• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail HST Introduction - Updates & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgwrich

Established Member
While the timing load is of course not an accurate indicator, it does say 90mph Sprinter rather than the usual "diesel locomotive, trailing xxx tonnes" which the HSTs usually get described with

That and Crewe hasn't had anything to do with the HST Fleet so far. I am intrigued as to what it could be though - are ScotRail losing anymore DMU's to Northern etc?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Spirit555

While the timing load is of course not an accurate indicator, it does say 90mph Sprinter rather than the usual "diesel locomotive, trailing xxx tonnes" which the HSTs usually get described with
This will be a 170 unit as 170426 working back to Haymarket tonight. Crewe LNWR has a contract for work on Scotrail 170's

Mark

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

Actually, that is still nothing to go by. I've seen Loco Hauled for DMU and vice versa for Specials which can come about through having no Timing Load available in the system if off a regular route so the Planners have to use whatever is available.

najaB

Veteran Member
Actually, that is still nothing to go by. I've seen Loco Hauled for DMU and vice versa for Specials which can come about through having no Timing Load available in the system if off a regular route so the Planners have to use whatever is available.
While we all know that the timing loads displayed in sources like RTT can be way off, on the balance of probabilities a path timed for a sprinter is more likely to be a sprinter than loco hauled because of the higher speed limits for units (where there are differential limits, of course).

Spirit555

Not sure what work is being carried out on them. Maybe someone in the know could confirm that.

Mark

hexagon789

Veteran Member
That and Crewe hasn't had anything to do with the HST Fleet so far. I am intrigued as to what it could be though - are ScotRail losing anymore DMU's to Northern etc?
Refurb/maintenance work would've been my guess, as confirmed by Spirit555

This will be a 170 unit as 170426 working back to Haymarket tonight. Crewe LNWR has a contract for work on Scotrail 170's

Mark
Cheers, though seems a bit daft to go all the way down to Crewe.

Which is why I said it's not an accurate indicator, but it is more likely on balance

3973EXL

Established Member
5S01 shunting from Wabtec to the DG

Dep DG 1045 North

Last edited:

InOban

Established Member
It avoided York raikcam by using the avoiding line!

I'm sure that there will be a few spotters to catch a glimpse of a 2+8 HST set in Waverley and haymarket.

On Moderation
It avoided York raikcam by using the avoiding line!

I'm sure that there will be a few spotters to catch a glimpse of a 2+8 HST set in Waverley and haymarket.
It’s only the second 2+8 set through Doncaster in the last 7 days though!

Speed43125

That's certainly a good sign, I look forward to seeing more clips of the move soon too.

Any idea when we might see a 2+5 in service?

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
That's certainly a good sign, I look forward to seeing more clips of the move soon too.

Any idea when we might see a 2+5 in service?
Certainly looks good, if all goes to plan I’d say the May timetable change is probably a good shout. Wouldn’t expect to see them in bulk from then though, this set is being used for the planning/training I think with the other three coaches I’m not expecting too much to happen with them just yet.

On Moderation
Certainly looks good, if all goes to plan I’d say the May timetable change is probably a good shout. Wouldn’t expect to see them in bulk from then though, this set is being used for the planning/training I think with the other three coaches I’m not expecting too much to happen with them just yet.
What exactly is there to plan/train? It’s an HST where the extra trailer is the same as another trailer in the set. We’ve had adding and removing of trailers to HST sets for over 40 years, it really isn’t some new fangled idea.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
What exactly is there to plan/train? It’s an HST where the extra trailer is the same as another trailer in the set. We’ve had adding and removing of trailers to HST sets for over 40 years, it really isn’t some new fangled idea.
I know but this is a modern world where safety is paramount. Stop markers possibly if they haven’t been done among others, plus crews may have new dispatch processes to learn (even if they are just slightly different). May timetable is only less than 3 months away.

Status
Not open for further replies.