• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Easing of Coronavirus restrictions in Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.

kez19

Established Member
I hope the Conservatives block it purely because it's the SNP introducing it, wouldn't rule it out. I think Labour, Lib Dems and Conservatives should team up and oppose it, surely that'll outnumber the SNP/Greens?

I have no idea but do we really think opposition parties will actually have a backbone to stop it?

If it’s been mentioned Friday - seems to me that regardless of vote it’s been automatically approved (without a proper discussion on it - if that makes sense?)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I hope the Conservatives block it purely because it's the SNP introducing it, wouldn't rule it out. I think Labour, Lib Dems and Conservatives should team up and oppose it, surely that'll outnumber the SNP/Greens?

Well no, the SNP and Greens have a majority?

fraser158

102 fan

An
I vote for the party because My local SNP MSP and SNP MP have helped me personally on more than one occasion so I also like to reward them with my vote.

I don't support Sturgeon, I've never cast a vote for her and I feel she should have been replaced as I find her ineffective on independence and this Covid baggage will haunt her forever, always being a distraction away from what she should be focusing on. I won't vote for a unionist and too many green policies are incompatible with my lifestyle, so the SNP will get my vote until a credible alternative emerges.

And every vote you give the SNP bolsters her position and actions. The soober they suffer at the polls, the sooner this nonsense will stop. It's like N I, the politicians could drown kittens on TV but still get elected because of the colour of thier coat.

Why is nobody in Scotland asking why, with restrictions looming and a mask mandate, thier cases are worse than Englands, who has dropped the restrictions?

kez19

Established Member
An

And every vote you give the SNP bolsters her position and actions. The soober they suffer at the polls, the sooner this nonsense will stop. It's like N I, the politicians could drown kittens on TV but still get elected because of the colour of thier coat.

Why is nobody in Scotland asking why, with restrictions looming and a mask mandate, thier cases are worse than Englands, who has dropped the restrictions?

If no opposition asks then why doesn’t the media? I forget that they too couldn’t give a toss about the public but will piggyback along with whoever is in charge, they are all a waste of space.

102 fan

If no opposition asks then why doesn’t the media? I forget that they too couldn’t give a toss about the public but will piggyback along with whoever is in charge, they are all a waste of space.

Same as in NI, unfortunately.

kez19

Established Member
Same as in NI, unfortunately.

It’s ironic in a way whilst I may say that the UK media in general will jump on the bandwagon it proves a point even as a home nation (or separate 4 nation approach), the media are just that, I just hope that the media realise that they’ll not be as free as they claim to be or want to be they’ll be next in the firing line from the governments (obey us or…), probably far fetched but who knows everything seems to be happening for a reason - the downfall will happen eventually so that’s the only positive I can see.

Considering the SNP *increased* the number of seats they hold at Holyrood in the May 2021 election I don't see that happening anytime soon

Scottish Schools have been back for 2 weeks now- that's probably the key driver (the upwards trend starts gently about a week after the 9th Aug relaxations then shoots up once schools returned)
I suspect England will see a similar effect shortly
The only significant additional restriction in Scotland is the indoors and public transport face covering requirement

317 forever

Established Member
I’ll place a bet that it gets passed including our opposition backing it (sadly), but on the system side they’ll be a balls up somewhere but we won’t know until it’s been reported

Just read from Friday people will be able to download their QR code - why not say app? May as well plaster our QR code on our foreheads next! (too soon?)
Although I don't live in Scotland, the more ideas like this I see, the more convinced I am to delay getting a smart phone.

Considering the SNP *increased* the number of seats they hold at Holyrood in the May 2021 election I don't see that happening anytime soon

Scottish Schools have been back for 2 weeks now- that's probably the key driver (the upwards trend starts gently about a week after the 9th Aug relaxations then shoots up once schools returned)
I suspect England will see a similar effect shortly
The only significant additional restriction in Scotland is the indoors and public transport face covering requirement
Admittedly by just 1 seat but yes, it was still an increase

kez19

Established Member
Although I don't live in Scotland, the more ideas like this I see, the more convinced I am to delay getting a smart phone.

