• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rugby Union

UP13

Oh good lord I better start doing some fitness.... Lockdown has not been kind to my body...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Gallagher English Premiership

Sale Sharks 24...Saracens 17

I was particularly interested in this match to see if Sale could keep up their good seasons results. Sale were quite strong in the first half, leading 21-7 at half-time and despite a stronger showing by Saracens in the second half, Sale played well defensively when Saracens exerted much pressure. This result sees Sale currently second in the league table.

UP13

Been confirmed that rugby below level 3 (the entire amateur game) will not resume in October and next announcement will not be until October. I have a tiny feeling that this season might be a write off.

Georgia is confirmed as the replacement for Japan in the 8 Nations tournament.

fgwrich

Established Member
Been confirmed that rugby below level 3 (the entire amateur game) will not resume in October and next announcement will not be until October. I have a tiny feeling that this season might be a write off.

Georgia is confirmed as the replacement for Japan in the 8 Nations tournament.

Sadly so but not unexpected unfortunately. January next year seems to be what is being pencilled in so far, although that of course depends on how this winter goes. It seems like I've picked the right year to come back to my old club - managed a few games lock-down then the weather put a pause on proceedings before covid. :rolleyes:

backontrack

Established Member
Finn Russell with a great cameo off the bench in Scotland's 48-7 battering of Georgia. Surely a Lions shoo-in, he's really developed and rounded his game while in Paris. Hamish Watson MotM.

Darcy Graham - what a player. I think Scotland have some serious depth now, finally building a solid squad. Though there are still big doubts around Gregor Townsend himself.

backontrack

Established Member
Guinness Six Nations

Ireland 50 ... Italy 17

A good start to the current Six Nations by Ireland, who led 24-3 at half-time and scored six tries in the match as they kept up the second-half pressure.
Italt gave a start to their 20 year-old debutant stand-off, Paolo Garbisi, in the absence of Tommaso Allan.

Hugo Keenan and Will Connors made their Ireland bows, while Scotland gave debuts to Oli Kebble and Duhan van der Merwe, the second of whom scored a try. Russell got his 50th cap.

UP13

I fear for Australian rugby union...

Hopefully England won't go into the Italy game this afternoon too cold. I fear a repeat of 2015 when we missed out on points difference. I thoroughly expect Ireland to do a job in Paris.

In even bigger news all competitive amateur rugby has been scrapped this season. It means I will have gone from March 2020 to September 2021 without playing...

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
In even bigger news all competitive amateur rugby has been scrapped this season. It means I will have gone from March 2020 to September 2021 without playing...

Some of the clubs in the National Leagues have been asking for this to happen for a while, because it means that they will be able to arrange their own fixtures on a local basis. Of course, it does need the ban on playing to be lifted, but at least they now have the freedom to do what they want to do.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Well done England in the 6 nations yesterday. Good to have something nice happening.

backontrack

Established Member
Wales 10-14 Scotland

Scotland win the Doddie Weir Cup after a tense and stodgy affair in Llanelli. It's Scotland's first win in Wales since 2002, and they certainly deserved it here, with Wales looking utterly recognisable from the side of the 2019 Six Nations. Gregor Townsend will be impressed by the performances of captain Stuart Hogg and the forward pack - with Edinburgh captain Stuart McInally scoring the Scots' only try - but injuries to fly-halves Finn Russell and Adam Hastings will cause consternation ahead of the games against Italy, France and Fiji. Jamie Ritchie was deservedly awarded Man of the Match, with both the flanker and his counterpart Hamish Watson putting their names firmly into the Lions reckoning ahead of 2021. Scotland finish the 2020 Six Nations in fourth place - with narrow two losses that, for a pair of unfortunate errors by Hogg, could well have been wins. Is this progress for Townsend's increasingly mean team? With Russell and Hastings each likely out for weeks, will Duncan Weir start against Italy and France?

