• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rolling stock Liverpool St to Chingford.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
I believe the 317s are only really used at peak times. That being said, with the repaint/interior refresh for the 315s going on at the moment, there may be slightly more chance of getting a 317.

Before the Lea Valley Lines passed to TFL in May last year, the Chingford line and the Hertford East line had a joint diagram where the 317s used on Hertfords would work a Hertford East service and back to Liverpool Street, and then work a Chingford service and back to Liverpool Street, ad nausum. The 315s would also do this, meaning 2tph out of the 4tph Chingford service was guaranteed 317s. Good pickings for someone like me, who rarely had the chance to catch 317s. :P

Have any 379s worked up to Chingford on service?

Last edited:

prod_pep

Established Member
Last time I used the West Anglia lines, at the back end of 2015, the service between the peaks was 10 single 315s and a double 317 set.

AIUI, it is unusual to have 317s in use off peak, but it does happen from time to time. They rarely seem to be used in four car formation, however.

Established Member
Usually an all day 8 car 317 due to lack of non restricted 315 availability off Ilford as well. AGA "maintenance" ...

Last edited:

SPADTrap

Established Member
317s are used by LOROL frequently all day due to shortages. Commonly even hired 317/6s. Not rare at all.

Last edited:

SPADTrap

Established Member
I've never see any LO 317 units on Saturdays they seem to only run on weekdays whys is that?

I'd guess they have sufficient 315s to cover the weekend timetables and formations. The 317s are far from ideal on that nature of work so if they can avoid using them, especially the 317/6s they hire from AGA then I'm sure they will. The 317/7s were a lot more expensive to lease when they were leased by NXEA and AGA (hence why they got rid of them!) so I'd guess they are costing LOROL similar which means they wont use them unless they have to.

Master29

Established Member
Liverpool Street to Chingford. Aaaahh the memories of class 305`s and 302`s stabled at Chingford for the Bishops Stortford route.

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
When did they last run on that line?

A book I have, "Network Southeast from Sectorisation to Privatisation" says the 305s allocated to the West Anglia sector of NSE were only really used during peaks by the early 1990s. Given the book was published in 1994, and there doesn't seem to be any indication that WAGN had 305s by the time the franchise started, I guess the 305s were finally withdrawn in 1995, when the 365s were delivered to the Great Northern sector, resulting in a cascade of 317s. Presumably the 305s were sent over to the LTS line for a few extra years of service?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.