• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rugby Union

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

75A

Established Member
Back to normality this Evening, just seen Ulster beat the Bulls 26-19 in the United Rugby Championship.
Ulster had their Irish World Cup players available.

JamesT

Established Member
Worcester Warriors are gone. (And took their women's side with them). The new owners of the ground have talked about getting Stourbridge RFC who play in Regional 1 Midlands (5th tier) to move to Sixways and work their way up.
London Irish are in administration, I've not seen any news around them trying to restart.
The other team that recently went bust are Jersey Reds, who have been put into liquidation after being unable to pay salaries.
So there are only 10 teams in the Premiership and 11 in the Championship this season. Which is quite a change from the aspiration to expand the Premiership to 14 teams only a couple of years ago.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Gallagher English Premiership

Sale Sharks 40 ... Newcastle Falcons 22

A good Friday night match showed Newcastle making a good start and not at all looking as a bottom-of-the-league side which motivated Sale. Good to see the return of the World Cup players to add more quality to proceedings and at half-time, Sale led 26-10 and had secured a bonus point. Both sides scored tries in the second half, but Newcastle seemed to have difficulty in converting their tries, only being successful once. Sale won the try count 6-4 and until the Saturday results are known, lie top of the table with five wins from their first six league matches.

JD2168

Eddie Jones has been named the new coach of Japan on a contract until January 2027 less than 2 months after a poor reign as Australia coach ended after the World Cup.

JamesT

Established Member
So that will see him involved in France and his father involved in The Emerald Isle.
Farrell Senior will also be the next head coach of the Lions in 2025. I wonder if he might end up picking his son. England have rules on not choosing players playing outside of England, but the Lions don’t.

JamesT

Established Member
Would such a rule apply on a player moving to a club in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland?
I believe it would, as it only allows players from English clubs. I don’t think it tends to come up with other countries so much as it’s only really the French clubs who have the money to attract foreign players who would be considered for international duty. I don’t think I can recall a prominent English player going to a club in another home nation. Looking through the current squads of those teams, there are a small number of players who have played U18/U20 for England, but nothing further.

Harvester

Established Member
England have started with a narrow 24-27 win in the Six Nations against Italy, who were quite a handful and deserved their bonus point.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Wouldn't have put money on Ireland getting 5 tries in France, even if I'd have known France would be down to 14 for so long.

Storming start for Scotland too.

SteveM70

Established Member
Storming start for Scotland too.

Difficult to tell until they play a decent team - Wales have been absolutely woeful. Losing 5 out of 10 lineouts on their own throw would be unacceptable in village second XV games. Aimless kicks with no proper chase, giving Finn Russell all the time in the world to dictate play

Edit - half time subs have changed the game, Wales on the front foot now

Last edited:

59CosG95

Established Member
Felt like quite a pyhrric victory for the Scots - very nearly fluffed it after getting 2 yellow cards in the 2nd half!

On the other hand, the Cardiff Curse has been broken, so that in itself is a cause celèbre.

Harvester

Established Member
Fourteen man France hang on for a 13-13 draw with Italy in the Six Nations. An 80th minute penalty given to Italy was botched, the ball hitting a post after being repositioned, and then hurriedly kicked to beat the timer.

SteveM70

Established Member
Fourteen man France hang on for a 13-13 draw with Italy in the Six Nations. An 80th minute penalty given to Italy was botched, the ball hitting a post after being repositioned, and then hurriedly kicked to beat the timer.

Harsh on Italy that. The timer is there to stop timewasting, should be stopped when the ball falls of the kicking tee

Established Member
A fantastic weekend of rugby, certainly the best of this year's Six Nations so far, for me. I'm absolutely delighted for Italy getting their thoroughly deserved win, although they really should have beaten France as well. England were absolutely sensational in what has to be their best performance since the 2019 RWC semi final, hopefully we'll see plenty more like it. It was good to see France put in a better performance too, Nolann Le Garrec proving to be a fine stand-in for Antoine Dupont. His sublime reverse pass to Thomas Ramos deserved a try for that alone.

JD2168

Wales centre George North has confirmed he will retire from international rugby after the end of the six nations.

JD2168

Is it certain that he will play top club rugby in France next season?

Yes I believe he has signed for Provence.

Ireland have claimed back to back Six Nations titles after beating Scotland 17-13 in Dublin.
Italy beat Wales 24-21 in Cardiff to leave Wales with the Wooden Spoon. Wales head coach Warren Gatland offered to resign shortly afterwards after a winless campaign.
France beat England 33-31 in Lyon to beat England to second place in the table.

Last edited:

JD2168

Danny Care has announced he will retire from international rugby with immediate effect.

Former Wales & Gloucester winger Louis Rees-Zammit has signed for NFL team Kansas City Chiefs. He will spend the offseason battling for a place with the practice squad.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Gallagher English Premiership

Sale Sharks 41 ... Exeter Chiefs 5

Exeter were indisciplined and conceded no less than seven penalties in the first 30 minutes and Sale took advantage of that to lead 22-0 at half-time. Sale kept the pressure on in the second half and recorded a bonus point win, scoring six tries of which Tom Roebuck scored three of them.