• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Easing of Coronavirus restrictions in Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.

kez19

Established Member
Cases in Scotland have been pretty stable at around 2500 per day for a while now (daily figures vary a bit but the rolling 7-day average is pretty flat) - I've attached a screengrab from Our World In Data site which is one of the few places I've found that shows the four nations seperately

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/uk-daily-covid-cases-7day-average?time=2021-08-20..latest - updates most days

There is a particular stress on paediatrics partly due to higher rates of RSV than normal - this seems to be catchup from 18 months+ of reduced cases during restrictions/lockdown
The thing was on the Scotland Tonight preview that night they didn’t explain it properly - it was autopilot COVID, whilst I see where there is issues then this should have been made clear (STV/Scotland Tonight).

This is why I believe now the media needs held accountable for their reporting either report it as honest as possible or don’t bother - but then again it’s all about chasing ratings (or for press chasing audiences), in Scotland both BBC/STV are as bad as one another.

Watched The Nine briefly last night and topic brought up again was… you guessed it “lockdown”, broadcasters do love lockdowns don’t they I wonder why and the need to push it? You would think the broadcasters have an agenda (wonder how much is true in what I say, but let’s wait on everything to come out the wash over all this)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

oldman

I don't believe the NHS is overwhelmed or near to being overwhelmed.

From the BBC

NHS Lanarkshire has moved to the "highest risk level" as its three hospitals are at maximum capacity.
The military is already providing additional support at University hospitals Hairmyres, Monklands and Wishaw.
But the health board described occupancy levels as "critical" and said the "sustained pressure" shows no signs of easing.
It also confirmed some elective cancer procedures have been cancelled.

The problems with A&E and the ambulance service are well known as well.

35B

Established Member
For me I rather then say when are we going to get the GPs open? I see the media never ask that.
We must be reading different media then - the access to GPs and the BMA’s dispute with the government has been a major thread in the media coverage I’ve been seeing.

kez19

Established Member
We must be reading different media then - the access to GPs and the BMA’s dispute with the government has been a major thread in the media coverage I’ve been seeing.

Well since I missed it enlightening me.

Butts

Veteran Member
Why have Scotland decided to retain the 2 Day PCR Test rather than switching to a Lateral Flow variety like England and Wales for returning travellers ?

Secondly how do they identify people who have entered the UK at an English Airport and then travelled onto Scotland ?

island

Veteran Member
Why have Scotland decided to retain the 2 Day PCR Test rather than switching to a Lateral Flow variety like England and Wales for returning travellers ?
Because Nicola always wants to be different.
Secondly how do they identify people who have entered the UK at an English Airport and then travelled onto Scotland ?
If the travellers have filled out the form correctly then it should be trivially easy for any competent authority, which rules out the possibility of the British authorities doing so.

Berliner

They can find out from the passenger locator form. If you put a Scottish address on it then you'll very quickly be contacted by NHS Scotland, by email or SMS, or both, as the details are passed on to them after you submit the form. I found this out when I came back from a trip overseas last month.

As for the need for a different test, that is purely just being different for the sake of it and I expect Scotland will fall in line soon. Despite their best efforts so far to deter it, international travel is bouncing back in Scotland..I have another trip away in a few weeks and by that time I expect the tests will have changed to be in line with England as it's practically impossible and unjustifiable to keep it different..

Butts

Veteran Member
They can find out from the passenger locator form. If you put a Scottish address on it then you'll very quickly be contacted by NHS Scotland, by email or SMS, or both, as the details are passed on to them after you submit the form. I found this out when I came back from a trip overseas last month.

As for the need for a different test, that is purely just being different for the sake of it and I expect Scotland will fall in line soon. Despite their best efforts so far to deter it, international travel is bouncing back in Scotland..I have another trip away in a few weeks and by that time I expect the tests will have changed to be in line with England as it's practically impossible and unjustifiable to keep it different..

So if I come in via England and take the required LF test that is likely to be the end of it.

