• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Residents complain about Stirling Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

rf_ioliver

From the BBC

Residents' misery over reopened Stirling railway line

Residents living close to a reopened stretch of railway line, used by freight trains, say their lives have become a misery.

Just wondering what they'd think about the HGV equivalent of the coal trains instead?

t.

Ian

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Agent_c

Those houses seem to have a nice view, which was obviously part of the reason they bought it. Pitty they didn't look a little closer to the bountry line and spot the railway, or the level crossing.

I wonder if the railway actually contributes to the reason why that view is still there, rather than have the view spoilt by another row of houses.

SPADTrap

Established Member
I hope it is only me who ironically cannot get any sound to the BBC video! :lol:

Yew

Established Member
How many trains use the line daily?

cf111

Established Member
I do have a level of sympathy with these people if they moved in before the railway became operational again, the same for people who have a railway built near their houses after they move in. I think it's different than people complaining about an operational railway which was there long before they were born, they can suck it up as far as I'm concerned.

The Snap

Established Member
How many trains use the line daily?

Looking at Realtime Trains, there appears to be around 20 trains a day. That's pretty consistent each weekday and weekend.

I suppose if you’d been used to not having 1000t train trundling past your garden all day, you’d be a bit put out. Still, it has been open since 2008 and those houses look newer than that…

NSEFAN

Established Member
In terms of sound proofing, I think the view will need to be sacrificed in order to make that happen. There's not much scope for moving the railway line elsewhere. They might be able to scrounge some money out of Network Rail if their property has been devalued because of the railway becoming operational again, provided the houses were there first!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The houses, even if built before the line was reopened, were built after the prospect of reopening became a serious possibility.

oldman

I suppose if you’d been used to not having 1000t train trundling past your garden all day, …

I think the problem is having them trundling past all night. I suspect people assumed they would just have a sprinter whizzing past twice an hour until midnight. RTT for 3/3/15 has freight trains at nearby Causewayhead at 0106 0157 0247 0352 and 0448.

blackhill

The houses, even if built before the line was reopened, were built after the prospect of reopening became a serious possibility.

The line was never closed, it was only unused. So permission was never required to use again. Tracks were there long before houses.

dk1

Veteran Member
NR should just reply "get stuffed" I would, but then again doubt anyone in media relations would touch me with a barge pole haha.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I'll guess you're thinking of the 'who was here first' argument?

This operated in nuisance law on the basis that the noisy activity must have been established and operating for 20 year or more, and without any significant break in operations. The "prospect of reopening" does not in itself grant any immunity to a claim of Nuisance.

route:oxford

Established Member
This has been ongoing for years now.

Will it be better if the Alloa Route is electrified?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
This has been ongoing for years now.

Will it be better if the Alloa Route is electrified?

Probably not much- the issue is with the heavy coal trains rumbling past, and isn't confined to just the loco noise. I wouldn't expect the coal trains to go electric anyway.

The Snap

Established Member
Probably not much- the issue is with the heavy coal trains rumbling past, and isn't confined to just the loco noise. I wouldn't expect the coal trains to go electric anyway.

Me neither, unless they electrify all the power stations, coal terminals and bits of railway in between which remain non-electric.

matchmaker

Established Member
Me neither, unless they electrify all the power stations, coal terminals and bits of railway in between which remain non-electric.

Please refer to my post #13...

oldman

Please refer to my post #13...

Longannet is expected to close by the end of the decade. There is currently a politicised dispute about the cost of connecting its output to the National Grid, in which the threat of earlier closure is being used by one side. I suspect a deal will be done to keep Longannet open a bit longer.

Oliver

When I lived in Cambridge a few years ago houses were built on the site of the old MPD, next to the station. The new residents started to complain about the noise of the trains within a fortnight.

khib70

I believe there was something similar discussed on here not long ago in relation to Craigentinny TMD and local residents complaining about noise. The depot opened in 1904 and is pretty hard to miss on a map!

lincolnshire

When I lived in Cambridge a few years ago houses were built on the site of the old MPD, next to the station. The new residents started to complain about the noise of the trains within a fortnight.

The same happened at York on the site of the old Dringhouses Yard, the yard shut down and became derelict and was then surplus to requirements and was sold. Low and behold the site was covered in houses which just happened to be next to the East Coast Mainline and later what happens we have residents complaint about trains through the night keeping them awake and we are going to write to our M.P. and get them stopped etc etc.

Didn,t they do there research, if the yard had not closed then and land disposed of then there houses and they would,t be living there.

Always think before you buy and visit the area at night, what that train going past, why is there a bus stop on this road? where does that railway line go? and even though its rusty why has it not been lifted and will trains run again on it? All questions that need answering before you purchase the house.

Do your own homework first and don,t just take the solicitors word for what the searches have brought up, get out there and do your feet on the ground research into the area your buying in and at various times of day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.