• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rusted Cylindrical Shells Beside GSWL

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLUK144

I live next to Busby Junction and I have been following the electrification works with interest. Last night, I had taken a walk up to a bridge, near my house, that overlooks the line when I noticed five rusted cylindrical shells beside the lines. They were not there when I walked up to the bridge last Wednesday and more work was done at the weekend. I have attached a photo of said shells. What are they? Are they connected to the electrification work and if so, what is their purpose?

Attachments

• 1CE0728D-A861-41BA-A02B-583BD817814D.jpeg
    1CE0728D-A861-41BA-A02B-583BD817814D.jpeg
    225.9 KB · Views: 316
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

snowball

Established Member
Are piles of that type driven or bored? They look like ones I've seen elsewhere being bored.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Are piles of that type driven or bored? They look like ones I've seen elsewhere being bored.
I think both, it depends on the exact ground make up. I think as well as using an auger to remove the core of waste they can also push, hammer or vibrate as needed.

AndyPJG

I think they're 'driven', not with a hammer but by an oscillating screwing motion with downward pressure, so relatively quiet.

Southsider

I live next to Busby Junction and I have been following the electrification works with interest. Last night, I had taken a walk up to a bridge, near my house, that overlooks the line when I noticed five rusted cylindrical shells beside the lines. They were not there when I walked up to the bridge last Wednesday and more work was done at the weekend. I have attached a photo of said shells. What are they? Are they connected to the electrification work and if so, what is their purpose?
Do you know if the piles have been installed yet?

On Sunday morning, the contractors drove in some of the piles between the Pollokshaws Viaduct and the Haggs Road Under Bridge.
I posted a photo in the thread for this project.

Southsider

On Sunday morning, the contractors drove in some of the piles between the Pollokshaws Viaduct and the Haggs Road Under Bridge.
I posted a photo in the thread for this project.
Just noticed it, thanks. Good to see productive use being made of the current absence of traffic on Sundays.

Good to see productive use being made of the current absence of traffic on Sundays.
Yesterday, there was non-Scotrail traffic on this route. Avanti ran super voyagers between Glasgow Central and Carlisle (e.g. 1Z62 and 1Z64) and there were engineering trains.
I doubt that the project extended the duration of their possession.

Status
Not open for further replies.