• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Roadworks - Why didn't they take advantage of quiet roads during lockdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matacaster

On Moderation
During best part of 2 years of covid, when roads were empty hardly any work was done. Now it seems many roads are being dug up by council (Barnsley and Huddersfield that's you) and utilities often alternative routes as well. As it was outdoors, why on earth wasn't this work done during covid?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pdeaves

Established Member
What if no one turned up to work to do the job (lots of people isolating, etc.)? That will have a bearing but may not be the whole story.

stuu

Established Member
During best part of 2 years of covid, when roads were empty hardly any work was done. Now it seems many roads are being dug up by council (Barnsley and Huddersfield that's you) and utilities often alternative routes as well. As it was outdoors, why on earth wasn't this work done during covid?
What makes you think there was the money available for anything new to be done? Council schemes usually take years to get through planning and financing. Also utilities would have carried on pretty much as normal, but they have no doubt built up a bit of a backlog with staff being off and changes to working methods etc

bramling

Veteran Member

It might not have helped that they would quite possibly have got “why aren’t you in lockdown?” type criticism from the blue hearts brigade.

On a more practical point, empty roads were only really a thing for a few weeks. It didn’t take long after March 2020 for traffic to start reappearing.

bluenoxid

Established Member
Lots of work has been done during Covid. Pretty well all sites involving pre-planned work closed in lockdown 1. Restarting has been challenging. Many items need to come together to complete works and the lockdowns have impacted all of them.

It has been barely 18 months in the UK.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

In many places, plenty of work has taken place during this time.

The roads were only really empty from late March through to mid May and to a lesser extent from early January to early March (where I am anyway); that's less than 4 months really, not nearly 2 years!

bramling

Veteran Member
In many places, plenty of work has taken part during this time.

The roads were only really empty from late March through to mid May and to a lesser extent from early January to early March (where I am anyway); that's less than 4 months really, not nearly 2 years!

Round here there wasn't much of a dip this year at all, especially during the daytime. Late evenings were a bit quieter, but by no means empty.

The worst time was last summer during Eat Out To Help Out, pretty much the only time ever I've been stuck in traffic on a regular basis leaving London at 22:15 in the evening. Thanks Rishi!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
In many places, plenty of work has taken place during this time.

Funnily enough, this also includes one of the local authorities mentioned in the OP, namely Kirklees (Huddersfield). Yes there's a lot been going on in recent weeks but there was a fair bit done during lockdown too.

SCH117X

Established Member
Road works are often a shot in the dark despite all the pre planning thats takes place. A set of roadworks on the A61 in Killinghall North Yorkshire took weeks rather than days. The contractor having been given the all clear promptly discovered a stack of pipes not where any plans indicated they should be. Conseqentuially had wait for the service providers to give them clearance to work or for the service provider to come along and undertake their own works. Can quite imagine if that had occurred during lockdown it would have a far longer timescale.

NoRoute

I haven't seen a lot of road repairs in my local area recently.

I suspect the issue is funding, most councils are close to broke with barely the cash needed to fund the basic mandatory services, so there isn't the spare cash available to take advantage of opportunities when they come along.

RichJF

They did a lot in my area, now they're doing works again on the same original problem as the repairs failed as soon as the post-Covid traffic returned.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Also not to mention, like the railways (as similar people ask questions about doing engineering works last year) that 1) the engineering teams work be isolating / sick like everyone else and 2) planning comprehensive roadworks takes time and pre-planning.

Bayum

Established Member
I don’t know where you live but where I am, Leeds City Council took full advantage of it.

theblackwatch

Established Member
I don’t know where you live but where I am, Leeds City Council took full advantage of it.
I thought Harrogate had taken all of Yorkshire's cones until I drove through Leeds. :lol:

I think something else that needs to be taken into account is the availability of materials, particularly during lockdown, to undertake the work. A lot of construction projects have suffered from this (and are continuing to do so) during the pandemic, and costs are rising too.

bluenoxid

Established Member

Not according to the opposition politicians who have spent their time politicking.

The real fun begins when they start on Armley Gyratory.

deltic

Established Member
There were major issues in having to change working practices to ensure social distancing on site plus there is only so much equipment and people available and that's before taking account of shielding etc.

Dr_Paul

Established Member
Quite a lot was done in my area too during the first lock-down, taking advantage of the low level of traffic. Unfortunately, some of the repairs look like they've been done by those dodgy blokes who offer to tarmac your front garden; just tar slapped down with no attempt to roll it in, so instead of pot-holes there are loads of tar patches standing proud of the surrounding road surface. The Petersham Road down from Richmond Bridge is appalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.