• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

kickin aff

I dont know exactly. But when I researched it for my interview 2 years ago, it was around 2400 services a day at that time, I think that was what it was anyway.

I'm sure someone will be better placed to correct me.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Do you happen to know how many services a day SR ran pre covid?

Scotrail run 2000 services per day.

Current passenger numbers are around 23% of pre Covid levels and decreasing.

According to aslef “unless more people travel the current service level is unsustainable”.

hiall

This potential move to cut services is not surprising and makes sense if it happens as I have said in previous post. Less services, less demand for drivers.

I don't think it will impact the current trainees at all but as I said before future employment for externals have virtually no chance for years IMO and any driver jobs that do come up in the future should go internal.

Driver1122

Does anyone know if the contract of employment is signed digitally or if its a return via post?
I think, you take it with you on your 1st day. have they gave you word yet mate ?

I know classes return to the school on Monday.

This potential move to cut services is not surprising and makes sense if it happens as I have said in previous post. Less services, less demand for drivers.

I don't think it will impact the current trainees at all but as I said before future employment for externals have virtually no chance for years IMO and any driver jobs that do come up in the future should go internal.

Agree with the top part.

Bottom im not sure, I think the world will return to normal quickly. Scotrail is old in the driving grade as you know. Trains will return 100%, just depends but your correct may take 3/4 years for hiring.

I do think people now who have had medicals etc will get a start.

Last edited:

Chris_SSBN05

Yep, makes sense to do it now over the winter timetable change. Scotrail are managing demand right now by RDW which aint healthy long term (apart from bank balances...!) There will be a demand for new drivers, though as we've been told the requirement is around 300. I'd disagree that in the future they should all be internal though. Whilst the company and route knowledge will be an advantage, the best candidate scores should go through . If this means that 100% of that intake is external, or if it means 100% is internal, then so be it. Just my thoughts

lammergeier

Yep, makes sense to do it now over the winter timetable change. Scotrail are managing demand right now by RDW which aint healthy long term (apart from bank balances...!) There will be a demand for new drivers, though as we've been told the requirement is around 300. I'd disagree that in the future they should all be internal though. Whilst the company and route knowledge will be an advantage, the best candidate scores should go through . If this means that 100% of that intake is external, or if it means 100% is internal, then so be it. Just my thoughts

Company or traction knowledge is largely irrelevant when it comes to trainee driver recruitment. I think the main driver of internal recruiting, particularly during periods of sparse recruitment, is that morally it's right to allow those who have worked hard for the company in lower paying roles to progress. It also helps with industrial relations and we've seen it time and time again - the first courses after a drought are usually (but not always) internal only.

hiall

The 300 would of been before covid. I was shouted down few month back for saying tocs will dramatically change and change for good and that is the way it is heading. The next few months will be uncertain to say the least and it is worrying for every employee.
Company or traction knowledge is largely irrelevant when it comes to trainee driver recruitment. I think the main driver of internal recruiting, particularly during periods of sparse recruitment, is that morally it's right to allow those who have worked hard for the company in lower paying roles to progress. It also helps with industrial relations and we've seen it time and time again - the first courses after a drought are usually (but not always) internal only.

This is what will happen. If services are being cut and demand for drivers day to day reduced then they have plenty of trainees to cover internal moves, retirements etc for the foreseeable.

The 300 would of been before covid. I was shouted down few month back for saying tocs will dramatically change and change for good and that is the way it is heading. The next few months will be uncertain to say the least and it is worrying for every employee.

This is what will happen. If services are being cut and demand for drivers day to day reduced then they have plenty of trainees to cover internal moves, retirements etc for the foreseeable.

Did you know that the guys that moved into the training school last year on a secondment to cover the training are going back to their depots as drivers starting from Monday?

kickin aff

Did you know that the guys that moved into the training school last year on a secondment to cover the training are going back to their depots as drivers starting from Monday?
If that's the case then there is certainly a change in policy. Previous it was get X amount of trainees through the school by the end of this year, early next year.

Things are changing and nothing is certain.

Driver1122

I can clear this up for you, two of them in the school are close friends of mine.

They were offered to apply for there jobs instead of secondment and get contracts as trainers. Some did and some chose to go back before covid. There’s 2 I think who were fairly new ? They are going back due to shortages and the school will move at a slower pace.

The school opens back next week, classes are back and running. That is a fact.

They will need more traction trainers than ever before as it’s 2-1 ratio for traction.

Last edited:

Chris_SSBN05

That was Scotrail saying this week that they need 300, possibly planning for better days when people start using trains again. That's not gonna happen any time soon, but neither is the current situation. We won't be going in and out of lockdowns for the next few years, that's for sure. There's a massive void in trained drivers being covered by RDW at the mo. Maybe not at every depot, but certainly at more than a few. These bad times will not last forever.

Driver1122

If that's the case then there is certainly a change in policy. Previous it was get X amount of trainees through the school by the end of this year, early next year.

Things are changing and nothing is certain.

There numbers will change as your not able to get trainees through due to DIs the company have.

I can almost guarantee your job will be safe. They are short of drivers, your hired for the future not for tomorrow.

If world does not return to normal, your out a job for sure. At that point, it will be the least of your worries.

That was Scotrail saying this week that they need 300, possibly planning for better days when people start using trains again. That's not gonna happen any time soon, but neither is the current situation. We won't be going in and out of lockdowns for the next few years, that's for sure. There's a massive void in trained drivers being covered by RDW at the mo. Maybe not at every depot, but certainly at more than a few. These bad times will not last forever.

yeah spot on.

The 300 more, were did you get that info ?

Chris_SSBN05

There numbers will change as your not able to get trainees through due to DIs the company have.

I can almost guarantee your job will be safe. They are short of drivers, your hired for the future not for tomorrow.

If world does not return to normal, your out a job for sure. At that point, it will be the least of your worries.

yeah spot on.

The 300 more, were did you get that info ?
From our trainer.

Driver1122

From our trainer.

Im not sure the numbers 100% spot on, that number was there in 2019. No way they need another 300. Maybe however!!

however I confident your job will be good! And I think they’ll hire a few more also. Edinburgh has a Large recruitment I’m told.

Chris_SSBN05

Im not sure the numbers 100% spot on, that number was there in 2019. No way they need another 300. Maybe however!!

however I confident your job will be good! And I think they’ll hire a few more also. Edinburgh has a Large recruitment I’m told.
Thanks. I just wanna be back driving...but that's very much out of my hands as we know.

I can clear this up for you, two of them in the school are close friends of mine.

They were offered to apply for there jobs instead of secondment and get contracts as trainers. Some did and some chose to go back before covid. There’s 2 I think who were fairly new ? They are going back due to shortages and the school will move at a slower pace.

The school opens back next week, classes are back and running. That is a fact.

They will need more traction trainers than ever before as it’s 2-1 ratio for traction.

Maybe they’ll go back when things return to normal.

Motherwell has something like 25 drivers off sick or shielding and there must be another 10 off in the north Clyde after suicides and thats not including general sickness rates either.

Driver1122

Maybe they’ll go back when things return to normal.

Motherwell has something like 25 drivers off sick or shielding and there must be another 10 off in the north Clyde after suicides and thats not including general sickness rates either.

yeah I think your correct, I think the winter months your already short in a good year.

hiall

Any news, updates? Heard there is a class back in the training school which is good news. Not sure if it is the case or not.

Driver1122

Yes there are two. New courses for new starts apparently December. I know for a fact some have been told they’ll be given a date soon; More interviews this week internally.

BC25

Yes there are two. New courses for new starts apparently December. I know for a fact some have been told they’ll be given a date soon; More interviews this week internally.

Do you know when the dates are in December?

Driver1122

Nope no idea, that was from guys in the school. There expecting new courses then.
hopefully in the nextweek or two you’ll hear boys getting a start.

Pcb1980

Hey there everybody,
Has anyone who passed the psychometric on February down at atrium court heard anything about manager interviews or had any correspondence from HR?
Cheers