• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sailrail availability

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickey

Apologies if this should have been in the Covid section - I couldn’t work out where is best but mods feel free to move if appropriate.

The Stena website currently says that sailrail tickets are not currently available on any route (and suggests that existing ones will not be accepted) due to covid travel restrictions. BUT... they appear to be freely available from usual purchasing outlets with no additional restrictions specified. Does anyone know what’s actually happening in practice, and whether I could travel if I bought one? I’m heading to Belfast and so use either the Scotland or Holyhead routes (subject to Irish government transit restrictions of course).

It’s interesting to me that Stena apparently doesn‘t want people to travel, but never bothered to have the Ayr coach link removed from NRE.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paul1609

Established Member
Apologies if this should have been in the Covid section - I couldn’t work out where is best but mods feel free to move if appropriate.

The Stena website currently says that sailrail tickets are not currently available on any route (and suggests that existing ones will not be accepted) due to covid travel restrictions. BUT... they appear to be freely available from usual purchasing outlets with no additional restrictions specified. Does anyone know what’s actually happening in practice, and whether I could travel if I bought one? I’m heading to Belfast and so use either the Scotland or Holyhead routes (subject to Irish government transit restrictions of course).

It’s interesting to me that Stena apparently doesn‘t want people to travel, but never bothered to have the Ayr coach link removed from NRE.
At a guess its Scotrail who are responsible for the Ayr coach on NRE.

LowLevel

Established Member
I saw a ticket for one last week for an arrival in Holyhead on a train leaving Crewe.

janb

I sold 2 to Dublin last week, because a) reservations available on boat, and b) nothing on internal knowledgebase or Journey Planner emergency bulletin and thinking nothing of it. Later I looked at Stena website and I was like "oh no". But no complaints that I'm aware of yet. If they don't want RailSail sold they need to take reservations out of the system because people will be buying online and at stations unaware, or if they don't mind they need to update their website.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
They've blocked SailRail tickets from being sold on certain routes, but by no means all of them. I suspect that message is out of date. In any case purported 'Covid travel restrictions' are a duff justification for the wholesale abolition of the most affordable way of making quite a few journeys - whilst continuing to sell foot passenger tickets on the relevant sailings.

Status
Not open for further replies.