• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rose Grove station then & now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy873

For me, I came across something interesting in that I never knew (or took notice of) the fact Rose Grove had two bay platforms at either end.

One to serve the Todmorden line, and one for the North Lancs loop line (the latter is of interest to me).

I have been through Rose Grove many times in the past, but was unaware of these bay platforms (or rather just missed seeing them).

I know some development was done in the 80's to the station, so my questions are simply these:

Do they bay platforms still remain, or were they removed / filled in, and when was that any one?

I came across this article which shows the track layout - it must be before 1973 as both lines (up & down) are shown going off to Padiham.

https://www.communityraillancashire.co.uk/archive/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/Rose-Grove.pdf

Does any one have any diagrams / photos of Rose Grove they might share with me - or simply any info would be great.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Can't answer in detail, but Googlemaps clearly shows where the bays were, inset at the "trailing" ends of the long island platform, so beyond the central part that is now in use. I'd never noticed either!

Andy873

Yes, thanks for that - so I'm not the only one to have missed them!

I just wonder when the bay platform was used for the North Lancs loop service, the timetables I have 1957, 1938 show the service starting at Blackburn and terminating at Colne. So the trains would have used the up / down fast lines on the main platforms rather than pulled into a bay (which is of course a dead end).

The only possibility is from the copy of the 1905 timetable which shows B/Burn to Rose Grove - unfortunately it does not mention stations beyond Rose Grove.

Any more clues any one - thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.