• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RHB Swiss Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Hi, Hopefully, when things improve, I may be going on a small group tour to Switzerland, based in Chur, then Brig. We will be doing full trips from Chur to Tirano and St. Moritz, but will also have free days with full Swiss Passes or Interail cards. I was looking into travelling from Chur to Scuol-Tarasp, then back down to Klosters/Davos/Filisur/Chur. I see there appears to be direct RHB Trains from Chur to Scuol-Tarasp via Landquart. Do the trains reverse at Landquart on that service?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Hi, Hopefully, when things improve, I may be going on a small group tour to Switzerland, based in Chur, then Brig. We will be doing full trips from Chur to Tirano and St. Moritz, but will also have free days with full Swiss Passes or Interail cards. I was looking into travelling from Chur to Scuol-Tarasp, then back down to Klosters/Davos/Filisur/Chur. I see there appears to be direct RHB Trains from Chur to Scuol-Tarasp via Landquart. Do the trains reverse at Landquart on that service?

I don't think they need to reverse at Landquart, simply run through onto the Davos line.

Indeed, no reversal involved, the exit to Klosters / Davos is at the east end of Landquart station. The hourly Scoul-Tarasp services from Chur start back from Disentis - the SBB and RhB lines run roughly parallel between Chur and Landquart.

blackfive460

I was looking into travelling from Chur to Scuol-Tarasp, then back down to Klosters/Davos/Filisur/Chur. I see there appears to be direct RHB Trains from Chur to Scuol-Tarasp via Landquart. Do the trains reverse at Landquart on that service?
Those trains form a through service from Disentis/Müstair to Scuol-Tarasp, do not reverse at Landquart and are currently loco hauled.

Regarding your round trip from Chur...
Have you considered going direct from Scuol-Tarasp to St. Moritz then continuing via Filisur to Davos and back to Chur via Landquart? If you time it right, you could catch the Croc hauled vintage train between Filisur and Davos. See https://www.rhb.ch/en/world-of-railway-experiences/steam-nostalgic-rides/historical-trips.

Veteran Member
Those trains form a through service from Disentis/Müstair to Scuol-Tarasp, do not reverse at Landquart and are currently loco hauled.

Regarding your round trip from Chur...
Have you considered going direct from Scuol-Tarasp to St. Moritz then continuing via Filisur to Davos and back to Chur via Landquart? If you time it right, you could catch the Croc hauled vintage train between Filisur and Davos. See https://www.rhb.ch/en/world-of-railway-experiences/steam-nostalgic-rides/historical-trips.
If you are doing Tirano and St Moritz as separate trips, then you can cover the Vereina tunnel and the line through Davos as part of those - but the Berguen stretch is always worth an extra visit (perhaps walking down from Preda)
The route to Scuol is pleasant but not spectacular, and ends well out of town - with Swiss Passes you can head off on the bus at Zernez into the National Park.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Many thanks for your replies and suggestions, oddly enough, I was looking too about possibly going from Scuol-Tarasp to St. Moritz, will check if the Croc trips possible as well. Just waiting to see how travel improves in view of the C19 situation. Take care, stay safe.

Alfonso

Many thanks for your replies and suggestions, oddly enough, I was looking too about possibly going from Scuol-Tarasp to St. Moritz, will check if the Croc trips possible as well. Just waiting to see how travel improves in view of the C19 situation. Take care, stay safe.
If you have a chance, it's well worth going along the centovalli from Locarno to domodossola. Although a chunkmis in Italy I think it's all included in the Swiss pass

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
If you have a chance, it's well worth going along the centovalli from Locarno to domodossola. Although a chunkmis in Italy I think it's all included in the Swiss pass
Thank you, the trip, if it goes ahead, it is infact a 2 centre holiday based in Chur then Brig and whilst in Brig I do plan to do the Centovalli, travelling through the Simplon Tunnel from, Brig to Domodossola then the Centovalli to Locarno, returning to Brig via Bellinzola, the classic line via the Gotthard Tunnel and Andermat. I have done that before, but a very long time ago.

Alfonso

Thank you, the trip, if it goes ahead, it is infact a 2 centre holiday based in Chur then Brig and whilst in Brig I do plan to do the Centovalli, travelling through the Simplon Tunnel from, Brig to Domodossola then the Centovalli to Locarno, returning to Brig via Bellinzola, the classic line via the Gotthard Tunnel and Andermat. I have done that before, but a very long time ago.
Splendid! If you haven't been in a while things have changed a fair bit...the mgb naters bypass and relocated depot, the visp underpass, and if you like thermal baths the massive remodeling of Brigerbad. I think the soon to be relocated fiesch to fiescheralp cable car might also still be 100% included in the Swiss Pass

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Splendid! If you haven't been in a while things have changed a fair bit...the mgb naters bypass and relocated depot, the visp underpass, and if you like thermal baths the massive remodeling of Brigerbad. I think the soon to be relocated fiesch to fiescheralp cable car might also still be 100% included in the Swiss Pass
Yes certainly plenty of choices, I may also try to fit in a trip up to Piz Gloria.

I just hope that it will all be possible, it is scheduled for the Winter so the scenery should look very good indeed and I am sure their trains don't often get delayed by snow on the line.

Veteran Member
Yes certainly plenty of choices, I may also try to fit in a trip up to Piz Gloria.

I just hope that it will all be possible, it is scheduled for the Winter so the scenery should look very good indeed and I am sure their trains don't often get delayed by snow on the line.
If there's heavy snow they do - there were several blockages in the Alps this winter.
BTW you can't walk from Preda to Berguen in winter, but there's a toboggan run (if you are insured, which we weren't...)

On Moderation
BTW you can't walk from Preda to Berguen in winter, but there's a toboggan run (if you are insured, which we weren't...)
Of course, being Switzerland, there are extra trains between Bergün and Preda to take toboganists up the hill with their toboggans.

alistairlees

Established Member
Last time I was at Preda we realised that the last train of the day (or possibly one before) to Filisur was request stop only. It's quite amusing standing on the platform watching the headlight in the tunnel and then holding your arm out to request a loco-hauled service to stop as it emerges from the tunnel...

Status
Not open for further replies.