• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sainsbury Self Service Checkouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

crispy1978

I don't know if it is just me, but everytime I buy something using the Sainsbury Self Service (not noticed this at Tesco, etc), and there is a 2-4-1, or a 'Meal Deal' offer in place, when you click the "Finish and Pay" button, it doesn't take off your discounts for the various items.

For example, just been for lunch, and a few bits and bobs I needed - knew I had a meal deal offer, and a 4-for-£1.50 offer, the total when I pressed Finish and Pay was £9.45, but knowing this was wrong I press "Back", and the discounts magically appear to the expected £7.05.

Now, I've never gone ahead and tried to pay the higher amount (why should I when I know it is wrong?!?) - so it may well sort it out when giving the change - but it seems to be a glitch in their software - has anyone else come across anything like this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trainfan344

Established Member
It the way the checkouts work, They take all the discounts off at the end unlike tesco and asda which take them off as you go.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
It is a glitch with the Sainsbury's system, my nearest Local store has a sign on the self-service tills pointing it out. On the screen where you choose payment type it doesn't take the discounts into account, but I think it does on the next screen when you enter your money or your card.

Last edited:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Used Sainsbury's self service machines dozens of times whilst at uni or on days out - the total cost never has discounts deducted until you select the payment method.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Yes, I concur. Very poor designs. Discount only gets applied at the very last point before payment.

starrymarkb

Established Member
The Sainsburys check out robots are very awkward to use. If you insert your card on the payment scree a pop up appears telling to to go back and press the card button which you have to acknowledge. If it can detect that a card has been inserted why can't it just start the payment process like Tescos and others do.

I'd use the manned checkouts but after a few cases of poor service I won't use them. If they weren't the only city centre instore bakery I'd not go at all

The Boots ones also take the discount off at the end. If they've bothered to program the discount in, in the first place, that is.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I complained to Sainsburys about this months ago, and shortly afterwards those stickers appeared at my local store :)

It's not as bad as Tesco where sometimes every item can make the scales go crazy and call an assistant.

SS4

Established Member
It does seem weird but then you get used to it. It'd be much better if it did it on the fly. The reduced price items are a pain, especially when it picks up the original barcode instead of the sticker and wants to charge full price

Now, I've never gone ahead and tried to pay the higher amount (why should I when I know it is wrong?!?) - so it may well sort it out when giving the change - but it seems to be a glitch in their software - has anyone else come across anything like this?

It updates with the correct amount when you select a payment option.

I just go to a manned checkout

ScottishIain

It the way the checkouts work, They take all the discounts off at the end unlike tesco and asda which take them off as you go.
The Tesco ones don't take the discounts off till after you've pressed finish and pay but the Asda ones do as you go.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Minilad

Established Member
I never use self service check outs. I like to think going to a human checkout might just be helping to save someones job. Probably isn't but thats how I think

Liam

Established Member
I do most of my shopping at night where my local ASDA has one person between the cigarette counter and the self service checkouts. Trying to fit £60 of shopping in the bagging area can be a bit of a challenge. :lol:

To be fair, sometimes they do open a checkout for me, but other times there is nobody to be seen.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I tend to find the Sainsburys machines tend to give me an extra 42p off when I buy two meal deals....

Crossover

Established Member
I tend to find the Sainsburys machines tend to give me an extra 42p off when I buy two meal deals....

That's probably picking up another deal - maybe 2 for 2 quid on Coke. I have had it before - they're not really expecting people to purchase 2 meal deals at the same time

Last edited:

swj99

While standing in the queue for a proper checkout I listen to their checkout robots talking to themselves and each other, even when there's nobody using them. When there is, they often have a problem which needs to be sorted out by a human.

I never use them because I object to the fact that their presence has the potential to put people out of work, and I also believe that if customers have to put their own shopping through a checkout, they should either be paid, or receive a discount for doing so.

I tried one in a Tesco store once, but it didn't work. A message came out to say request assistance, but when I asked a member of staff for help, they told me they couldn't help, so I left the shopping where it was and went to another shop on the way home.

Johnuk123

Established Member
I never use them because I object to the fact that their presence has the potential to put people out of work, and I also believe that if customers have to put their own shopping through a checkout, they should either be paid, or receive a discount for doing so.

Well if you never used anything that had put people out of work life would be intolerable.

You would use about 10 gallons looking for an assisted petrol pump garage for a start.

Last edited:

causton

Established Member
Are you one of the people that insists they be let through ticket barriers manually by a member of staff, instead of putting their ticket through the barrier?

Kite159

Veteran Member
Are you one of the people that insists they be let through ticket barriers manually by a member of staff, instead of putting their ticket through the barrier?

Only if I know the barriers will capture my ticket (and I like to keep my tickets, if that make sense)

--
Self-service tills used to be a good way to get rid of loose change, sadly now the hopper style coin slots have been replaced with a slot you need to enter each coin one by one. Still is a good way of getting rid of loose change, but takes longer to do

swj99

No. I hardly ever use trains.

455driver

Veteran Member
Well if you never used anything that had put people out of work life would be intolerable.

You would use about 10 gallons looking for an assisted petrol pump garage for a start.

I dont use them because there is an alternative and I chose to use that, with your petrol pump attendant there isnt normally an alternative.

Clip

Established Member

They didnt for me meal deal earlier on today. Had toi get the CS point to sort it for me

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
If you use one of those self-service machines at Sainsburys, you should only be charged staff purchase prices for the goods purchased, as you are having to perform a task on their behalf.

Incidentally, I was recently in the W H Smith store in Wilmslow and an elderly lady of at least 80, on being asked to use the self-service machine, remarked that it was too late in her life to train as a shop assistant and that she would go elsewhere to make her purchase.

Clip

Established Member
If you use one of those self-service machines at Sainsburys, you should only be charged staff purchase prices for the goods purchased, as you are having to perform a task on their behalf.

Incidentally, I was recently in the W H Smith store in Wilmslow and an elderly lady of at least 80, on being asked to use the self-service machine, remarked that it was too late in her life to train as a shop assistant and that she would go elsewhere to make her purchase.

Or if you dont like using them and object so badly about them just go and shop elsewhere that doesnt have them, like your local corner shop and pay extra for the preiviledge :lol:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Or if you dont like using them and object so badly about them just go and shop elsewhere that doesnt have them, like your local corner shop and pay extra for the preiviledge :lol:

My wife prefers to use the Sainsburys store in Wilmslow in preference to the Waitrose store and she is a great believer in keeping employment of the friendly and helpful checkout operators at Sainsburys.

She says that she hopes this answers the query that you raised.

swj99

Those Sainsbury self checkout machines are such a pain they will probably be the only thing that survives the end of the world if the human race blows up the planet. There will be one in the rubble, with smoke everywhere, and a red LED will be glowing faintly as it says,
Thank you for using Sainsburys self checkout. Are you Sarah Connor ?

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
I hate self-service tills in any store, they never seem to work properly, always end up having to call over the staff member watching over the tills. They're about as useful as a chocolate teapot

dzug2

They didnt for me meal deal earlier on today. Had toi get the CS point to sort it for me

Sainsburys have reduced the range of items included in the meal deal - possibly related to that?

Whistlekiller

I hate self-service tills in any store, they never seem to work properly, always end up having to call over the staff member watching over the tills. They're about as useful as a chocolate teapot
The moral of this story is never buy cheap chocolate teapots. It always ends in tears. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.