• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Route preferences from Exeter to East Yorkshire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class800

Established Member
I am interested in people's views on route preferences from Exeter area (probably Cranbrook) to East Yorkshire (Hull to Filey area). Not particularly in tickets or fares at this stage, but more about which of the two main ways to get there is seen to offer a better journey - especially if anyone has done a similar journey?

The two main ways I have identified are i) to go via London to Waterloo direct or to Paddington via Exeter St Davids and then from Kings Cross - changing at Doncaster or York as appropriate, and ii) to go via Exeter St Davids and the Cross Country Route, changing at Sheffield or York depending on if it's Hull or Filey - may be one on the outbound and the other on the way back, due to a walking trip.

My initial thoughts are the two routes are about the same time. Via London there is the inconvenience of the Tube. Via Cross Country, there is a 10 minute connection at Exeter St Davids that is often in my experience missed due to single line delays, but once on my way, it's not a difficult journey. Maybe Cross Country is easier, that one difficult connection notwithstanding.

Anyone else got a preference for one way or the other?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thejuggler

Exeter- London, across London, Kings Cross-Hull with Hull trains would be my route choice.

Class800

Established Member
I would be inclined to the London routing yes despite the annoyance of the tube with luggage. However, Hull Trains services are not that frequent. This may have an impact as the Exeter route from Cranbrook via Salisbury to London is not the most reliable due to single line sections, and if my ticket needed to be endorsed if it was an advance, it may be for the next Hull Trains service not LNER? Certainly a factor. As much as this question is about route preferences, it is difficult for me to completely ignore the ticketing implications.

davetheguard

Established Member
You could avoid the tube by going to Waterloo, then National Rail from Waterloo East (which is attached to Waterloo station) to London Bridge, then Thameslink to Kings Cross/St. Pancras.

Class800

Established Member
Thanks for the route idea davetheguard. Sounds good actually. If it's not on my suggested itinerary, I wonder if it would affect my protection if there is a delay. But I do agree it looks a permitted and indeed quite useful route, which I may consider. Some journey planners suggesting changing at Clapham Junction from Cranbrook for the stopper to Vauxhall then for the Victoria Line. This could also be more manageable with bags than going through Waterloo tube station. Both seem quite good ideas. The via Birmingham route doesn't appeal as much currently unless the fare is by far best

irish_rail

Established Member
Get the 1327 HST off Exeter to Sheffield and change there. Saves London and the tube and HST is a reasonable way to travel the long mileage.

Class800

Established Member
Thanks for the idea. That train is quite a poor connection off Cranbrook - around 45 minutes at St Davids, but is certainly worth considering when I get to the details.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
If the possible delays from Cranbrook are of a significant enough concern, is it worth considering starting/ending the journey elsewhere? It has been a mighty long time since 2005 when I was last in the area properly, save for a few hours to do local station scoring a few years ago, but is it worth considering using the bus to Taunton instead? Granted I'm pretty sure you have to get to Axminster first for that, but it's just a thought.

Another route that you might want to consider is using SWR to Basingstoke and changing for CrossCountry there to Yorkshire. It still relies on the single line sections to Salisbury behaving, of course, but if it is truly that much of a concern with delays I would start my journey an hour ahead of the desired time (if possible) to have that fall-back if it does go wrong.

My personal choice of route would come down to how much stuff I was taking with me. As you're going on a walking holiday, I'm picturing huge rucksacks big and heavy enough to knock Mike Tyson out. In which case, I might avoid the London route so as to not need to squeeze into the Tube.

However, I personally would choose to go via London for the speed of the journey. Exeter to Sheffield or York, depending on your itinerary, is a long journey on a Voyager although if it's in First Class it wouldn't be as bad. Someone suggested booking around the XC HST services, and if you do go via Birmingham I would suggest that too. 45 minutes in Exeter, OK not the best place to wait but it would certainly fulfill the minimum connection time and allow for delays with SWR.

So my choice would come down to connection times personally. If the connection through London to join a Hull Trains service was good enough, I'd go that way. Otherwise I'd look to book onto the XC HST

Status
Not open for further replies.