• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RTVs rejected at station

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSP 2

Or not... just tried to use the replacement and guess what, not scanning so not accepted. Used a Northern one I had as a back up and accepted immediately.

Well that shows that they don't check them before dispatch, and the faulty ones are still being issued. How long has the problems with LNER RTVs been on going?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

robbeech

Established Member
Well that shows that they don't check them before dispatch, and the faulty ones are still being issued. How long has the problems with LNER RTVs been on going?
I suspect someone like @Wallsendmag will know when this problem began, they might also be able to shed some light on when it might end.
We mustn't entirely rule out the possibility that the problem lays elsewhere of course.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
I suspect someone like @Wallsendmag will know when this problem began, they might also be able to shed some light on when it might end.
We mustn't entirely rule out the possibility that the problem lays elsewhere of course.
Fortunately they have now agreed to credit my amount of 'dead money' RTVs as a PayPal payment. It will solve my issue but still kind of misses the point.

robbeech

Established Member
Fortunately they have now agreed to credit my amount of 'dead money' RTVs as a PayPal payment. It will solve my issue but still kind of misses the point.
Indeed. For every person that complains and gets replacements there will be others (maybe more) that won’t bother. If the replacement ts don’t work it’s another opportunity to thing them out further. There’s zero incentive to fix the problem, and it clearly is still a problem (regardless of a ‘fix’).

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Indeed. For every person that complains and gets replacements there will be others (maybe more) that won’t bother. If the replacement ts don’t work it’s another opportunity to thing them out further. There’s zero incentive to fix the problem, and it clearly is still a problem (regardless of a ‘fix’).
And I quite like the fact that my RTVs can eventually pay for (or towards) a day trip, or a rover etc, rather than the money just disappearing into my bank account or paypal. But obviously not LNER vouchers!

Mathieu

And I quite like the fact that my RTVs can eventually pay for (or towards) a day trip, or a rover etc, rather than the money just disappearing into my bank account or paypal. But obviously not LNER vouchers!
Yeah, that's why I usually opt for vouchers, prefer to save it up for a trip or use it when I have to go between Glasgow and Oban.

RJ

Established Member

You could put the money aside into a separate current account that you only use to spend for rail trips? That way you get a debit card that's more widely accepted than RTVs.

I used to believe in hording these alternative payment methods for travel, but am now of the opinion that cash is king.

Last edited:

Andy Pacer

Established Member
You could put the money aside into a separate current account that you only use to spend for rail trips? That way you get a debit card that's more widely accepted than RTVs.

I used to believe in hording these alternative payment methods for travel, but am now of the opinion that cash is king.
I could do, but I'm not organised enough for that!

LNER have finally agreed to put my £69.60 into my PayPal - I'll use that fund to buy a couple more simulations for SimSig!

father_jack

Oddly enough I processed an RTV (GWR TOC) yesterday and it wouldn't scan on anybody's machine. In the end I typed in the numbers and away it went in the bag.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Oddly enough I processed an RTV (GWR TOC) yesterday and it wouldn't scan on anybody's machine. In the end I typed in the numbers and away it went in the bag.
I had a similar problem with one from Gatwick Express a few days ago but was unable to get the numbers to be accepted by keying it in.

RJ

Established Member
I gave up using scanners ages ago. You scan then the machine takes about 60 seconds to process it. Better off doing things the old fashioned way and typing the details in!

Haywain

Veteran Member
I gave up using scanners ages ago. You scan then the machine takes about 60 seconds to process it. Better off doing things the old fashioned way and typing the details in!
It depends very much on the machine and the scanner. They can be very good or completely hopeless

Andy Pacer

Established Member
In good news on RTVs I was delayed on Saturday, applied on Sunday and voucher arrived in the post on Wednesday. We

Well done Avanti.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
The curse of the RTV strikes again... I've been unable to use a £3.13 voucher issued by Avanti this morning at a West Midlands Railway ticket office. This is beyond a joke.

Haywain

Veteran Member
There seems to be a wider problem with vouchers at the present time.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
There seems to be a wider problem with vouchers at the present time.
This Avanti one was also not accepted at the Avanti ticket office at New St. Fortunately a higher value one (with a different date) did scan. To be fair to the staff in there they were as helpful as they could be.

Rather amusingly (or not) Avanti have offered to exchange the voucher, and have strongly advised I send it back to them as recorded delivery. Rather farcical when the voucher itself is only worth £3.13

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.