• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

theironroad

Established Member
Not sure what's happening elsewhere but here is what's going on at my depot:

No DIs have resigned their posts.
Each DI has ONE trainee allocated.
They have formed a bubble and do not mix with anyone else ie:

They agree a time and place to meet for the first duty of the day. That may not be the booking on point but a depot. They book on remotely by phone from that point.
They complete the first part of the duty together, wearing masks etc as required.
They then take their PNB together, in a room or office away from everyone else. They're not permitted to enter a bothy or use vending machines etc.
They are not permitted to travel "pass"
They complete the shift and book off wherever they finish.

It's working well. Not sure why there's an issue elsewhere, particularly the North Clyde.

Wow, that's a pretty stringent regime compared to what SWR have going which is more of a free for all except being in bubble in the cab and daily temperature taking.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SD_83

Not sure what's happening elsewhere but here is what's going on at my depot:

No DIs have resigned their posts.
Each DI has ONE trainee allocated.
They have formed a bubble and do not mix with anyone else ie:

They agree a time and place to meet for the first duty of the day. That may not be the booking on point but a depot. They book on remotely by phone from that point.
They complete the first part of the duty together, wearing masks etc as required.
They then take their PNB together, in a room or office away from everyone else.
Temperature checks are undertaken at a suitable opportunity.
They're not permitted to enter a bothy or use vending machines etc.
They are not permitted to travel "pass"
They complete the shift and book off wherever they finish.

It's working well. Not sure why there's an issue elsewhere, particularly the North Clyde.

What area is that? No sure what the issue in North Clyde, but its starting to make myself and a few others anxious that if this carrys on much longer where will it leave us.

Driver1122

I understand that mate I just hope they dont start paying us off due to no DI willing to train us.
it’s going to be a long time, but your not going to get paid off. There is zero redundancies, new ema in February? This is expected to have none.... for driving anyway.
they have just took new drivers on, in what world do you hire drivers and pay ones off ? The new drivers have not even started yet. There Still interviewing for more. Why pay you off ? They would furlough you if that was even a thought.

I’ve heard the west is going to be really slow, Just chill.

The school is open! People are in it. More are joining the company.

Last edited:

SD_83

it’s going to be a long time, but your not going to get paid off. There is zero redundancies, new ema in February? This is expected to have none.... for driving anyway.
they have just took new drivers on, in what world do you hire drivers and pay ones off ? The new drivers have not even started yet. There Still interviewing for more. Why pay you off ? They would furlough you if that was even a thought.

I’ve heard the west is going to be really slow, Just chill.

The school is open! People are in it. More are joining the company.

Cheers for the boost, somedays you just ask yourself the question and cant help feeling negative.
Whats EMA stand for?

Driver1122

Cheers for the boost, somedays you just ask yourself the question and cant help feeling negative.
Whats EMA stand for?

If it was doom and gloom I’d tell you. It’s emergency funding. Sitting in the house for ages, I’m sure it all plays over. just ask yourself why would they hire more ? Your thinking too short a time line, think long term. When this comes out in February I’m sure it will be long term funding. I will post the details. Going from the last aslef chat they were sure drivers were not going to have redundences.
if you want to stay positive don’t come on here, people love to scare people. Look up a few comments there is people over the moon at getting a job.

SD_83

If it was doom and gloom I’d tell you. It’s emergency funding. Sitting in the house for ages, I’m sure it all plays over. just ask yourself why would they hire more ? Your thinking too short a time line, think long term. When this comes out in February I’m sure it will be long term funding. I will post the details. Going from the last aslef chat they were sure drivers were not going to have redundences.
if you want to stay positive don’t come on here, people love to scare people. Look up a few comments there is people over the moon at getting a job.

Appreciate that info, think its the silence that adds to it we rarely receive any updates, then I was told about this forum, and I already feel more at ease.

Which, if nothing else, proves the bubble system works as both are now presumably off self isolating and not infecting others

If anything, I think it will make it even more difficult to get DIs back in cabs with trainees.

kickin aff

Which, if nothing else, proves the bubble system works as both are now presumably off self isolating and not infecting others

That's exactly how I see it. For me the system gives some piece of mind as without it, there was a chance neither knew that had it and could of passed it with dire consequences.

If this is the case, hope both are well.

SD_83

That's exactly how I see it. For me the system gives some piece of mind as without it, there was a chance neither knew that had it and could of passed it with dire consequences.

