• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Request to document Stevenage P5 opening including placing a camera in the cab of a train using the new platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

malc-c

A month ago I sent an email to Grant Shapps (well his office at the DoT)... requesting information on the opening day and what opportunity there would be to document the event.... this is the reply I just received

Network Rail and GTR are working closely together to complete the platform so they can re-introduce train services to the public as soon as possible. Public train services are expected to resume in early August and there will be a public announcement to confirm when the platform will officially open for passenger services.

Key stakeholders will visit the station to view the new infrastructure when passenger services commence. However, this event will be restricted to ensure that social distancing can be maintained, so regrettably we will not be able to accommodate extra people at the opening.

Thank you again for your email. We hope this reply is helpful.

Yours sincerely
Correspondence team,

Seems CV19 gets used as the excuse yet again ! I also find it strange that no date is mentioned yet a date would be known in order to ensure the stakeholders are able to make time in whatever schedules to be available...

Around the same time I fired off an email to GreatNorthern to enquire how to apply for permission for a cab ride between Watton-at-Stone and the new Platform, or to place a camera in the cab so as to get a drivers eye view so to speak

This was the reply

Thank you for getting in touch requesting access to one of our trains so that you can finalise your video diary regarding the Stevenage Turnback.

Unfortunately, permission can not be granted for you to ride along between Watton-at-Stone and Stevenage, you will need to wait until the platform is opened for passenger use. Permission to leave a camera on the train to film the journey, which would require the driver to move it for the return journey, will not be allowed as the changeover time is restricted and this action would require extra time to follow through.

I know this may be disappointing to you but trust you find the information of help.

The fact the train sits at platform 5 for around 12 minutes, the driver would have ample time to move the camera as requested..... so much red tape these days. I'm just thankful that the management at Spencer's have a better approach to public relations and supported me so much in documenting this project.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcq

Thanks for trying malc - obstructionst comes to mind.
Do you think 'they' are shooting it and don't want you to spoil their parade?

malc-c

I have no idea if this is likely to be covered in the media.. as I mentioned above the Mayor of Stevenage and the council have no invites to any public opening day, so I'm guessing it will be the directors from Spencer, Network Rail, TOC's and any other 3rd party investors.... My current health issues mean that I don't like being in the limelight or have confidence to interview anyone, so it would have simply been a case of standing in the wings and recording from afar...totally non-intrusive.

I can understand that these days there is so much red tape which precludes the public, but Spencers manages it to get me on site and walking the track..... Not that I want to mention the man, but at times like this I miss Jim'll fix it :)

Years ago (1971), as a kid of around 9 years old I spent all my summer holiday on the site of the A1M construction at Welwyn. We would sit and chat to the guy who controlled the lights to stop traffic on the A1000 so that the huge earth movers could cross the road at what is now the south bound exit and entry slip roads. One day one of the scraper operators called me over, told me to grab a broom and he lifted me to the steps and told me to get in. I did the round trip, pulling the levers to load the earth into the machine... then up to where the B197 bridge was being built to drop it off... that memory will stay with me for the rest of my life.....

Anyway, I digress.... I'll try and keep an ear to the ground and if I get wind of any ceremony to open the platform I'll do my best to cover it.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
A month ago I sent an email to Grant Shapps (well his office at the DoT)... requesting information on the opening day and what opportunity there would be to document the event.... this is the reply I just received

Seems CV19 gets used as the excuse yet again ! I also find it strange that no date is mentioned yet a date would be known in order to ensure the stakeholders are able to make time in whatever schedules to be available...

Around the same time I fired off an email to GreatNorthern to enquire how to apply for permission for a cab ride between Watton-at-Stone and the new Platform, or to place a camera in the cab so as to get a drivers eye view so to speak

This was the reply

The fact the train sits at platform 5 for around 12 minutes, the driver would have ample time to move the camera as requested..... so much red tape these days. I'm just thankful that the management at Spencer's have a better approach to public relations and supported me so much in documenting this project.

The drivers' agreed duties during a turnround time are rigidly agreed between the TOC and the Trade Unions. It's reasonable that they can't be expected to also "just do this" as well. It all takes time and adds stress to the driver.

malc-c

The drivers' agreed duties during a turnround time are rigidly agreed between the TOC and the Trade Unions. It's reasonable that they can't be expected to also "just do this" as well. It all takes time and adds stress to the driver.

