• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

S-Stock door lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I’ve noticed whilst observing and riding on S-Stock in London over the past week, as well as there being a yellow light to indicate door release, there’s also a white light which lights up above the yellow one on certain trains. Can anyone clarify what it’s for and what purpose it serves?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dstock7080

Established Member
I’ve noticed whilst observing and riding on S-Stock in London over the past week, as well as there being a yellow light to indicate door release, there’s also a white light which lights up above the yellow one on certain trains. Can anyone clarify what it’s for and what purpose it serves?
If flashing on one car; a PEA Passenger Emergency Alarm has been operated on the car concerned.
If steady on all cars; RTD Ready To Depart received in CBTC area stations.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Isn’t there a steady one for deiceing cars?
which is blue on the cars so fitted, and will be extinguished when the orange light is on.
Steady orange light; doors open/unlocked.
Flashing orange on one car; sensitive-edge activation on car concerned.

(only on ‘09 & S Stock if an orange light is on between stations, it should be ignored by Staff)

Last edited:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It's to do with the new signalling system.

Diamond Geezer blogged about it last year.

witelite.jpg

Inside the train all may seem normal, but outside there's a splendidly geeky thing to spot. Every S Stock carriage has an external light containing a lower strip which glows orange to show that the doors are open, and above that another strip which has always remained dark. That upper strip now lights up white when a train is ready to go, giving a few seconds warning that the automatic system is cleared to depart. Previously 'movement authority' was indicated by a green signal at the end of the platform, but now it's the trains themselves which display the information. This only happens where the computers are in control, so currently only between Latimer Road and Hammersmith, but eventually everyone'll be able to use the white lights as a signal that it's time to jump aboard.

Domh245

Established Member
(only on ‘09 & S Stock if an orange light is on between stations, it should be ignored by Staff)

That's a bit surprising? Seeing an orange light whilst away from a station surely means that either the doors aren't locked and secure, or there is something stuck in the door that's triggered a sensitive edge - in either case it's a cause for alarm seeing it away from a station.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
That's a bit surprising? Seeing an orange light whilst away from a station surely means that either the doors aren't locked and secure, or there is something stuck in the door that's triggered a sensitive edge - in either case it's a cause for alarm seeing it away from a station.
Sensitive edge activation is flashing orange indication as detailed by the poster above.

If the doors were open then the T/Op would have an appropriate indication in the cab.

You may also notice that there is a time delay between the doors opening and the outside door indicator light illuminating.

Domh245

Established Member
Sensitive edge activation is flashing orange indication as detailed by the poster above.

If the doors were open then the T/Op would have an appropriate indication in the cab.

You may also notice that there is a time delay between the doors opening and the outside door indicator light illuminating.

The thing I found odd was the direction that these should be ignored away from stations, I don't see what reason there would be to ignore an orange light whilst away from a station when they are used to show hazards

philthetube

Established Member
The yellow door lights are linked to the computer, the drivers indication is hard wired and therefore failsafe. Things l;ike water getting into the indicator lights can give all sort of false indications.

Established Member
My understanding is that pre-09 stock the orange lights were hard wired - and with 09 and S stock (and also Electrostars and Aventras) they are controlled by the computer.

I don't drive S or 09 stock but I do drive Electrostars - and whenever we have a dead/failed unit in the train attached to a good unit, every orange light on the dead unit is lit. The doors are closed, and I have door interlock, but they still light up. This is one example when the orange lights can be ignored.

Our procedure for station staff is if they see an orange light remaining lit they confirm the driver has interlock and then give RA. Not sure of the LUL policy.

philthetube

Established Member
My understanding is that pre-09 stock the orange lights were hard wired - and with 09 and S stock (and also Electrostars and Aventras) they are controlled by the computer.

I don't drive S or 09 stock but I do drive Electrostars - and whenever we have a dead/failed unit in the train attached to a good unit, every orange light on the dead unit is lit. The doors are closed, and I have door interlock, but they still light up. This is one example when the orange lights can be ignored.

Our procedure for station staff is if they see an orange light remaining lit they confirm the driver has interlock and then give RA. Not sure of the LUL policy.
That's correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.