If this is the case, hope both are well.

Thats how I would also see it, for us to return we must’ve have given a negative test followed by 2 other weekly negative tests. How many qualified drivers are out on the network handing trains over who haven’t been tested? Were at the very least we will have done a test so we enter the bubble on a clean bill of health.

Thats just how I see it, I may be overlooking things.

lammergeier

If anything, I think it will make it even more difficult to get DIs back in cabs with trainees.
You're assuming one gave Covid to the other. It could just as easily have been both caught it from the same cab or from the same person or in the same messroom/bothy. There may well be other staff who are Asymptomatic who caught it from the same place who are now spreading it round unwittingly.

Liverpool is currently trialing
Asymptomatic testing as a way of finding and isolating the virus, Slovakia has recently done the same. If more railstaff were in training bubbles and having weekly tests then the other staff would be safer. Plus they themselves can be confident that if they do contract it then they can avoid passing it on.

hiall

It is up to each individual if they want to resume training. It doesn't matter what goes on in other bubbles. The training and protocols in place have not changed. There will be numerous setbacks but it won't stop training.

Fwiw I got told there will be no redundancy actions taking place in the driver grade and no trainee will be laid off. They actually need more going forward next year in 2021 as they are so short. This came from a more than qualified source at the heart of things. It must be stressed that said person did say things will be majorly delayed but we know that.

Also heard dis who are on temp contracts will be asked to take trainees out by January latest and if they can't do it for whatever reason, they will lose their Di role.

D.Driver

Apparently a Bathgate DI and trainee have both tested positive for COVID.
Just to add to this story, the trainee was a false positive test and was re tested using nhs track and trace which is what’s meant to happen, and the di never tested positive once but went for an additional test using the nhs as well again negative. They are off because of the training bubble protocols that were agreed and this protects people if anything. Don’t think this undermines the training bubble set up in anyway and shows that it’s getting done properly and the company takes it serious in the expense of having a driver off.

Gedphones

So, any other trainees back? Looks like a seriously long road ahead for some dependent on what depot your from.

golfingdaddy

Same here. I reckon there will be folk passing out before me who started a year after.
DTM's have said that driver training will be run in chronological order at my depot, so there should be no 'queue jumping'.
But it looks like I'll be more than 2 years in before I qualify.

Kuksoolgirl

Oh here we go again.....
Perhaps we could keep this thread for what it was intended for and those who only want to partake in childish nonsense please feel free to start another thread.....tbh I wouldn't fancy being a passenger on a train driven by some of the aggressive posters on here .....that's a worry!!!!

the sniper

Established Member

Meanwhile, the untested masses in the messrooms and corridors pass Covid about unaware, gassing to each other about the DI who (seemingly hasn't) got himself Covid... :lol:

hiall

Meanwhile, the untested masses in the messrooms and corridors pass Covid about unaware, gassing to each other about the DI who (seemingly hasn't) got himself Covid... :lol:
Hasn't made a difference and they never actually had it according to Di. There are a few dis at Yoker back as well as Bathgate. Here's hoping the rest of them get their big boy pants on and GET the trainees out.

Anyone on temp Di contracts should be given an ultimatum to do it or lose their role IMO.

kickin aff

So training to cease again if local authority in level 4.

School to stop again for now.

Last edited:

Nov632

Hi, I'm looking to sell these compact discs and test books if anyone is interested. I've written in the train driver tests book with pencil and rubbed it out so it can still be used. All other items are practically brand new. I'm looking for £45 for all items. They cost me just over £100 last year. I'm currently a trainee driver at Scotrail and they really helped me practice for the recruitment process.

SOLD

Attachments

• 20201201_122654.jpg
    20201201_122654.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 47
Last edited:

pendy12

Good luck to everyone starting next week. Its been a strange time to be going through a recruitment process. I look forward to meeting everyone.

Gedphones

Hi, I'm looking to sell these compact discs and test books if anyone is interested. I've written in the train driver tests book with pencil and rubbed it out so it can still be used. All other items are practically brand new. I'm looking for £45 for all items. They cost me just over £100 last year. I'm currently a trainee driver at Scotrail and they really helped me practice for the recruitment process.

SOLD
If anyone on this thread is going through the application process this will really help. The CD roms especially. Gives a good idea of what you will face when getting to the end of the process.

If anyone on this thread is going through the application process this will really help. The CD roms especially. Gives a good idea of what you will face when getting to the end of the process.
Already sold I see....