• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

najaB

Veteran Member
From the original plan the power car plans were end-to-end bike storage, no access with intermediate stops.
Which does make sense operationally. Though I'd hazard a guess that they might choose to add one or two stations en-route as well if they are (a) full-time staffed; and (b) popular biking destinations. Transport would be terminus to biking station or biking station to terminus though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
Which does make sense operationally. Though I'd hazard a guess that they might choose to add one or two stations en-route as well if they are (a) full-time staffed; and (b) popular biking destinations. Transport would be terminus to biking station or biking station to terminus though.
Indeed, in this case I'm thinking of stations such as Aviemore - where the extra space provided by the van would allow bikes to be carried during the summer and Ski's during the winter.

Towers

Established Member
Are both the leading and trailing power cars always accommodated on the platform at all stations served? If there are any locations where either end is likely to be hanging off of the platform, that's obviously another significant consideration.

In FGW/GWR days, use of the (usually rear) power car for cycle storage was at the discretion of the guard, but generally only intended for end to end journeys due to the potential for delay minutes to rack up if the area was accessed at intermediate stops. Completely agree that there is zero chance of it being used by the punters; it'll be crew access only if it's used at all.

Are both the leading and trailing power cars always accommodated on the platform at all stations served? If there are any locations where either end is likely to be hanging off of the platform, that's obviously another significant consideration.

In FGW/GWR days, use of the (usually rear) power car for cycle storage was at the discretion of the guard, but generally only intended for end to end journeys due to the potential for delay minutes to rack up if the area was accessed at intermediate stops. Completely agree that there is zero chance of it being used by the punters; it'll be crew access only if it's used at all.

Both power cars can be accommodated at every station they normally serve except Invergowrie I think?

Steven_G

It’s not reasonable to expect power car access at each station. The guard needs to manage this and dwelling time will increase significantly. Whether that is loading a bike or unloading it.

I can understand why it was always proposed to be end points only.

I would think so apart from maybe Newtonmore, didn’t include that though as 2+5’s are only supposed to mainly be for Aberdeen - Edinburgh/Glasgow services

That's a shame if the Highland Mainline gets busier at certain times of year. Then again, nothing to stop SR putting our a 5 or 6 car DMU on some trains they're still down for like the busy 10xx from Inverness. May 2022 draft proposals on their website suggest a fair few services booked units still between Perth and Inverness (ironically more in one direction, southbound I think, than the other meaning there must be an uneven balance on the Elgin route too to ensure it balances overall).

Abc100

Does anyone know if a number of HST’s were damaged in the storm? Nearly half of Aberdeen HST services yesterday and today have been replaced by short formed DMU’s - quite a few 2 car 158’s on busy Aberdeen to Edinburgh and Glasgow routes yesterday for example. The scotrail site states “due to severe weather”

Established Member
Does anyone know if a number of HST’s were damaged in the storm? Nearly half of Aberdeen HST services yesterday and today have been replaced by short formed DMU’s - quite a few 2 car 158’s on busy Aberdeen to Edinburgh and Glasgow routes yesterday for example. The scotrail site states “due to severe weather”
There are 4 units on HST diagrams according to the gen I have seen on Facebook for today. Yesterday some sets didn't come out until the afternoon and over the weekend a number of sets were trapped in Aberdeen and Inverness which could explain some of the short forms.

Also set HA05 is now a 5 car set.

CJSwan

There were also quite a few sets stuck in the wrong places, so I guess they’ll take a day or two to get slotted back into the right diagrams. Control have to watch space in various depots for over night stabling, especially as there are other trains that’ll be taking up space following storm damage and some breakdowns/failures yesterday.

InvHst

Inverness had 5 trapped hst sets which as others have said needs a few days to balance back out

Gordonman

Eh,if it finished in Cadder yard on Saturday then why/how is it running from Inverness - Cadder today?

It will probably be a recently formed 5 car set (HA06?)

Eh,if it finished in Cadder yard on Saturday then why/how is it running from Inverness - Cadder today?

It will probably be a recently formed 5 car set (HA06?)
Think I heard somewhere it was 5 additional coaches that have been in store at Inverness to upgrade more sets.

On Moderation
Think I heard somewhere it was 5 additional coaches that have been in store at Inverness to upgrade more sets.
In total there’s 17 additional TS vehicles to go into 4-car sets. Whether all 17 get done now remains to be seen.

In total there’s 17 additional TS vehicles to go into 4-car sets. Whether all 17 get done now remains to be seen.
Think they have all been delivered. Though they probably will upgrade a set that was meant to stay at 4 cars. With the set written off.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Think they have all been delivered. Though they probably will upgrade a set that was meant to stay at 4 cars. With the set written off.
Yes, all 17 delivered by last month.

scot-rail lists four sets as 2+5 (HA05, 06, 10 & 11) plus one 2+5 test set (HA12).

najaB

Veteran Member
Although Cadder is currently being used to stable an odd HST set the depot is far from finished and has not been opened as an operational depot yet. It's a space issue at other depots.
I was wondering why the odd HST set was ending up in the Dundee carriage sidings.

InOban

Established Member
Although Cadder is currently being used to stable an odd HST set the depot is far from finished and has not been opened as an operational depot yet. It's a space issue at other depots.
Finished or not, scotrail are tweeting that it opens this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.