• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Salford Central Disruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Until further notice, all trains westbound from Man Vic, bar the Man Vic-Blackpool North, are unable to call at Salford Central, due to diamond crossover at Windsor Bridge South Junction....is...well how can I put it...NOT THERE!

This could take more than a few days to sort out sadly.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

M60lad

1> Why is there Emergency Engineering works going on at Salford Central at the moment

2> Is there a reason why only Manchester Victoria-Blackpool North services can call at Salford Central wheres no other trains can

PR1Berske

Established Member
I want to know why they're wasting money running buses between VIC and Salford Central every 10 minutes!

Welshman

Established Member
1> Why is there Emergency Engineering works going on at Salford Central at the moment

2> Is there a reason why only Manchester Victoria-Blackpool North services can call at Salford Central wheres no other trains can

I'm not completely certain of the facts, but I gather there are problems with a diamond crossing to the west of Manchester Victoria, meaning trains are having to be diverted outwards via Ordsall Lane and the Windsor Link.

But I gather they can use the normal route inbound, via Salford Central, and that line is also being used by the hourly Blackpool service serving Salford Central on the "wrong" line.

I think!! :)

Greybeard33

Established Member

I'm not completely certain of the facts, but I gather there are problems with a diamond crossing to the west of Manchester Victoria, meaning trains are having to be diverted outwards via Ordsall Lane and the Windsor Link.

But I gather they can use the normal route inbound, via Salford Central, and that line is also being used by the hourly Blackpool service serving Salford Central on the "wrong" line.

I think!! :)
According to this post on the SSC forums, the diamond crossover at Windsor Bridge South Junction has been temporarily replaced by plain line. Therefore the Down Salford line is blocked and westbound trains from Salford Central have to cross to the Up line before the junction.

To minimise conflicts on the single track, most westbound services are being diverted via Ordsall Lane Junction and so bypassing Salford Central, but it seems a path is available for the Blackpool North service to call at Salford Central.

Eastbound services from Salford Central are unaffected.

snail

Established Member
I want to know why they're wasting money running buses between VIC and Salford Central every 10 minutes!
Because Northern are obliged to run their published service, so if you want to get to or from Central they have to get passengers to Victoria.

Silv1983

The rumour im the mess room is that the new diamond crossover was found with a ruddy great big crack in it. Worst of all it came all the way from Romania where another will have to be re-ordered. April has be brandished as the new completion time. Not good if true.

Nym

Established Member
Or just go groveling to Lillie Bridge Depot or some other company in the UK to fabricate them one before one can be cast up to be more perminant...

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

Is there not a new market of rail travelllers to the surrounding environs of Salford Central station with all its commercial and finance new-build office blocks. Had this occurred in London, not an eyelid would have been batted.

Established Member
Taken by my fair self

8354079546_101b8a062b_b.jpg

not good!

Phil6219

To be honest, even if you did get to see the picture, there's quite a bit missing!

Good one :D

Is now the time to point out that this probably wouldn't have been a problem had they not tore up the tracks from platform 3 &4? (Actually in all honesty I can't remember if those lines had points leading to the adjacent Liverpool Line).

Anyway, what a royal balls up this is yet again.

Phil 8-)

M60lad

Latest on this is as follows according to National Rail site:

An essential piece of track work at a junction between Manchester Victoria and Salford Crescent has been damaged. New components need to be specially made and this disruption is likely to last several weeks.

Because of this, only trains at 07 and 22 minutes past each hour from Manchester Victoria will be able to call at Salford Central - all other services will be diverted and not call there.

In addition, the following trains will also call at Salford Central:

07:44 Todmorden - Wigan Wallgate
16:04 Rochdale - Wigan Wallgate
17:20 Manchester Victoria - Blackpool North
17:36 Manchester Victoria - Wigan Wallgate
18:20 Manchester Victoria - Blackpool North
18:33 Manchester Victoria - Wigan Wallgate
19:00 Manchester Victoria - Clitheroe
19:28 Manchester Victoria - Blackpool North.

To try and avoid congestion, the following trains will not call at Salford CRESCENT

15:24 Southport - Manchester Airport
16:24 Southport - Manchester Airport
16:40 Clitheroe - Manchester Victoria
17:24 Southport - Manchester Airport
17:56 Preston - Manchester Victoria.

A replacement bus service will run every 10 minutes between Manchester Victoria and Salford Central.

Greybeard33

Established Member
Latest on this is as follows according to National Rail site:

An essential piece of track work at a junction between Manchester Victoria and Salford Crescent has been damaged. New components need to be specially made and this disruption is likely to last several weeks.

Because of this, only trains at 07 and 22 minutes past each hour from Manchester Victoria will be able to call at Salford Central - all other services will be diverted and not call there.

In addition, the following trains will also call at Salford Central:

07:44 Todmorden - Wigan Wallgate
16:04 Rochdale - Wigan Wallgate
17:20 Manchester Victoria - Blackpool North
17:36 Manchester Victoria - Wigan Wallgate
18:20 Manchester Victoria - Blackpool North
18:33 Manchester Victoria - Wigan Wallgate
19:00 Manchester Victoria - Clitheroe
19:28 Manchester Victoria - Blackpool North.

To try and avoid congestion, the following trains will not call at Salford CRESCENT

15:24 Southport - Manchester Airport
16:24 Southport - Manchester Airport
16:40 Clitheroe - Manchester Victoria
17:24 Southport - Manchester Airport
17:56 Preston - Manchester Victoria.

A replacement bus service will run every 10 minutes between Manchester Victoria and Salford Central.
Good work by NR to improve the temporary timetable. However, I bet that some Salford Crescent-bound passengers on the five eastbound services that no longer call there (using the avoiding line?) will fail to listen to the announcements and get a nasty shock when their train does not stop!

PR1Berske

Established Member
That sort of thing will always happen. Passengers are normal folk, and normal folk are creatures of habit.

However, I suspect (hope!) that there's more posters/signs/announcements than usual given the nature of the problem.

themiller

Am I the only one who thinks that this would be an opportunity to replace a bespoke trackwork item with something standard by altering the layout?

rebmcr

Established Member
Am I the only one who thinks that this would be an opportunity to replace a bespoke trackwork item with something standard by altering the layout?

Can't remember where I got this from, but aren't all diamonds bespoke?

Nym

Established Member
Can't remember where I got this from, but aren't all diamonds bespoke?

Pretty much, but one could go cap in hand to a number of UK companies and get one fabricated within two to three weeks if they flashed enough cash.

But this would be a semi fabricated peice of PWay rather than the usual that Network Rail like having that IIRC is single peice cast.

Welshman

Established Member
IIRC, there used to be four lines from Pendleton Broad Street [the Brindle Heath flyover provided the fast lines] paired by use, and the lines to/from Bolton trailed into/diverged from these just west of today's Salford Crescent. Then the four lines continued round the bend through Salford to Manchester Victoria.

Then there were other lines diverging from/leading in to the slow lines, linking this area with the docks and quays.

Status
Not open for further replies.