Alun Wyn Jones broke Richie McCaw's appearance record to earn his 149th cap for Wales - meaning that he is now the most-capped rugby union international of all time. However, Wales were marred by a litany of handling errors, a lack of creativity and a tendency to be pushed back while in possession of the ball. There were some strange selections, too; Will Rowlands was preferred to the in-form Adam Beard at lock, while James Davies was picked at openside flanker ahead of the World Cup breakout back-rower Aaron Wainwright. A frustrating day, no doubt, for Wayne Pivac. Scotland have played better in Wales and lost; but Wales let themselves be bullied and battered on Saturday, and finish fifth in this year's Six Nations. A perfect game for Hallowe'en; for the Welsh, that was a horror show. Shane Lewis-Hughes and Scott Steele made their international debuts for the home and away sides respectively.

Butts

Veteran Member
Wales 10-14 Scotland

Scotland win the Doddie Weir Cup after a tense and stodgy affair in Llanelli. It's Scotland's first win in Wales since 2002, and they certainly deserved it here, with Wales looking utterly recognisable from the side of the 2019 Six Nations. Gregor Townsend will be impressed by the performances of captain Stuart Hogg and the forward pack - with Edinburgh captain Stuart McInally scoring the Scots' only try - but injuries to fly-halves Finn Russell and Adam Hastings will cause consternation ahead of the games against Italy, France and Fiji. Jamie Ritchie was deservedly awarded Man of the Match, with both the flanker and his counterpart Hamish Watson putting their names firmly into the Lions reckoning ahead of 2021. Scotland finish the 2020 Six Nations in fourth place - with narrow two losses that, for a pair of unfortunate errors by Hogg, could well have been wins. Is this progress for Townsend's increasingly mean team? With Russell and Hastings each likely out for weeks, will Duncan Weir start against Italy and France?

Alun Wyn Jones broke Richie McCaw's appearance record to earn his 149th cap for Wales - meaning that he is now the most-capped rugby union international of all time. However, Wales were marred by a litany of handling errors, a lack of creativity and a tendency to be pushed back while in possession of the ball. There were some strange selections, too; Will Rowlands was preferred to the in-form Adam Beard at lock, while James Davies was picked at openside flanker ahead of the World Cup breakout back-rower Aaron Wainwright. A frustrating day, no doubt, for Wayne Pivac. Scotland have played better in Wales and lost; but Wales let themselves be bullied and battered on Saturday, and finish fifth in this year's Six Nations. A perfect game for Hallowe'en; for the Welsh, that was a horror show. Shane Lewis-Hughes and Scott Steele made their international debuts for the home and away sides respectively.

Still pinching myself to believe it actually happened !! :E

backontrack

Established Member
Italy 17-28 Scotland

A good bonus-point win for Scotland, despite not really turning up in the first half. Duncan Weir had an excellent game and Duhan van der Merwe scored his second try in as many starts. Zander Fagerson, Scott Cummings and George Turner put the gloss on a win that ensures Gregor Townsend's team are now on their best winning streak - five from five - since 2011. Can they keep it up against France? Rory Sutherland and Jamie Ritchie may miss out through injury, but Scotland will not be easy opponents for the French next week.
Shout out to Italy, who appeared hungry for the win. Danilo Fischetti, their starting loosehead, won multiple turnovers, while Garbisi continued to be adept at fly-half and Matteo Minozzi excelled at full-back. The Six Nations should stay as it is.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Since no posting has appeared on the thread since November of last year, Covid-19 continues to affect the code in more ways than one with the French government now involving themselves in the matter of the top European club competitions and at home, Exeter Chiefs losing twice in their first English Premiership matches.

backontrack

Established Member
Scotland have announced their squad for the upcoming Six Nations:

HK: George Turner, Grant Stewart (Glasgow Warriors), Dave Cherry (Edinburgh Rugby), Ewan Ashman (Sale Sharks)

PR: Rory Sutherland, WP Nel, Simon Berghan (Edinburgh) Zander Fagerson, Oli Kebble (Glasgow), Allan Dell (London Irish)

LK: Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh), Scott Cummings, Richie Gray (Glasgow), Jonny Gray (Exeter Chiefs), Alex Craig (Gloucester)