I feel ripped of having paid £18 when I read of others paying less :E

Red Onion

I really think we are in for restrictions for the long haul here, especially given the extension of powers

Berliner

BBC News - Humza Yousaf: Scotland should not be forced into Covid easing

I wonder if bad election results in May would change the SNP's mind?

I doubt it as the results of a council election rarely translate to nationwide support due to the way council elections are balloted and counted. Councils have no power to do anything other than what the national government tells them to do when it comes to covid, so it'll make little difference if the SNP does well (which they will in terms of actual votes but won't in terms of councils controlled). If the SNP do badly with the votes they will likely end up with more councils under their power, the same way Labour and the Tories currently control councils on smaller vote shares than the SNP, so either way, it won't really make any difference as the people that make the decisions on covid aren't up for election for another 4 years. I think people can wish for it all they like, but these council elections will have very little impact on covid rules in Scotland.

I really think we are in for restrictions for the long haul here, especially given the extension of powers
Yes, this is likely. We will still have some form of restrictions into the summer, as they won't want to drop them as it'll be harder to bring them back in winter if they are totally scrapped before then.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I think we have to be realistic and put this into perspective. If none of the other UK nations are maintaining any restrictions and Scotland are (and it becomes clear Scotland is doing no better when it comes to the epidemiology) then they’ll have no choice but to scrap them.

I can see Scotland’s mask mandate lasting for quite some time to come yet sadly. I think vaccine passports will go before the masks (as a trade off, we can get rid of them IF we keep masks), and I can also see self isolation being retained for a while yet.

takno

Established Member
I suspect that the rate at which the rest of Europe is announcing the end of restrictions will drive Scotland in the end. They'll want to get the restrictions through to prove that they make "tough choices", and hold on a couple more weeks than England so they can get in their choice lines about "following the science", but they won't want to be an outlier in Europe.

fraser158

I note that the current domestic covid regulations in Scotland (The Health Protection (Coronavirus) (Requirements) (Scotland) Regulations 2021) expire on the 28th of February...

It seems that the choices available are:
1. Revoke them earlier -- not likely to happen.
2. Allow them to expire.
3. Amend the expiry date.
4. Replace them with a new set of regulations.

The Scottish regulations cover
1. The collecting of visitor information in certain premises.
2. Taking measures to minimise spread of covid on premises.
3. Face coverings.
4. Requirement for some venues to check covid status or proof of negative test.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I note that the current domestic covid regulations in Scotland (The Health Protection (Coronavirus) (Requirements) (Scotland) Regulations 2021) expire on the 28th of February...

It seems that the choices available are:
1. Revoke them earlier -- not likely to happen.
2. Allow them to expire.
3. Amend the expiry date.
4. Replace them with a new set of regulations.

The Scottish regulations cover
1. The collecting of visitor information in certain premises.
2. Taking measures to minimise spread of covid on premises.
3. Face coverings.
4. Requirement for some venues to check covid status or proof of negative test.
I’m almost certain it will be option 3 or 4. No way will Scotland be getting rid of restrictions quite that quickly!

I’ve heard through an internal contact at my Scottish school that the ending of the mask mandate after half term only applies to pupils and we (sadly) still must mask up in classrooms

ld0595

It seems more likely than not that they'll be extended for another six months. Apparently a new framework for 'living with covid' is due for publication next week so I'm preparing myself for more doom and gloom.

devon_metro

Established Member
It seems more likely than not that they'll be extended for another six months. Apparently a new framework for 'living with covid' is due for publication next week so I'm preparing myself for more doom and gloom.

The most disappointing thing for me is the lack of rebellion from people, particularly in settings where face masks are clearly absurd theatrics. There almost seems a snobbery about wearing masks - "we're better than the English". There's zero enforecement so the SNP could legislate all they like. It might be beneficial to send people south to England for a few days to remember what normality feels like!

Class 33

Established Member
Extended for another 6 months??!! Absolutely RIDICULOUS!! Talk about overkill!!! How can they possibly justify extending it that long now?

