• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Restriction QU Cardiff to Tunbridge Wells 08/08/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradleyd

South Wales, but from the flat Southlands of lincs
Hi, I'm booked on to the 12:20 arrives at 16:20 train from Cardiff Central to Tunbridge Wells on Sunday 8th August.
The ticket cost me £44.01 on train split.com and has the restriction QU.

The itinerary it has given me is 12:20 Cardiff, 14:16 Paddington, tube to Charing cross, 15:25 Charing cross, 16:20 Tunbridge Wells.

I have two questions. Is it the Great Western, or both the trains which are reserved? If it is only the great Western, would I be able to do something like get the tube to kings cross st pancras and then walk down to Charing cross? Or would I only be able to exit at Charing cross/embankment tube?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Reservations are available on the SE train (presumably the 'not a specific seat' type?) so officially you mustn't use any other service. Whether that would actually be checked I can't say.

The tube element of the ticket is valid to exit (but not re-enter) anywhere in Zone 1 if you wish.

CrispyUK

The ticket cost me £44.01 on train split.com and has the restriction QU.
Based on the price, it sounds like trainsplit have provided you split tickets for this journey. Can you confirm the split point(s) and ticket type for each ticket as this will affect the answer.

alistairlees

Established Member
It's Cardiff to Tunbridge Wells advance single, one single ticket.
What does the price say on your ticket? It should not say £44.01. At the moment I can see a price if £30.30 for this exact journey for an Advance Single.

bradleyd

South Wales, but from the flat Southlands of lincs
What does the price say on your ticket? It should not say £44.01. At the moment I can see a price if £30.30 for this exact journey for an Advance Single.
I'm feeling really stupid, I'd written down the entire price, but had also forgot I'd got a couple of random Cardiff to Abercynon single tickets that I'd put in the same basket, and then wrote .01 rather than .10. You are absolutely correct, the Cardiff to Tunbridge is £30.30.

I'm just wondering about the restrictions on the London side, because if I do have to be on the itinerised train from Charing cross, no problems, but if I don't, want to have a stroll through London and not have to worry about being on a specific train

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
I’ve just had a quick play with the TPE site, which offers the same fare (although rather bizarrely it suggests starting the London to Tunbridge Wells leg at London Bridge - maybe all the tickets via Charing Cross have now gone, or TPE think passengers like changing on the underground instead of just using the Bakerloo). But when it comes to reservations, it tells us for the London to Tunbridge Wells leg
You must reserve a seat for this (part of the) journey.

Although I have found a different point to join the Tunbridge Wells train, it looks as if you’re required to be on that train. So there’s no walk across Central London for you.

steamybrian

Established Member
I was unaware that reservations could be made on any SE services as the carriages and seats are not numbered. There is no capacity limit on the trains.

alistairlees

Established Member
A few quick points:
- [to the OP]: strictly speaking, you should follow the itinerary, at least for the National Rail parts, as both services are 'reservable' in the data. On the GWR train you will have a real reservation. On the Southeastern train you won't - it's just a way of managing sales quotas of cheap tickets. In practice I doubt that anyone on Southeastern will care (and you can always just say that you were delayed on the tube). You are not required to follow the tube itinerary. You will need to enter the tube at Paddington, but you could go to Farringdon on the tube and exit there and walk to Charing Cross (if there was time) or to somewhere else and walk.
- [to Fawkes Cat]: the GWR itinerary is just from their journey planner logic. It has nothing to do with the Advance fares on SE only being available from London Bridge and not from Charing Cross (this is not correct; all the London Terminal stations are in the same quota). Regarding the tube transfer to London Bridge, it's just in the data as a time (duration), and the data does not contain any information about whether a tube change is required or not
- [to steamybrian]: these are not real reservations but 'counted place' reservations for the purpose of selling limited quantities of Advance tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.