• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RHTT - filling them up

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluenoxid

Established Member
How do they fill RHTT's? I'm assuming it's a 'hosepipe' from the depots washing facilities. Is it a decent sized pipe that fills it quickly or a couple of garden hosepipes?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
Depends on the location from what I have seen but can be pumped directly from a water bowser or pumped from holding tanks.

At Peterborough, we have 2 huge tanks that are filled whist RHTT on circuit then when they come in at night, pumped from tanks into wagons

bluenoxid

Established Member
At Peterborough, we have 2 huge tanks that are filled whist RHTT on circuit then when they come in at night, pumped from tanks into wagons

Ah, smart move on the electric bills too.

A good hosepipe will shift 1000 litres per hour so it's not that silly.

How long have RHTTs been in operation?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Ah, smart move on the electric bills too.

A good hosepipe will shift 1000 litres per hour so it's not that silly.

How long have RHTTs been in operation?

Our WCML south circuit leaves Bescot at 10:50 am and returns there at 0632 the next day.That leaves 4 hours to fill up at least 12,000 litres and fuel the locos. We are going to need a bigger hose! ;)

They have been operating in various guises for about 10/12 years now, perhaps longer.

Skie

Our WCML south circuit leaves Bescot at 10:50 am and returns there at 0632 the next day.That leaves 4 hours to fill up at least 12,000 litres and fuel the locos. We are going to need a bigger hose! ;)

Think he was intimating that while the units are out and about spaffing their load the tanks at the depot will be trickle filled by a normal water supply. Easily enough time and at no cost other than the water itself.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Think he was intimating that while the units are out and about spaffing their load the tanks at the depot will be trickle filled by a normal water supply. Easily enough time and at no cost other than the water itself.

yes i get that - but often one depot will be running several trains so you need lots of water and lots of flow

Last edited:

Elecman

Established Member
It isn't trickle charging of the tanks, the incoming water supply has to be quite a reasonable supply size

Darren R

Established Member
I'm glad this thread has been opened - I've been kind of wondering about this myself!

As I watch the MPVs go past every day, and look at the size of the water tanks, I have wondered how many track miles can be treated before it needs to be refilled.

I presume this is taken into account and calculated quite carefully when planning the route, but the tanks do look quite small! Do any of the RHTT workings need to be 'topped up' en route?

The Planner

Veteran Member

They have been operating in various guises for about 10/12 years now, perhaps longer.

Have they stopped coming out of Kings Norton now then or is that just the West Mids circuits?

66Yorks

Once a RHTT train has passed through how long before that section of track needs re-treating?

High Dyke

Established Member
So have these replaced Sandite trains that I remember.
Sort of. AIUI depending on the letter designation in the headcode it shows whether the train is water jetting 3J## or spreading sandite (traction gel) 3S##. Perhaps a more learned person will be able to clarify.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Have they stopped coming out of Kings Norton now then or is that just the West Mids circuits?

West Mids out of Kings Norton along with a Swindon/ Gloucester/Worcester

WCML south comes out of Bescot

Once a RHTT train has passed through how long before that section of track needs re-treating?

It depends really. WCML south is daily

BestWestern

Established Member
So have these replaced Sandite trains that I remember.

Do NR still own/operate the ancient former Southern Region EMU vehicles (were they EPB's?!) converted to sandite trains and painted in Railtrack's brown livery? Or are they long gone?

Southern Dvr

Do NR still own/operate the ancient former Southern Region EMU vehicles (were they EPB's?!) converted to sandite trains and painted in Railtrack's brown livery? Or are they long gone?

Long long gone. The one preserved at Derby Etches Park can be seen from passing trains but I think it's lost its railtrack livery.

There are former Gatwick Luggage Vans on the southern used as de-icers though.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Didn't a couple of the EPBs make it into blue and green railtrack? It looked smart if you ask me, but I was just a nipper at the time.

455driver

Veteran Member
Sort of. AIUI depending on the letter designation in the headcode it shows whether the train is water jetting 3J## or spreading sandite (traction gel) 3S##. Perhaps a more learned person will be able to clarify.

That's about it, 3jxx is jetting only, 3Sxx is jetting and sandite (Actually trackgrip60).

Trackgrip60 will only be laid where absolutely necessary, it isn't cheap.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Didn't a couple of the EPBs make it into blue and green railtrack? It looked smart if you ask me, but I was just a nipper at the time.

They did. Infact there were even some old SUB motorcoaches that made it into Railtrack Blue and Green. Used to be lots of them stored outside of Chart Leacon at one time.

Freightmaster

Established Member
Our WCML south circuit leaves Bescot at 10:50 am and returns there at 0632 the next day.That leaves 4 hours to fill up at least 12,000 litres and fuel the locos.
That particular RHTT is formed of three FEAs (most are two)
to provide enough water capacity for such a long diagram.

The Cambrian/North Wales and Cumbrian trains are also triple sets.

So those trains can use three hosepipes and they will be filled in no time!!:lol:

MARK

DarloRich

Veteran Member
That particular RHTT is formed of three FEAs (most are two)
to provide enough water capacity for such a long diagram.

The Cambrian/North Wales and Cumbrian trains are also triple sets.

So those trains can use three hosepipes and they will be filled in no time!!:lol:

MARK

i know ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.