• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rugby Union

UP13

Interestingly, apart from 2009 Wales have won a Grand Slam every time they have won their opening two Six Nations matches.

Obviously I want England to beat Wales and France but a part of me really wants a proper Grand Slam decider in the last match. I believe 2003 was the last time two unbeaten teams met in the final round.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WelshBluebird

Established Member
What do we make of the fun from Saturday then!

Being Welsh, I've of course got a bit of a bias, though as soon as the ref had made a couple of decisions right at the start I mentioned to my partner (who is English) about it going to be an interesting one!

For the first try, whilst I understand England being furious, and I would be had it been the other way around, I do think England can't put all of the blame on the ref. For the start it was brilliant thinking and execution of the kick from Biggar. And it really does look like England just switched off a bit too much (you saw that later on the game with one of the later tries too where a penalty was given, England switched off and a quick tap resulted in a try). If you look at the replay, England actually had some cover on their left hand side who look like they could have at least tried to challenge if the ball went that way, whereas there wasn't that same cover on their right hand side where the try was scored. Also I'm not convinced the way Farrell reacted to the ref was the best option - he has given the try, he isn't going to take kindly to you arguing with him about it. Although as I said I'd be fuming if it was the other way around so I can understand the reactions to it.

For the second try, it really depends on your interpretation of the rules from what I can tell. If it was just the ref then I think I'd say fair enough but the fact the TMO also made the same call seems to complicate it! What I do know for sure though is Rees-Zammit looked amazed that a knock on wasn't given, and I think that applies to most of us who have watched much Rugby.

And for the rest - after getting themselves back into the game at 24-24 with the momentum in their favour, England really must be kicking themselves for letting their ill-discipline hand Wales the victory. Itoje especially was lucky not to end up in the bin really (by all means argue if all 5 of the penalties he gave away were correct, but one player giving away so many penalties will always be risking a yellow if the ref gets fed up with him!).

Obviously I want England to beat Wales and France but a part of me really wants a proper Grand Slam decider in the last match. I believe 2003 was the last time two unbeaten teams met in the final round.
Despite the Welsh win, I've no idea if we will get a proper grand slam decider given what the French have been upto!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
What do we make of the fun from Saturday then!

England switched off and only have themselves to blame. They also gave silly fouls away and paid for it. The ref was awful, a massive homer and fairly useless but that is an excuse. BTW Don't get me started on Rugby Union and they sanctification of their refs. Give me football any day!

Also very anti rugby behaviour on social media. Saying bad things to the female BBC presenter for daring to do her job and having a go at players for not clapping. That doesn't sound like the decent jolly ruggers chaps we have come to expect.

UP13

My thoughts.

First try wouldn't have been acceptable at merit table level. I do think Biggar was very smart and it was a perfectly weighted kick. I think this will result in teams no longer huddling when captain is asked to have a word and more teams ready to go if the opposition is huddled.

Second try, I've seen plenty of occasions.where that sort of thing has been waved as play on so no problems from.me.

At 24-24 we could have still won the game so we can't blame the ref.

Regarding Sonja, I thought how questions were bottom of the barrell journalism, even the questions aimed at AWJ. No need for abuse though and I don't understand people who deliberately go after people to abuse. If she was a man I doubt she's have received so much.

Wales were much the better team but at least we didn't keep box kicking it this time.

The main issue for me is we weren't good enough but we are blaming the ref. We will only improve if we accept we were the sole reason we lost (and Wales being better).

The greatest teams always win regardless of the ref.

richw

Veteran Member
Cornish pirates beat Saracens 25-17 today in the first game of the new championship season.
saracens arrived in this league season with a level of unbelievable arrogance. One of their players in a media comment said that he expected to win most games by cricket scores only yesterday. Glad they’ve been put down a peg or two.

UP13

I remember when Quins went down,.everybody was desperate for a famous scalp, especially as we had the All Black Andrew Mehrtens at 10. Exeter beat us and it was a huge deal.

Saracens must be very naive of they think every other club won't be treating them like a cup final (much like most teams in the Six Nations treat the England game like a cup final and we tend to lose a lot of those games).

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Cornish pirates beat Saracens 25-17 today in the first game of the new championship season.
saracens arrived in this league season with a level of unbelievable arrogance. One of their players in a media comment said that he expected to win most games by cricket scores only yesterday. Glad they’ve been put down a peg or two.
It would be rather amusing if they didn't get promoted.

