• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Revenue management at DfT for Great British Railways

Status
Not open for further replies.

OLJR

I understand from a friend who used to work at one of the TOCs (now retired) that with the launch of Great British Railways, DfT is most likely looking for experienced revenue managers from industry and I am tempted to put my hat in the ring.

I reckon I would be a great candidate, with 14 years in airline pricing & RM and more than $1 billion revenue raised for airlines on every continent. For the last eight years I have been an independent consultant in this field and have had the good fortune to travel the world already so the idea of settling down in London and optimising rail revenue for the second half of my career is very appealing. There is no reason I could not do it - the relevant data, systems and processes should be easy to learn and I already have the principles and experience side sorted from my airline projects.

But apart from watching Yes Minister I don't really know how the Civil Service works. I have never been a civil servant, nor have I worked in railways, so I don't have any relevant contacts or understanding of how these things are done. I am keen to avoid simply putting my CV into a recruitment portal - that won't work. Anyway, nothing currently shows on the Civil Service jobs portal.

I would love to hear any thoughts from the good folks on this board - if you were looking at moving from another part of the travel industry into DfT and Great British Railways, how would you go about it?

Many thanks in advance.

:)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Short answer is no-one knows. Recruitment, who's going to be doing what, none of that is decided yet (at least not published) so for now it's sit and wait.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I would love to hear any thoughts from the good folks on this board - if you were looking at moving from another part of the travel industry into DfT and Great British Railways, how would you go about it?

If a job in this area comes up, apply. Simple!

However, if ‘GBR’ does need revenue people, it will have a fairly broad field to choose from existing people form DfT, RDG and the TOCs. It’s fairly certain that the number of jobs needed in this field (and many others) will be fewer than exist today. That’s the whole point of GBR.

Established Member
You obviously haven't seen the episode of Yes Minister where Hacker wanted to slim down the Civil Service. The proposal required recruiting more staff to work out how to do it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.