• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Reshaping Britain's High Streets

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeg

Established Member
For some reason people have an emotional connection for having to drive/get public transport somewhere to buy something at an overinflated price. I grant there's situations such as the tactile experience of clothes shopping and supermarkets where bricks and mortar makes sense and some shops can make shopping an experience, but this doesn't work for everything or everyone. Yet the current proposals essentially are like taxing the electric lamp industry to subsidise the oil lamps manufacturers in that online should be taxed more and retail given relief.

I have an alternative plan: We reshape Britain's high streets and focus on what they excel at, whilst managing decline of the rest and funding better and more advanced industry rather than low-paid retail jobs. Think of it as a Beeching axe for an over-served high street that all will come out better from except those clinging to doomed business practices. Who agrees?

Disclaimer: I work in retail myself, am not poorly paid but not brilliantly paid either and these thoughts are entirely my own based on nothing but realism.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

21C101

Established Member
I think they are doing that to some extent already by allowing landlords to convert them to residential accomodation with a minimum of planning paperwork.

For the shop chains the balance between lightly used shops and online sales suffering as a result of vanishing from the public eye by having too few physical points of presence will be a tough one.

The wider challenge is to stop the whole town centre becoming a sink estate sparking a spiral of decay.

mikeg

Established Member
Well surely we need to make the planning process easier on the edges of the town and perhaps actively convert such buildings to housing or other industry, to enable the centre to flourish. That would probably avoid the town centre sink estate situation, with fewer shops stood empty and those that are open in a more prime location,

Status
Not open for further replies.