I remember when Quins went down,.everybody was desperate for a famous scalp, especially as we had the All Black Andrew Mehrtens at 10. Exeter beat us and it was a huge deal.

Saracens must be very naive of they think every other club won't be treating them like a cup final (much like most teams in the Six Nations treat the England game like a cup final and we tend to lose a lot of those games).
Northampton Saints were relegated in 2007 despite a star studded team boasting the likes of New Zealand All Black Carlos Spencer. They won every match in what was then called National 1 as well as winning the knock-out cup competition, a feat not equalled.

It was good to spend a season visiting some 'proper' rugby clubs and renew old rivalries at places like Bedford, Moseley and Coventry.

Ahead of the final Game of this years Six Nations tomorrow, The Times report a joint award is expected for Amazon Prime Video, The BBC and ITV, for 1 game per round for the 2022 Championship onwards.
It would mean 10 of the 15 games being Free To Air; which considering BT/Sky were seen as favourites for full rights, would be an excellent result.

B1A1567A-7286-44F4-A5DB-1490A06BB2CD.jpeg

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I could live with that. Regardless of what you think of them as a company, Amazon Prime is more affordable than Sky Sports or BT sports and a lot of people already have a prime subscription anyway. Obviously I'd rather it remains free to air full stop mind you, especially as who knows what will happen over the next few years (having most still free to air for year one of some being paid for feels like a bone being chucked to us to stop us complaining).

richw

Veteran Member
I’ve prime as we getting certain bulk household cleaning products from Amazon and the prime membership gives discount and free postage on the items we have. Prime TV is effectively free to us because we have Prime for other reasons

Butts

Veteran Member
Excellent win for Scotland in Paris tonight 27-23 - first victory for us on their home turf for 20 years !!!

They'll be happy in Cardiff :E

Those narrow defeats against Wales and Ireland have come back to haunt us - potentially could have won ourselves this year.

Never mind - always next year.

gswindale

Congratulations to Scotland on the win. Didn't see the match, but looks like a similar encounter to the Frogs v Wales match last week.

I do feel though that the match shouldn't have happened and that Scotland should have been awarded a Bonus Point victory (and the appropriate points difference) as a result of the covid breaches by France.

Butts

Veteran Member
Congratulations to Scotland on the win. Didn't see the match, but looks like a similar encounter to the Frogs v Wales match last week.

I do feel though that the match shouldn't have happened and that Scotland should have been awarded a Bonus Point victory (and the appropriate points difference) as a result of the covid breaches by France.

Nice sentiment, but much better to actually go there and do the business rather than an award by default.

UP13

I think Scotland were something like 6 points away from a Grand Slam...

Disappointingly Sheedy has kicked the winning points against both England and Harlequins....

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
I think Scotland were something like 6 points away from a Grand Slam...
Had Hogg not knocked on in injury time and instead managed to cross the Welsh line Scotland would have been Champions - assuming and all other results were as happened.
Granted France would have had a lesser mountain to climb last Friday and that result might have then been different.

Last edited:

UP13

Fair point.

I think France obsessed over the 21 points and didn't focus on just winning the game.

France also seemed to focus on the bonus point win against Wales and not just winning. To be fair they did win the game but maybe if it wasn't as open they might have won by more and not needed such a big score against Scotland....

UP13

Huge result for Sale. The Scarlets had their Welsh internationals back.

backontrack

Established Member
Here are my picks for a 36-player Lions squad:

HOOKERS
Ken Owens (Scarlets), Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter), Jamie George (Saracens, Midweek Vice-Captain)

PROPS
Wyn Jones (Scarlets), Rory Sutherland (Edinburgh), Cian Healy (Leinster)
Tadhg Furlong (Leinster), Kyle Sinckler (Bristol Bears), Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors)

LOCKS
Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys, Captain), Iain Henderson (Ulster)
Maro Itoje (Saracens), Jonny Gray (Exeter)

BACK ROW
Tadhg Beirne (Munster), Tom Curry (Sale Sharks)
Hamish Watson (Edinburgh), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Josh Navidi (Cardiff Blues)
Taulupe Faletau (Bath), CJ Stander (Munster)

SCRUM-HALVES
Tomos Williams (Cardiff Blues), Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors), Conor Murray (Munster)

FLY-HALVES
Dan Biggar (Northampton Saints), Finn Russell (Racing 92), Owen Farrell (Saracens, Midweek Captain)

CENTRES
Robbie Henshaw (Leinster), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets)
Chris Harris (Gloucester), George North (Ospreys)

