• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldromans

I’m still struggling to see why ScotRail haven’t reintroduced catering when almost every other TOC has.

Surely the buffet on the HSTs could be operated safely as it only needs one member of staff?

Non-HST trains where a trolly is used is slightly trickier granted, but could a CrossCountry style of having it in a single location be adopted?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DB

You are of course completely missing the point anyway. The way Scotrail are carrying on is absolutely political - it is making a political point that things in Scotland are done differently to in England.

First doesn't necessarily mean correct.

So you think locking out a whole carriage is sensible and proportionate, then?

Last edited by a moderator:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I’m still struggling to see why ScotRail haven’t reintroduced catering when almost every other TOC has. Surely the buffet on the HST’s could be operated safely as it only needs one member of staff? Non-HST trains where a trolly is used is slightly trickier granted, but could a CrossCountry style of having it in a single location be adopted?
The reply I got from ScotRail strongly implied (though it was not explicit) that it is because of the current restrictions, as I outlined in my post on the previous page.

As I say, it may be rubbish but who else can one ask but the actual TOC in question.

The reply I had said that it would be 'reviewed when restrictions are at a reduced level', given there is little left bar the face covering and social distancing mandates that would suggest to me that that is what they are waiting for.

You can always try asking them yourself and seeing if you get a more straightforward and direct response.

Steven_G

I think the decisions had nothing to do with politicians, to suggest that it did is daft. They have more significant decisions to make.

I sugggest it was a Scotrail/Union decision in the same way no ticket checking gets done.

gingertom

Established Member
The reply I got from ScotRail strongly implied (though it was not explicit) that it is because of the current restrictions, as I outlined in my post on the previous page.

As I say, it may be rubbish but who else can one ask but the actual TOC in question.

The reply I had said that it would be 'reviewed when restrictions are at a reduced level', given there is little left bar the face covering and social distancing mandates that would suggest to me that that is what they are waiting for.

You can always try asking them yourself and seeing if you get a more straightforward and direct response.
well Scotland is now in level 0. Time to review.

Emaharg

Avanti, LNER & Cross Country are making a reasonable fist of offering catering on trains in Scotland, including alcohol complimentary and otherwise.

It can't be about restrictions preventing Scotrail from doing the same.

If Scotrail had gone with a TGS for HSTs then the staff could have sat in that. Its a shame the extra carriages also haven't been inserted for whatever reason that is, Calder maybe.

Steven_G

At QS and 1xHST just departed and two others arrived.

between 12:05 and 12:20

just an FYI to show them in service

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Another reminder that the topic of this thread is ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion.

If anybody wants to discuss anything else then feel free to start a new thread.

for speculation as to what the new "state owned" franchise might do with the HST project, please see this thread.

Last edited:

InvHst

Over a year late, how fitting as the final part of the HST shambles.

Hst shambles they haven't been that bad..... yes they have had some issues and teething problems but to call a shambles is completely over the top

mcmad

Hst shambles they haven't been that bad..... yes they have had some issues and teething problems but to call a shambles is completely over the top
Really? remind me again when the full fleet was supposed to have been in service by and we're still waiting on any 5 coach trains in service.

Shambles is being kind.

Steven_G

What’s the current issue with getting the 5th carriages in service?
We know there was the derailment but HST’s of >5 carriages ran ECML for years.
Doesn’t make sense. Yeah you could say we don’t need capacity just now but you can say the same about all the 6 car 385’s that run from Alloa to GQST

Established Member
Today the first two 5 coach sets have entered service between Edinburgh/Glasgow and Aberdeen.

43003 + Set HA11 + 43149
1A45 - 0727 Edinburgh - Aberdeen
1B24 - 1101 Aberdeen - Edinburgh
1A78 - 1530 Edinburgh - Aberdeen
1T44 - 1840 Aberdeen - Glasgow QS
1A95 - 2140 Glasgow QS - Aberdeen

43163 + Set HA10 + 43150
1T10 - 0738 Aberdeen - Glasgow QS
1A59 - 1041 Glasgow QS - Aberdeen
1T26 - 1350 Aberdeen - Glasgow QS
1A77 - 1639 Glasgow QS - Aberdeen
1B51 - 2011 Aberdeen - Edinburgh

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Today the first two 5 coach sets have entered service between Edinburgh/Glasgow and Aberdeen.

43003 + Set HA11 + 43149

43163 + Set HA10 + 43150
Excellent news.

I saw quite a few "Coach E"s parked up in Inverness when I was there a couple of weeks ago, so about time they ran in passenger service ;)

gingertom

Established Member
is the Cadder depot actually open for business now? If not, where are the 5 car sets being maintained? I'd imagine both Inverness and Aberdeen, being used to servicing 9 car sets for LNER could cope with this.

Established Member
is the Cadder depot actually open for business now? If not, where are the 5 car sets being maintained? I'd imagine both Inverness and Aberdeen, being used to servicing 9 car sets for LNER could cope with this.
Todays diagrams start end at Aberdeen/Haymarket (one at each).

gingertom

Established Member
Todays diagrams start end at Aberdeen/Haymarket (one at each).
Can Haymarket handle the servicing of 5-car sets? Suggestion earlier in the thread they couldn't. Was certainly stated that there were no facilities for servicing 5-car sets in the Central belt until Cadder opened.

fgwrich

Established Member

43003 + Set HA11 + 43149

43163 + Set HA10 + 43150
Great bit of news to hear, fingers crossed for a rapid but seamless introduction for the rest of them. Are all of the additional vehicles in Scotland now or are some still at Doncaster?

najaB

Veteran Member
Can Haymarket handle the servicing of 5-car sets? Suggestion earlier in the thread they couldn't. Was certainly stated that there were no facilities for servicing 5-car sets in the Central belt until Cadder opened.
I thought the problem wasn't that Haymarket can't service any 5-cars, just that they can't service anything like the total number in the fleet?

Devon Sunset

The problem is not servicing them it's stabling them. That's why they need Cadder operational before they can introduce the extra coaches into the rakes.

najaB

Veteran Member
Well they seem to have managed it today without having Cadder open.
As I noted above, servicing/stabling a small number (two) sets is doable at Haymarket and Aberdeen. Servicing/stabling 16 or 17 sets is a different matter altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.