• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Argyle Line March 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter0124

Established Member
When browsing Realtimetrains for next year, it appears that the Argyle Line could be closed from March 13th though do not know how long for.
The Hamilton Circle and Whifflet lines appear to terminate in Glasgow Central High Level with replacement buses running between Carmyle and Partick.

Looking at the departures at Newton, it appears that during the off peak: 1tph Larkhall-Glasgow Central services will run via Maxwell Park and 1tph Motherwell-Glasgow Central via Mount Florida, an extension of the Cathcart Circle services. There is also 1tph on the Whifflet line terminating at the High Level. During the morning and evening peak there are extras from the Hamilton Circle (and Cumbernauld) into Glasgow Central High Level with the penultimate stop being Cambuslang.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how long this is scheduled to last?

EDIT: Someone move to the appropriate sub-forum if necessary as I didn't really know where to post.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MadMac

I thought I’d read something a while ago about major track repairs, particularly around Glasgow Cross: it’s been a problem virtually since opening.

ld0595

I'm sure I read something here a few months back suggesting the line would be closed for two months for drainage repairs and potentially a refurbishment of Glasgow Central LL and Anderson.

waverley47

The line, having been built in 1979 on a relatively stretched budged, has been plagued with problems since reopening.

Track problems in the tunnel sections, catenary reaching the end of its life, and poor drainage in the section under Glasgow green all cause the occasional problem, so this blockade will go some way to alleviating some of the infrastructure issues. Full blockade as one line working is impossible; signalling and the tight tunnel both mean a full blockade is necessary.

There will be a similar blockade in the North Clyde tunnels in the coming years, and another set later this decade when a solution for the catenary replacment has been determined.

Strathclyder

Established Member
I'm sure I read something here a few months back suggesting the line would be closed for two months for drainage repairs and potentially a refurbishment of Glasgow Central LL and Anderson.
If this does indeed turn out to be the case - I have a nagging feeling in my gut that it isn't and that this blockade will be for infrastructure repairs/renewals only given the space constraints, but maybe that's just me - then not before time. By some margin two of the grottiest stations in the city centre. Anderston in particular has long been a utter disgrace; I'll concede that being situated right underneath a elevated motorway doesn't help at all with this.

The line, having been built in 1979 on a relatively stretched budged, has been plagued with problems since reopening.

Track problems in the tunnel sections, catenary reaching the end of its life, and poor drainage in the section under Glasgow green all cause the occasional problem, so this blockade will go some way to alleviating some of the infrastructure issues. Full blockade as one line working is impossible; signalling and the tight tunnel both mean a full blockade is necessary.

There will be a similar blockade in the North Clyde tunnels in the coming years, and another set later this decade when a solution for the catenary replacment has been determined.
Interesting, cheers for this. I always knew the Argyle Line project was done on something of a shoestring budget-wise (relatively speaking at least) and it has been showing for some time now (persistent drainage/flooding issues, near life-expired catenary etc). This blockade will go some way to remedy some of those issues you cite. Makes sense to tackle the Argyle Line tunnels first too tbh, as the North Clyde Line ones have always seemed (to me at least been in somewhat better condition despite being quite a bit older.

snookertam

Interesting approach to reduce the Glasgow Central to Hamilton service in this way for two months. I’d have thought maybe a 2tph Central HL to Larkhall via Cambuslang, in addition to extending the existing Newton via Kings Park services to Motherwell, might have been a better option.

Its not like Glasgow Central is short of capacity these days.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Looking at Cambuslang, it seems the Edinburgh services will be picking up stops to maintain at least 2tph into Glasgow.

Bit of a shambles, especially cutting the services like this. I agree with @snookertam on saying that the Larkhall service should run via Cambuslang.

However, didn’t Glasgow Central get a refurbishment relatively recently? It still looks fine. I’d rather they refurbished Argyle Street instead.

Peter0124

Established Member
I agree, I would hope those Cathcart Circle extensions are all 6 carriages! The North Electrics does get a slight increase in service, with 4tph from Springburn via Low Levels.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I agree, I would hope those Cathcart Circle extensions are all 6 carriages! The North Electrics does get a slight increase in service, with 4tph from Springburn via Low Levels.

Looks like the Edinburgh - Helensburgh services are picking up the Yoker stops too.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Would it have been possible for some trains to the Hamilton Loop to run from Dalmuir via Partick, Queen Street, Blairhill, then diverging onto the ex Caledonian via Coatbridge Central and Whifflet towards Motherwell?

I recall whenever there was engineering works on Sundays, trains were diverted this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.