BACK THREE
Liam Williams (Scarlets), Duhan van der Merwe (Edinburgh)
Josh Adams (Cardiff Blues), Louis Rees-Zammit (Gloucester)
Stuart Hogg (Exeter, Vice-Captain), Anthony Watson (Bath)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
In the Gallagher English Premiership, Sale Sharks are still in third place, behind the Bristol Bears and the Exeter Chiefs. The last three results, most recent at the top are:-

v. Gloucester .................. Won 25-22
v. Wasps ........................ Won 20-19
v. London Irish ................ Won 41-13

I really am impressed with the season that the Bristol Bears are having in the Gallagher English Premiership.

UP13

Here are my picks for a 36-player Lions squad:

HOOKERS
Ken Owens (Scarlets), Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter), Jamie George (Saracens, Midweek Vice-Captain)

PROPS
Wyn Jones (Scarlets), Rory Sutherland (Edinburgh), Cian Healy (Leinster)
Tadhg Furlong (Leinster), Kyle Sinckler (Bristol Bears), Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors)

LOCKS
Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys, Captain), Iain Henderson (Ulster)
Maro Itoje (Saracens), Jonny Gray (Exeter)

BACK ROW
Tadhg Beirne (Munster), Tom Curry (Sale Sharks)
Hamish Watson (Edinburgh), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Josh Navidi (Cardiff Blues)
Taulupe Faletau (Bath), CJ Stander (Munster)

SCRUM-HALVES
Tomos Williams (Cardiff Blues), Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors), Conor Murray (Munster)

FLY-HALVES
Dan Biggar (Northampton Saints), Finn Russell (Racing 92), Owen Farrell (Saracens, Midweek Captain)

CENTRES
Robbie Henshaw (Leinster), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets)
Chris Harris (Gloucester), George North (Ospreys)

BACK THREE
Liam Williams (Scarlets), Duhan van der Merwe (Edinburgh)
Josh Adams (Cardiff Blues), Louis Rees-Zammit (Gloucester)
Stuart Hogg (Exeter, Vice-Captain), Anthony Watson (Bath)

Solid looking squad.

I'd go for the following:

Hookers
Ken Owens, Jamie George, Luke Cowan-Dickie

Props
Wyn Jones, Cian Healey, Joe Marler, Tadhg Furlong, Kyle Sinckler, Tom Francis

Second Row
Alun Wyn Jones, Maro Itoje, Jonny Gray, Tadgh Beirne, Courtney Lawes

Back Row
Tom Curry, Justin Tupiric , Taulipe Faletau, Josh Navaldi, Hamish Watson, CJ Stander

Scrum Halves
Tomos Williams, Ali Price, Connor Murray

Fly Halves
Dan Biggar, Finn Russel, Owen Farrell

Centres
Robbie Henshaw, Jonathan Davies, George North, Cameron Redpath

Back Three
Josh Adams, Louis Rees-Zammit, Duhan van der Merwe, Anthony Watson, Stuart Hogg, Liam Williams

Test XV:
1. Wyn Jones (WAL)
2. Ken Owens (WAL)
3. Tadgh Furlong (IRE)
4. Alun Wyn Jones (WAL) (C)
5. Maro Itoje (ENG)
6. Tom Curry (ENG)
7. Justin Tupiric (WAL)
8. Taulipe Faletau (WAL)
9. Tomos Williams (WAL)
10. Dan Biggar (WAL)
11. Josh Adams (WAL)
12. Robbie Henshaw (IRE)
13. Jonathan Davies (WAL)
14. Anthony Watson (ENG)
15. Stuart Hogg (SCO)

16. Jamie George (ENG)
17. Cian Healey (IRE)
18. Kyle Sinckler (ENG)
19. Tadgh Bierne (IRE)
20. Hamish Watson (SCO)
21. Ali Price (SCO)
22. Fin Russell (SCO)
23. George North (WAL)

Despite appearances I am English not Welsh...

backontrack

Established Member
Solid looking squad.