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Extended for another 6 months??!! Absolutely RIDICULOUS!! Talk about overkill!!! How can they possibly justify extending it that long now?
The mindset by a lot of Scots is very much against this, however the minority who are for it is VERY vocal and sways the views and opinions of the government who think they are appeasing the majority with these mandates.

Sooner or later, they’ll have no choice but to lift them, or they’ll face very significant political backlash.

My prediction is they’ll propose next Tuesday (when announcing the plan to “live with covid”) is they’ll announce to keep the mandate for far longer than neccessary, but have to back down as they’ll be a complete outlier in Europe (and have no choice politically).

Of course, this will be announced “because the data allows us to”, rather than because of any political reason.

Last edited:

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Of course, this will be announced “because the data allows us to”, rather than because of any political reason.
I suspect this new data will arrive no later than late March or early April. Any proximity to the start of postal voting in the local elections will be purely coincidental, of course.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I suspect this new data will arrive no later than late March or early April. Any proximity to the start of postal voting in the local elections will be purely coincidental, of course.
Who could’ve guessed it!

VauxhallandI

Established Member
The most disappointing thing for me is the lack of rebellion from people, particularly in settings where face masks are clearly absurd theatrics. There almost seems a snobbery about wearing masks - "we're better than the English". There's zero enforecement so the SNP could legislate all they like. It might be beneficial to send people south to England for a few days to remember what normality feels like!
Yep I am. Very disappointed in my fellow countryman, I would never have guessed how gutless my fellow Scots would be.

I never thought I’d say I was happy to be in England, shameful situation.

takno

Established Member
It's only the powers that they are extending. There's zero enforcement, compliance is down to 80% at best in Edinburgh, and the majority of people absolutely seem to get that it's just independence theatre. If anything, bothering to wear a lanyard at this point is regarded as slightly odd in most places.

Talking to my parents, who are still wearing them because they assume they provide some level of protection, there are parts of England that are still as masky as here.

Personally I'd be pleased if they got rid of vaccine passports before early March, because I could do with getting a booster for international travel reasons, and I'd rather not contribute to their back-slapping and delusional assessment of how "successful" vaccine passports are.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
That is absolutely Sturgeon's tactics in my opinion.

However given the Republic of Ireland & Northern Ireland are getting rid of masks now, England ditched them 3 weeks ago, and even Wales will bin the mandate next month, that leaves Scotland an outlier.

And beyond the Home Nations, all sensible countries (e.g. Norway, Denmark etc) have also ditched masks, so I just can't see Sturgeon being able to use the "England is being reckless excuse" any longer, especially given cases have remained relatively high in Scotland yet cases decreased drastically in England since the mandate was lifted.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
What are our predictions for the 'long term strategy to live with covid' tomorrow?

Provided the masks go soon, I'll be happy!

D1024

What are our predictions for the 'long term strategy to live with covid' tomorrow?
I expect the "guidance" to self-isolate will continue for a while, ditto masks. Have to be different to England of course :rolleyes::rolleyes: There will also be a lot of huffing and puffing over ending free LFT's - Blackford was moaning about this yesterday. Well sorry, Health is a devolved matter - if the Scottish Govt want free tests to continue they can pay for it themselves .... After all that's what they would have to do as Independent country!

Failed Unit

Established Member
That is absolutely Sturgeon's tactics in my opinion.

However given the Republic of Ireland & Northern Ireland are getting rid of masks now, England ditched them 3 weeks ago, and even Wales will bin the mandate next month, that leaves Scotland an outlier.

And beyond the Home Nations, all sensible countries (e.g. Norway, Denmark etc) have also ditched masks, so I just can't see Sturgeon being able to use the "England is being reckless excuse" any longer, especially given cases have remained relatively high in Scotland yet cases decreased drastically in England since the mandate was lifted.
From my recent visit last week, most people I speak to have got the "England are reckless" hook line and sinker, when you show them that actually Scotland has a higher rate of Covid then England from the governments figures, they don't believe them.

The SNP know they can do as they like as independent supports will vote for them no matter what they do.

But I was glad to get back into England, wearing masks to walk 100m to a table is just pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.