Admittedly by just 1 seat but yes, it was still an increase

Supposedly according to The Guardian Boris seems to be heading the same way? Either it’s coincidental or it’s co-ordinated as to timings of it being announced/spoke of it appears in The Guardian (Boris and Vac Passports)

Unable to quote as on phone….

Butts

Veteran Member
Downloaded my "Passport" just now but it's got a QR code for each dose - ie 2 codes.

Is this the right thing ? - thought it would have only one QR code.

I've already got it's predecessor in letter form.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Downloaded my "Passport" just now but it's got a QR code for each dose - ie 2 codes.

Yeah bizarrely the covid vaccine QR code is actually two. If they are ever made mandatory alongside boosters, pretty soon we will need a folder to carry all the sodding paperwork.

kez19

Established Member
Yeah bizarrely the covid vaccine QR code is actually two. If they are ever made mandatory alongside boosters, pretty soon we will need a folder to carry all the sodding paperwork.

How is that meant to work as proof? Got to zap in twice? Seems something that could be simple is looking to be a nightmare

Any ideas on where to look for it?

EDIT: went to the NHS recover username site: I see it valid until next year so again where is this heading or whats around the corner?

Just to also add it help if the NHS recover site pointed to an app or anything to say - it just feels to me up in Scotland things could be done alot simpler than a run around to get to your final destination approach (who comes up with these ideas?)

Last edited:

Bantamzen

Established Member
How is that meant to work as proof? Got to zap in twice? Seems something that could be simple is looking to be a nightmare
No idea, but when we checked in at Leeds Bradford airport the agent just checked the dates on the 2nd dose, the QR wasn't used. That kind of tells you all you need to know about this nonsense.

kez19

Established Member
No idea, but when we checked in at Leeds Bradford airport the agent just checked the dates on the 2nd dose, the QR wasn't used. That kind of tells you all you need to know about this nonsense.

Yet another question is, is it compatible to use in the UK and outside to the rest of the world?

Bantamzen

Established Member
Yet another question is, is it compatible to use in the UK and outside to the rest of the world?
Well on arrival here in Spain it wasn't checked, they just scanned the QR code of the passenger locator form and used one of those impressively useless temperature guns. So I'm afraid I can't answer that, although the rules here are that proof of vaccination or negative tests must be in English, Spanish or French.

takno

Established Member
According to articles on the BBC website, yes.

It should be fairly easy to produce ScotGov-signed QR codes, and given that the EU clearly already has facilities in place for sharing the public half of government keys, it's equally fairly easy to make codes from all of the CTA and EU work in all locations within the CTA and EU. Nothing about the technology is innovative, difficult to scale or in particularly hard. Even though they're hobbled by having to report to dozens of public sector stakeholders, the technology group responsible will be able to deliver it by now.

The problem isn't the technology, or even the vaccinations (which I've had). It's the principle. It's now dangerously and appallingly cheap to make peoples lives inconvenient, and the political will seems to have evaporated to stop wild and random scope creep by authoritarian government. We're in a lot of trouble.

kez19

Established Member
According to articles on the BBC website, yes.

It should be fairly easy to produce ScotGov-signed QR codes, and given that the EU clearly already has facilities in place for sharing the public half of government keys, it's equally fairly easy to make codes from all of the CTA and EU work in all locations within the CTA and EU. Nothing about the technology is innovative, difficult to scale or in particularly hard. Even though they're hobbled by having to report to dozens of public sector stakeholders, the technology group responsible will be able to deliver it by now.

The problem isn't the technology, or even the vaccinations (which I've had). It's the principle. It's now dangerously and appallingly cheap to make peoples lives inconvenient, and the political will seems to have evaporated to stop wild and random scope creep by authoritarian government. We're in a lot of trouble.