I'd go for the following:

Hookers
Ken Owens, Jamie George, Luke Cowan-Dickie

Props
Wyn Jones, Cian Healey, Joe Marler, Tadhg Furlong, Kyle Sinckler, Tom Francis

Second Row
Alun Wyn Jones, Maro Itoje, Jonny Gray, Tadgh Beirne, Courtney Lawes

Back Row
Tom Curry, Justin Tupiric , Taulipe Faletau, Josh Navaldi, Hamish Watson, CJ Stander

Scrum Halves
Tomos Williams, Ali Price, Connor Murray

Fly Halves
Dan Biggar, Finn Russel, Owen Farrell

Centres
Robbie Henshaw, Jonathan Davies, George North, Cameron Redpath

Back Three
Josh Adams, Louis Rees-Zammit, Duhan van der Merwe, Anthony Watson, Stuart Hogg, Liam Williams

Test XV:
1. Wyn Jones (WAL)
2. Ken Owens (WAL)
3. Tadgh Furlong (IRE)
4. Alun Wyn Jones (WAL) (C)
5. Maro Itoje (ENG)
6. Tom Curry (ENG)
7. Justin Tupiric (WAL)
8. Taulipe Faletau (WAL)
9. Tomos Williams (WAL)
10. Dan Biggar (WAL)
11. Josh Adams (WAL)
12. Robbie Henshaw (IRE)
13. Jonathan Davies (WAL)
14. Anthony Watson (ENG)
15. Stuart Hogg (SCO)

16. Jamie George (ENG)
17. Cian Healey (IRE)
18. Kyle Sinckler (ENG)
19. Tadgh Bierne (IRE)
20. Hamish Watson (SCO)
21. Ali Price (SCO)
22. Fin Russell (SCO)
23. George North (WAL)

Despite appearances I am English not Welsh...
I like the look of your squad! :)

Sadly George North's been ruled out - done his ACL.

JamesT

Established Member
Farcical end to the women’s international between France and England. Floodlights went off on 62 minutes and the players were sent back to their changing rooms. After some discussion between the team managers and the referee it was decided not to restart as it was approaching 11pm local time and there was concern that the delay and cold temperatures would increase the risk of injury. As more than 60 minutes had been played, the 15-17 score was declared as a result and England got their ninth win in a row against the French.

Up till that point it had been quite an entertaining game. Much more flowing than last week’s Six Nations game with two tries apiece. The French scrum continued its dominance, pushing England right back even on their put in. They also got their dangerous backs into the game and the result was very much in the balance when it was stopped.

Unfortunately there is no international women’s rugby scheduled for the rest of the year with the World Cup postponed to next year. Though qualification for that are still not complete so appropriate tournaments do need to be played. There was some obvious rustiness on display in the Six Nations, which the shortened format didn’t help. Two pool matches and a final doesn’t give much opportunity for a team to play their way into form.

UP13

I think both Clealls are part of the England squad but I can't for the life of my remember her name.

Poppy had a pretty good Six Nations last year too.

JamesT

Established Member
I think both Clealls are part of the England squad but I can't for the life of my remember her name.

Poppy had a pretty good Six Nations last year too.

Bryony is the other sister, she plays prop forward. Unfortunately she has had some bad luck with injury so has only made 4 appearances for England whereas Poppy has 45.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Gallagher English Premiership

Sale Sharks 26 ... Leicester Tigers 10

In the Friday night match, Sale paved with way for this win by taking a 16-3 lead at half-time and although Leicester scored a penalty try in the second half when Sale had two men in the sin bin, A J MacGinty was in good kicking form for Sale scoring a match total of 16 points with penalties and conversions. This results consolidates Sale's position in the top three places in the league.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

Sale Sharks 22 ... Bristol Bears 12

This league match was looked forward to with Sale at home to the league leaders Bristol Bears. In the first half, both defences held firm and it was scoreless at half time, but Sale upped their game in the second half and scored three tries in response from two by Bristol. This was Sale's seventh consecutive league win and as this result guaranteed their third position in the league and a place in the end of season play-offs.

Exeter Chiefs 74 ... Newcastle Falcons 3

Exeter stamped their mark on the this league match and were dominant throughout, as you would expect from a side in second place with home advantage over an eleventh place team. The score was 31-3 at half time and by the end, Exeter had ran in no less than twelve tries.

******************************************************************************************************************************

Sale Sharks 45 ... Harlequins 12

Sale are currently full of confidence, as was shown by their victory over the Bristol Bears in their last match, so this Friday evening home match against fourth-placed Harlequins was looked forward to by the home supporters who were not disappointed. Again, Sale started off in dominant fashion, aided by their usual South African contingent, and were 26-7 up at the break. They kept up the pressure on the Harlequin defence in the second half and obtained a bonus point win. Sale won the try count by 7 to 2. This was Sale's eighth consecutive league victory.

Last edited: