• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

Gedphones

Does anyone know if Scotrail are recruiting drivers anytime soon and if so will the positions be advertised externally?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Duffman76

On Moderation
Does anyone know if Scotrail are recruiting drivers anytime soon and if so will the positions be advertised externally?

I'd like to know the answer to this one too!!
This Covid malarkey has messed up everything it seems!

5thrail

I would consider the fact that over 170 trainees have been at home for most of the past year. There are fewer instructors available and no doubling up allowed due to training bubbles

The majority of trainees are having to go back to the training school for refreshers.

Add to the fact the trains are substantially quieter than in old times, leading to reduced services.

I can't imagine any further recruitment taking place for a while, until they have managed somehow to get the current group through.

Just gonna have to give it time I think. Good luck

I would doubt it buddy. There’s loads of us still at home and a few of my friends were only at the interview stages

Gedphones

I just heard a rumour that the powers that be are looking for another tranche of drivers to be starting in August. It's not for myself as I'm out with a DI now. I know someone who is looking for a change of career and in my eyes would be an ideal candidate.

kmck96

Oh really? that's interesting. Wonder if the they will be using existing talent pool or advertising externally for the roles. Also wonder where for. Do you know anything else?

MT18

I just heard a rumour that the powers that be are looking for another tranche of drivers to be starting in August. It's not for myself as I'm out with a DI now. I know someone who is looking for a change of career and in my eyes would be an ideal candidate.
Well hopefully they return to existing candidate, would love to progress with my application.

Duffman76

On Moderation

I heard that was just a 'rumour'
though.
I heard there's no plans at all to start any trainee driver recruitment till the current backlog is addressed.
Covid really has put a spanner in the works!!

pendy12

I heard that was just a 'rumour'
though.
I heard there's no plans at all to start any trainee driver recruitment till the current backlog is addressed.
Covid really has put a spanner in the works!!
The fact they are contacting those already in the process suggest they are about to restart.

Duffman76

On Moderation
The fact they are contacting those already in the process suggest they are about to restart.

You think?

I hope you're correct.

But it just suggests to me, what I've already suggested, in my previous post.

There's quite a backlog to expire first, before any new recruitment is taken on.

That could be a long time.

kickin aff

My understanding is that there would be no new process this year but they would continue with ones already in the process from the pre covid era.

jimmyshaker

Jimmyshaker do you mind me asking what stage you're at? I was in reserve pool after initial tests and interview when covid 'struck'
I have done the first day at Scotrail in Glasgow - Group Bourdon, etc - and am now nervously waiting on the interview I've been told to get ready for, which is later in the month.

Any advice on that is most welcome.

Gedphones

I have done the first day at Scotrail in Glasgow - Group Bourdon, etc - and am now nervously waiting on the interview I've been told to get ready for, which is later in the month.

Any advice on that is most welcome.
They want to see how safety conscious you are so any examples you can provide will be beneficial. Also, communication. How would you know any message being passed to signaller or vice versa has been understood? Repeat it back. Also they may question you on something you have said in the interview. Don't back down if what you have said makes sense. I said I would never violate a rule ie, break a speed limit to try and get a train which was running late back on time. The interviewer said a good train driver would never be late. With respect I said that's not possible as any number of issues can affect the timings of trains. Anyway, he kept pushing the line about good drivers never being late. I just kept saying no, that's obviously not correct and we moved on. Anyway, good luck.

Pcb1980

Cheers gedphones, I also was going on the safety approach

Has anyone had the dmi this week?
Would be fantastic if I could get a heads up of the questions, please and thank you

Last edited:

Pcb1980

I don't think you'll get much help from anyone who's been this week given that they could potentially help you beat them to a position.

I don't think you'll get much help from anyone who's been this week given that they could potentially help you beat them to a position.

Good point

MT18

Anyone who passed the first assessment in February 20 heard anything yet?

MT18

Any news on when interviews and the recruitment will proceed guys?
I emailed last month and received ‘no movement at the moment, if there’s any change in regards to my application they will be back in touch.’

Not looking good, kinda losing hope.

mitchellini58

I emailed last month and received ‘no movement at the moment, if there’s any change in regards to my application they will be back in touch.’

Not looking good, kinda losing hope.
Thanks for letting me know, yeah just checking I was told similar, stay positive!

Ginzo

Hello, first time poster here and looking for a small bit of advice. I have my 2nd part assessment coming up shortly and I was wondering how long the images roughly show on the Avavt Perception Test? I've had a look on the forums and seen times ranging from 0.5 seconds to 2 seconds being mentioned . Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

BRM_storm

When I did it I’d say 0.5 seconds is more accurate - I’ve no idea if the timing varies but I just remember when the first one appeared and then disappeared my first thought was oh! It seems ridiculously quick on the day but I managed through it ok. Good luck.