Yet it reminds me of the talk of Blair and ID cards - it could look pretty much a backdoor approach just make a few alterations - an app/code, bingo!

I remember even going back to high school, I had (still have actually) a Validate UK card which was meant to be used to gain entry into places but at the time was later told it was open to fraud! If I was wanting to buy booze or get into a pub/nightclub as a last resort (before getting my passport) I had to use my birth certificate as proof.

It is indeed a slippery slope but I do wonder on the other are those in the media as well as our politicians/scientists doing the same or they opting out? (this question leads me to be skeptical since we know in Westminster "supposedly" - they don't need to have a vax passport - so will Holyrood be the same?) and if it does differ it then again proves it one rule for public and not our politicians.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I have been coping quite nicely with face masks, until now.

Something in me has snapped and I’ve now taken my mask down on this bus. (Hardly anyone else is wearing one anyway).

They are making me feel incredibly frustrated and angry.

devon_metro

Established Member

Something in me has snapped and I’ve now taken my mask down on this bus. (Hardly anyone else is wearing one anyway).

The huge spike in cases confirms they have limited effect.

takno

Established Member
The huge spike in cases confirms they have limited effect.
No, no, the huge spike in cases confirms they are essential. Just imagine, without the prudent retention of masks absolutely everybody in Scotland would have Covid now, and some of us would have it twice.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Being as this is the first Scotland specific thread I have found in this section of the forum, something sinister has come to light in that the Scottish Government have got a racist to front the present health campaign due to an increase in infections.

8th September

Janey Godley apologises for 'horridly offensive' historic tweets​

By Angus Cochrane @_AnguscchrnMultimedia Journalist

Janey Godley says her profession was 'no excuse to use disgusting and hurtful words'

18 comments

JANEY Godley has apologised for “horridly offensive” social media posts after they surfaced online.
The Glasgow comedian said her profession was “no excuse to use disgusting and hurtful words”.
The offensive tweets – which have prompted a complaint from a Tory MSP about "unacceptable references" to disabled people and Chernobyl disaster victims – were re-shared by social media users after new coronavirus safety adverts featuring Godley were broadcast on television.
She has issued an apology on her Twitter account.
It reads: “There are tweets from my past social media that are horridly offensive, I believe in progress not perfection and I am far from perfect. People have every right to go through my social media and see what values I hold and to find hurtful phrases and statements is shocking, I am deeply sorry to everyone I offended.
“Comedy is no excuse to use disgusting and hurtful words that affect people and I know many of you expected better of me. I apologise for every single word that upset people, I should have blocked and reported the accounts that threatened me and not replied with abhorrent heckles."

The comedian added: “There are fake tweets created to damage my reputation but the ones I wrote I take responsibility for.
“During this pandemic, I tried to keep everyone's spirits up and I will continue to do my best to keep that going.”
Godley is well known for her comedy voiceovers of high-profile figures, including Nicola Sturgeon.
The offensive tweets have prompted a Conservative MSP to raise concerns about the comedian's role in an upcoming pantomime production.
She is set to appear in the Beauty and the Beast pantomime production at His Majesty’s Theatre, Aberdeen, in December.
Douglas Lumsden, Tory MSP for the North East region and former Aberdeen Council co-leader, took to social media to say he’d contacted theatre bosses over concerns about posts which make "unacceptable references" to disabled people and Chernobyl victims.

Writing to the chief executive of Aberdeen Performing Arts, Jane Spiers, Lumsden said it is “concerning that the lead performer in this year’s pantomime in Janey Godley, undoubtedly a well-known actor but one with a history of offensive and derogatory language on social media”.
Godley later thanked those who sent her supportive messages.
She tweeted: "What an amazing out pouring of love for me, thanks – we have to put our hands up when we use offensive language that upsets people and I am willing to do that – many many people were rightly offended at stuff I said and you have to own it – comedy or not."

