• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ryanair seat selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm looking to buy a Ryanair ticket on which I will want to select a seat, but I may wish to do so later.

I noticed the text "Up to 50% more expensive later" on the seat selection option; implying if you do not select your seat at the time of booking it will cost more.

In the past I've not noticed the price be any different whether I select a seat at the time of booking or doing so later; I generally do so later once I know for sure who I will be travelling with, to ensure we sit together.

Does anyone know if this is just a scare tactic to get people to book seats earlier, or if it really does cost more if you book later?

Or is it that it sometimes costs more if you book later?

And finally, if I do book a seat and change my mind later, can I change seat by simply paying the difference in charge (if there is any) or is there a seat change fee if I change my mind about the seat I want?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mafeu

Depending on your preference for a seat, you may be best rolling the dice on the ‘random’ seat allocation. You can see the seat map prior to check-in and can change seat (for a cost, of course) following check-in.

The algorithm allocates middle seats first in my experience.

ivorytoast28

They sometimes go up in price slightly later on but usually only if the seat was on offer. The offer ones start from £4 and then seem to be £6/7 later on [ofc this changes for any given flight] but they never seem to get outrageous if you're willing to go for the middle/back compared to British Airways that seem to cost a fortune just for a seat. Ryanair let you change or book your seat even after checking in right up until you scan your ticket to go through security. I usually wait until I'm at the airport and then try find an empty row to change to and get a row to myself, this has never cost me more than the *same* seat would have a few weeks earlier. ofc this is a gamble as some flights are pretty full but unlike some american airlines they don't overbook [at least that is what they claim].
You can check the seating at any given time and see how it is filling up, though it mostly fills up 24 hours before when check in opens to those who haven't pre paid for a seat

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have since discovered that the cheap seats do indeed to up by up to 50%, e.g the £4 seats become £6.

However the most expensive seats (e.g. first row or emergency exit) do not go up at all.

So it's worth bearing in mind; if you want a cheap seat, be sure to select it at the time of booking. But if you want a more expensive seat, it looks like you won't be paying any extra if you leave it until later.

I hope others find this useful. Of course, this could change at any time and I can't guarantee the accuracy of this, but I did test it on a couple of bookings.

Established Member
Unrelated, but useful perhaps...

Seat Tip. Often (not always) works - you get the whole row.

(A)(B)(C) ... (D)(E)(F)

If there's two of you, pick a row where (i) three seats are empty on one side, AND (ii) someone is occupying the aisle seat opposite (ie C or D).

9 times out of 10, no-one got stuck in or chose the third seat in our row.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Unrelated, but useful perhaps...

Seat Tip. Often (not always) works - you get the whole row.

(A)(B)(C) ... (D)(E)(F)

If there's two of you, pick a row where (i) three seats are empty on one side, AND (ii) someone is occupying the aisle seat opposite (ie C or D).

9 times out of 10, no-one got stuck in or chose the third seat in our row.
This only happens if the flight doesn't get particularly full, but on less busy flights it does work.

In the event someone is allocated the middle seat, you can ask if they'd prefer the aisle seat, if they prefer. The vast majority of people would jump at the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.