• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rover Tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

RT4038

Established Member
Loco change was definitely at Ricky, I don't think that Moor Park has ever had sidings that could handle the change, Ricky still has them at both ends of the station.

The publicity for rover tickets says that they could be bought up to one week in advance but as they were hand stamped in the 60s there would be nothing to stop them being dated further ahead if the clerk felt like it.

I think it was a reference to 'Twin Rovers' not being available northwards (on the Aylesbury line) beyond Moor Park, rather than to the loco change?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Loco change was definitely at Ricky, I don't think that Moor Park has ever had sidings that could handle the change, Ricky still has them at both ends of the station.

The publicity for rover tickets says that they could be bought up to one week in advance but as they were hand stamped in the 60s there would be nothing to stop them being dated further ahead if the clerk felt like it.

I know that the change was at Rickmansworth. I was suggesting that the limit on twin rovers was Moor Park. I used them a lot in the late 60s, and I'd have gone to Rickmansworth and Watford if had known they were valid. Although I may be confusing it with the Zone 6 limit later applied to travelcards.

PeterC

Established Member
I know that the change was at Rickmansworth. I was suggesting that the limit on twin rovers was Moor Park. I used them a lot in the late 60s, and I'd have gone to Rickmansworth and Watford if had known they were valid. Although I may be confusing it with the Zone 6 limit later applied to travelcards.
Sorry, the reference to the steam to electric change mislead me. All the 1966 and 1967 literature that I have says that Twin Rovers ware valid to, but not beyond, Rickmansworth.

rogercov

Sorry, the reference to the steam to electric change mislead me. All the 1966 and 1967 literature that I have says that Twin Rovers ware valid to, but not beyond, Rickmansworth.
That's true. The loco change was certainly at Rickmansworth as was the limit of the Twin Rover.
What I always found misleading was that some publicity literature for the Twin Rover said "except North of Rickmansworth on the Metropolitan Line" .... misleading because they were valid to Croxley and Watford which are geographically North of Rickmansworth.
Even worse was the ticket itself which simply said "except North of Rickmansworth", which if taken literally would have excluded Watford Junction, High Barnet, Cockfosters, Epping and Ongar!

Status
Not open for further replies.