• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Route and line sections - "cool" names

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Always liked the naming of the "Up Jericho" line at Oxford (think Morse) - other favourites are the "Up Fast / slow Holborn" approaching Blackfriars and the "Atlantic" lines on the Chatham section from Victoria.

Any other good ones out there ....regrettably the "Electric Loop" towards Long Dyke at Cardiff is (I think) not there any more - called after it having one of the first track circuits in Wales , way back...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railsigns

Established Member
One of the lines outside Glasgow Central used to be named "7 Up".

"Up Stepps" and "Down Stepps" - I came up with those when the line through Stepps was resignalled.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Ipswich Lower Yard had a line called "The Worcester" - where a 1950's era fully fitted freight was marshalled before departure.

"Dardanelles" at Didcot Yard was another one ..

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
The Up and Down Atlantic always sounded rather exotic, although never been exactly sure where they are.

Battersea Park Junction to Peckham Rye Junction via Brixton and Denmark Hill (named I suspect after Atlantic Road , Brixton) - code ATL !

Muzer

Established Member
There are the wonderfully (IMHO) long-windedly named "Up West/Down West Slow" and "Down/Up West Slow No. 1" at Doncaster.

Veteran Member
The Mule, Salisbury to Exeter
The Long Drag, S & C

From the OP's examples, we're talking about official names for specific track sections.

BTW, when did "The Mule" come in? Not come across it till the last few days.

Veteran Member
Battersea Park Junction to Peckham Rye Junction via Brixton and Denmark Hill (named I suspect after Atlantic Road , Brixton) - code ATL !

The derivation is correct. Unusual to find a line named after a road - are there others?

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Why are the Electric lines on the GEML still known as such, when all the lines are electric?

I believe it may be because the pair of tracks that run to Shenfield for the local all stations services were electrified circa 1949. This used DC overhead similar to the present day Tyne & Wear Metro.

The opposite pair were electrified around circa 1960 and continued to Clacton on Sea etc.

Perhaps somebody local could confirm or expand better than I have?

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I believe it may be because the pair of tracks that run to Shenfield for the local all stations services were electrified circa 1949. This used DC overhead similar to the present day Tyne & Wear Metro.

The opposite pair were electrified around circa 1960 and continued to Clacton on Sea etc.

Perhaps somebody local could confirm or expand better than I have?

They were all electrified at the same time - entering passenger service 31/12/49. However the electric service usually ran on the, err, electrics.

I like the fact that the junction between the Up & Down Atlantic lines, and the Up and Down Portsmouth lines, is in Peckham.

snowball

Established Member
Why are the Electric lines on the GEML still known as such, when all the lines are electric?
Similarly with the lines out of Euston. The DC lines which were electrified first are called Electric.

Ships

"The hole" at warrington bank quay, "ducky" siding at guide bridge. Always liked bog junction at Carlisle as well

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Montpellier junction in Brighton sounds as exotic as Lovers Walk depot sounds romantic.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
There's a Burma Road somewhere, SW of Glasgow I think.

Also Junction Road Junction in north London - the road was there first but I'm not sure how that got its name (canal junction?).

Last edited:

Welshman

Established Member
Back in the day before Manchester Victoria was rebuilt, seeing "CF" standing for "Cheetham Fast" when departing eastbound from platform 13 always used to make me smile.

steamybrian

Established Member
In my BR days the line between Sutton to Wimbledon via St.Helier was known as the "Wall of Death"

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The "Swan's Neck Curves" on the Girvan to Stranraer line always sounded interesting and descriptive!

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
They were all electrified at the same time - entering passenger service 31/12/49. However the electric service usually ran on the, err, electrics.

Not quite , in those days there was a very innovative timetable in 1947 which had fast Shenfield starters which ran ML to Romford and crossed over - to the electric slows in the down - the whole thing ran on a 10 min cycle with slows to Chadwell Heath and Gidea Park and a quicker service for the "outers" - even post electrification to Southend in (I think) 1956. te

driver_m

Established Member
The California Loop which sounds very nice.

Located just south of Stoke on Trent.

(Also known as Sideways)

Status
Not open for further replies.