Fair comment....As I've said before I'm not in the industry so am not familiar with procedures. From the laymans point of view it seem that they just swap ends and wait for the green light having done the normal procedures for departure, which would still leave plenty of time for the 20 seconds or so to place the camera down on the surface in the RH cab... But I agree that as its not part of the agreed terms then I accept it wouldn't happen, and I the TOC wouldn't want to agree to something that might trigger industrial action as a result of my request :)

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Fair comment....As I've said before I'm not in the industry so am not familiar with procedures. From the laymans point of view it seem that they just swap ends and wait for the green light having done the normal procedures for departure, which would still leave plenty of time for the 20 seconds or so to place the camera down on the surface in the RH cab... But I agree that as its not part of the agreed terms then I accept it wouldn't happen, and I the TOC wouldn't want to agree to something that might trigger industrial action as a result of my request :)

You also need to consider if the train is late arriving, or the camera won't stick, or the driver accidentally knocks the off button, given he/she technically won't be "trained' in how to do this.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
You also need to consider if the train is late arriving, or the camera won't stick, or the driver accidentally knocks the off button, given he/she technically won't be "trained' in how to do this.
Or the TOC might be afraid of being asked to reimburse the value of the camera if it falls or is knocked onto the floor. No doubt they could put together a waiver to sign away their responsibility, but it might just be too much hassle.

skyhigh

Established Member
Or the TOC might be afraid of being asked to reimburse the value of the camera if it falls or is knocked onto the floor. No doubt they could put together a waiver to sign away their responsibility, but it might just be too much hassle.
Also not least the policies they have regarding electronic devices in driving cabs - what if the camera started making a distracting beep while approaching a red as a random example. Unfortunately I think for several reasons it's just a risk they won't want to take.

Edited to say thank you for all your updates in this thread, it's really appreciated by myself who used to live in the vicinity but since moved!

malc-c

Also not least the policies they have regarding electronic devices in driving cabs - what if the camera started making a distracting beep while approaching a red as a random example. Unfortunately I think for several reasons it's just a risk they won't want to take.

Edited to say thank you for all your updates in this thread, it's really appreciated by myself who used to live in the vicinity but since moved!

Makes you wonder what hoops all these channel 4/5 documentary producers have to go through to bring programs such as last night's program following a newly qualified driver... seemed OK for the camera and operator (and possibly producer) to be in the cab...

Yes it's been a great thread...It wasn't my intention to take it over in the way it panned out, but I'm sure the OP doesn't mind :)

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Makes you wonder what hoops all these channel 4/5 documentary producers have to go through to bring programs such as last night's program following a newly qualified driver... seemed OK for the camera and operator (and possibly producer) to be in the cab...

One assumes that was filmed pre-virus, and before the ban on anyone except the driver in a cab...

Mcq

More likely its down to whether 'they' think there's PR in it
- my time in telly suggested that most 'can't do that' could be overcome by a 'can do person' with a reason for wanting it done!

InOban

Established Member
More likely its down to whether 'they' think there's PR in it
- my time in telly suggested that most 'can't do that' could be overcome by a 'can do person' with a reason for wanting it done!
The railway does seem wellprovided with people who are very good at finding reasons for not doing something.

malc-c

The railway does seem wellprovided with people who are very good at finding reasons for not doing something.

I guess it also depends on the nature of the individual that you deal with... some may take some effort to see through the chain of management if they can help or make exceptions to the default "NO" policy, whilst others just cut and paste default answers. I guess some organisations are so paranoid over all the risks and liabilities that its simply easier to just refuse such requests.

When I had my site visit with the guys from Spencers it was fantastic. It's a shame I couldn't upload the original version of the video I made as it was full of banter between us all, and they made me feel so welcome. But it was also a two way relationship as they asked (and was given) permission to include clips of my videos in their internal meetings, and stills were featured in their internal newsletter. They even covered my visit and how covering the project has helped with my own health issues which tied in nicely with their sponsored charity for this year.

choochoochoo

Established Member

Also the TOC/NR may have an exclusivity agreement with another party with respect to track view cameras. There's a company that do this sort of footage and perhaps letting someone else do this infringes on that too.

malc-c

Don't know if this person might be of any help. They seem to be getting cameras in cabs.

I've watched several of his videos. My gut feeling is that he's a driver and videos whatever route as they mostly tend to be in the same north of England region... Looking at one of the image he's posted with two go-pros attached to the windscreen, I can't see how it would have been approved of if he wasn't in the industry

-6EDzia9HoabI3vPpWvpHGig_CVYbNqjdWWL1-EYWuwEZJ2ayeROlH7FbTc3-BLIJdZViwYOJQC51Bk=s800-c-fcrop64=1,357f0000c5b1ffff-nd

hwl

Established Member
I've watched several of his videos. My gut feeling is that he's a driver and videos whatever route as they mostly tend to be in the same north of England region... Looking at one of the image he's posted with two go-pros attached to the windscreen, I can't see how it would have been approved of if he wasn't in the industry

-6EDzia9HoabI3vPpWvpHGig_CVYbNqjdWWL1-EYWuwEZJ2ayeROlH7FbTc3-BLIJdZViwYOJQC51Bk=s800-c-fcrop64=1,357f0000c5b1ffff-nd
Transpennine driver

malc-c

Transpennine driver

Well there you go... I would assume his managers have approved his actions... Given all the points listed above I would have thought that they would have said the camera placement is a distraction or could obscure his vivability, especially if, god forbid, he was involved in any incident ?

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Should be pointed out they aren't all TPE though.

He's done EMR, Northern and TfW videos.

Status
Not open for further replies.