BR: Hamish Watson, Jamie Ritchie (Edinburgh), Matt Fagerson (Glasgow), Blade Thomson (Scarlets), Gary Graham (Newcastle Falcons)

SC: Ali Price (Glasgow), Scott Steele (Harlequins)
SO: Jaco van der Walt (Edinburgh), Finn Russell (Racing 92)
CE: Huw Jones (Glasgow), Cameron Redpath (Bath), Chris Harris (Gloucester), James Lang (Harlequins), Duncan Taylor (Saracens)
WG: Darcy Graham, Duhan van der Merwe (Edinburgh), Sean Maitland (Saracens), Byron McGuigan (Sale)
FB: Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh), Stuart Hogg (Exeter - Captain)

(Training: Rory Darge (Edinburgh), Rufus McLean, Jamie Dobie (Glasgow))

Redpath is, of course, the sin of former Scotland captain Bryan Redpath.

Several of the above will be harbouring Lions hopes - Sutherland, Z Fagerson, J Gray, Watson, Ritchie, Price, Russell, van der Merwe, D Graham and Hogg all have a shot at making the squad. I've also seen Kinghorn and Harris mentioned as being somewhat within the reckoning. Hamish Watson is, statistically, the highest turnover winner of any team in 2020, I think! And he hasn't missed any of his last 107 tackles in a Scotland shirt. Gatland can't leave him out without compromising his own credibility.

A few key players are injured: hooker duo Fraser Brown and Stuart McInally, scrum-half dynamo George Horne, and new Gloucester signing Adam Hastings. Redpath, Ashman, Craig and Cherry are all uncapped (the latter two have been in Scotland squads before).

There's also a few surprise omissions: no Rory Hutchinson, no Magnus Bradbury, Luke Crosbie or Nick Haining, no Ben Toolis or Sam Skinner, no sign of Sam Hidalgo-Clyne or Duncan Weir...

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

Leicester Tigers 15 ... Sale Sharks 25

A Friday night away visit to Leicester who had won all their five league matches to date was something to concentrate the mind of the new Sale Sharks Director of Rugby, Alex Sanderson who took over a few days ago. Leicester took an 8-0 lead mid-way through the first half, but Sale gradually came more and more into the game and established a narrow 10-8 lead at the break. The second half saw Sale further extend their lead to 25-8, but Leicester only managed to reduce the score to 25-15 thanks to some excellent Sale defensive work.

Sale won the try count 3-2 and this win takes them to second place in the table, a place above Leicester.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Bristol Bears 13 ...Sale Sharks 20

A successive Friday night away match for Sale, this time at runaway league leaders Bristol who had six successive wins in the Premiership, was something that new Director of Rugby Alex Sanderson in his second match in charge had to make careful plans for. The first half saw Bristol score a converted try but the boot of McGinty with three penalties saw Sale lead 9-7 at the break. The second half was a closely fought affair but Sale scored a try and both sides kicked penalties and Sale's defence held firm at the end to record successive wins over teams placed higher than them in the league.

Sale now consolidated their second place in the league table as a result of this win.

Last edited:

UP13

Well done to any Scottish rugby fans who may be on here. England weren't unlucky, we weren't cheated, you were better.

At least Quins won...

UP13

When we next play you at Twickenham in 2023, it'll have been 6 years since we beat you there...

With three home games, this could be your best chance in years.

Butts

Veteran Member
Noble effort by Scotland at Murrayfield before being bushwhacked 25-24 by the Welsh.

Looks like France are in the driving seat now.

UP13

I think Wayne Pivac's tactic of picking props that opposition players can't but help illegally clear out seems to be paying off...

I think Wales may win another Grand Slam. No matter how ugly their opening games are, more often than not Wales win titles when they have momentum, which they do now.

backontrack

Established Member
I think Wayne Pivac's tactic of picking props that opposition players can't but help illegally clear out seems to be paying off...

I think Wales may win another Grand Slam. No matter how ugly their opening games are, more often than not Wales win titles when they have momentum, which they do now.
Someone follows Squidge on Twitter! :D

Scotland probably in for a 5th-places finish again but they deserve more. Watson, Gray, Russell & Hogg are phenomenal players.