...." ;)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I'm not a fan of it either, but ISTR that it came out in front the last time people were polled.

My personal choice would be Highland Cathedral.
How about "Donald Where's Ye Troosers?" ;)

England's should be "World In Motion". Specifically the bit that John Barnes rapped in the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.