See https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news...pologises-horridly-offensive-historic-tweets/ for the article in its original form.

takno

Established Member
Being as this is the first Scotland specific thread I have found in this section of the forum, something sinister has come to light in that the Scottish Government have got a racist to front the present health campaign due to an increase in infections.

See https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news...pologises-horridly-offensive-historic-tweets/ for the article in its original form.
Probably merits a thread of its own tbh. I have never had any time for either Janey Godley or any of the Government's health campaigns, but digging up old social media posts and using them out of context as part of an attempt to de-platform people is grim behaviour whichever side is at it.

RPI

Established Member

I had that light bulb moment about mid June, kept getting constant migraines and was on the train working with one of the wretched things on, in the heat and just said "enough".
Funny enough, not had a migraine since when I was getting about two per week whilst wearing a face nappy.

ld0595

An interesting article highlighted on Reddit earlier tonight. As is stands, anyone who has had their vaccine administered outside Scotland will be banned from a nightclub, music venue, stadium etc. from 1st October.

The extract in question:

What if I've been jabbed in England, Wales or Northern Ireland?

Currently people vaccinated outside Scotland won't qualify for entry to nightclubs or other venues.

The Scottish Government says it's working with England, Wales and Northern Ireland to work out a solution - as well as considering how to deal with overseas visitors.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
An interesting article highlighted on Reddit earlier tonight. As is stands, anyone who has had their vaccine administered outside Scotland will be banned from a nightclub, music venue, stadium etc. from 1st October.

The extract in question:
That's crazy - and completely ignores the fact that there are significant cross-border flows for all kinds of cultural and sporting activities. Scotland is not an island - no matter how much certain members of the Scottish government may want it to be.

Just as one example, imagine the scenes if Berwick Rangers have a big away game in the Scottish Cup. Would their predominantly English fanbase be turned away at the gates? Music venues would also cause problems - a lot of people from the North East and Cumbria attend gigs in Scotland because sometimes that'll be the nearest venue on a band's tour. Would they have to stop?

scotrail158713

Established Member
According to this announcement from the Scottish Football Association, clubs don’t even know how the system will work yet. The SFA aren’t the greatest themselves, however, as has been pointed out by many on social media, if even they can see how ridiculous the plans are, then they must be bad. I wholeheartedly disagree with the idea but it’s meant to start in 2 weeks yet no one knows how it’s going to work. (I have copied a small section of the statement below)
At both meetings, the Scottish Government representatives acknowledged they were not yet in a position to provide the detail necessary for clubs to begin their implementation planning.

takno

Established Member
That's crazy - and completely ignores the fact that there are significant cross-border flows for all kinds of cultural and sporting activities. Scotland is not an island - no matter how much certain members of the Scottish government may want it to be.

Just as one example, imagine the scenes if Berwick Rangers have a big away game in the Scottish Cup. Would their predominantly English fanbase be turned away at the gates? Music venues would also cause problems - a lot of people from the North East and Cumbria attend gigs in Scotland because sometimes that'll be the nearest venue on a band's tour. Would they have to stop?
Apart from all the cases you mention, a significant proportion of Edinburgh clubs would struggle to make it through a normal winter without the huge proportion of the student population who aren't Scottish. Mind you, they haven't defined nightclubs yet, so maybe they'll decide that a nightclub is somewhere open past 1 where more than 90% of the normal clientele are Scottish

Reading the rest of the article, they're also going to make non app users get a new "non-editable" paper version, and the existing paper version which they are still distributing now won't be valid. It's almost like they're literally making it up as they go along without the faintest hint of a plan.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Is Scotland currently on level -1 and are the current plans to move to -2 or back to zero?

I am really pleased Scotland is currently mandating masks during this period of cases surging to twice the levels as in England without masks, as this enables people to make up their own minds on the effectiveness of them :)

However the good news is that cases now appears to be plateauing in Scotland.

I expect vaccination passports to be abandoned by the SNP - who are only doing this for political reasons - in due course

Status
Not open for further replies.