• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail - Trainee Train Driver - Kyle of Lochalsh (22/07/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Karmel

New vacancy for a position of Trainee Train Driver showed up for ScotRail in Kyle of Lochalsh today. Closing date 05/08/2021.

Job reference: SYS-7227

TRAINEE TRAIN DRIVER

ScotRail has played a critical role in keeping people moving during the pandemic, with services helping get key workers and others to where they need to be. There has been significant investment across the network to electrify lines, and on new and upgraded trains. This helped to deliver ScotRail’s highest ever score for customer satisfaction in the most recent National Rail Passenger Survey. With more than 5,000 employees, we are looking for people who are focussed on our customers, to continue delivering the best possible service for people throughout the country.

We are seeking a trainee train driver. This is an exciting chance to embark on a new and interesting career with great prospects and benefits.

Our train drivers are excellent communicators who are passionate about customer service and are able to stay calm and alert whilst working under pressure. Drivers have a leading role in ensuring the safety of customers and colleagues.

Varying circumstances, for example; weather, foliage, gradients and environment can alter how a driver will negotiate the track. It is therefore essential that a driver is familiar with the route and has a logical mind in order to anticipate changes required. On some trains it is necessary to make announcements to passengers and open and close doors by remote control. A good communicator, you will liaise with other rail staff and on occasion, provide written incident reports.

Experience working in an equally responsible role where safety is paramount is essential.

Enthusiasm, a positive approach and an ability to stay focused is as important as good problem solving. A flexible approach is vital as shift and weekend working will be required. Ideally you will hold a current driving licence.

Shift times will vary between early and late, including weekend working. The post covers a 35-hour week. Due to the extremities of the shift pattern you will be required to live within a maximum 45-minute drive from Kyle.

For trainee train drivers - during the first year of intensive training the reference salary is £29,259 per annum. As a newly qualified driver the reference salary will be £40,672, after 6 months £43,438 and after 9 months £46,652. On successful completion of all training and probation the reference salary is £51,500 per annum.

The first year, will be spent on the driver training programme. This will include induction training, first aid, fire safety, front cab experience, driver rules and route learning. Training will continue until you have a satisfactory final assessment and you take over the full duties of the post. Due to the nature of the training programme we are unable to guarantee any annual leave during the first 12 months of employment.

As this is a safety critical post with rail industry safety requirements, there are certain medical and fitness standards that must be reached for the role of train driver.

ScotRail is a strong promotor of diversity in rail and particularly welcomes applicants from members of minority groups

Benefits include contributory final salary pension scheme, free and reduced rail travel for you and your family, where applicable.

Selection process: Short-listed candidates will be invited to two separate assessment days in Glasgow and a further day for interview. You may be asked to attend these days at short notice. The final stage for successful candidates will be a medical examination and drugs/alcohol screening. Appointees will be asked to submit at least two satisfactory references, Disclosure Scotland clearance and complete a six-month probation period.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Edit: 24th July, 23:55

Just found this Twitter post by ScotRail which suggests you may relocate for this position.

Anyone is welcome to apply Gavin as long as they can fulfill the role if successful. ^Paul

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NorthernTech

Cracking part of the world to drive a train. Unfortunately I’m slightly out of range....it would take a whole shift just to get there! Great opportunity for someone!

*just noticed the edit regarding the relocation. Not sure my partner would be up for moving us all, but I may drop it in the conversation later 8-)

T-Karmel

Cracking part of the world to drive a train. Unfortunately I’m slightly out of range....it would take a whole shift just to get there! Great opportunity for someone!

*just noticed the edit regarding the relocation. Not sure my partner would be up for moving us all, but I may drop it in the conversation later 8-)
Give it a go to ask them, but also remember you can apply now and withdraw application at any point you like.
If they reject your application straight away, you won't have to bother asking your partner. If you'll be invited to the next stage, you might ask them then ;)

Highlandspring

Established Member

Bear in mind the the housing market in these very rural areas of Scotland isn’t very large and by moving up from the south and therefore having the capital to pay way over the asking price for a house you’re potentially depriving a young person born and raised in the area not just of the chance of a well paid and secure job but also the chance of getting on the housing ladder and staying where they grew up.

This is probably not a very popular opinion on this forum but the dire lack of opportunities and housing locally is why young people are forced to leave these communities so when a job like this comes up personally I feel it should go to someone locally. Basically if you don’t want to work in a hotel or fish farm and live with your parents till you’re 40 then hi-ho it’s off to the Central Belt you go; a modern day Highland clearance. But that’s just my opinion!

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
I agree with @Highlandspring, besides, someone from away might not like living up there and soon flee back to London or wherever.

I live in a "small" town, but living in Kyle would be a quite different situation, unfamiliar to most people.

T-Karmel

someone from away might not like living up there and soon flee back to London or wherever.
Managers wouldn't choose someone from such a diffrent place for that job I suppose.

Someone living 2h drive away from Kyle would still need to relocate but you would believe them they should accommodate quite easily.

Highlandspring

Established Member
I agree with @Highlandspring, besides, someone from away might not like living up there and soon flee back to London or wherever.

I live in a "small" town, but living in Kyle would be a quite different situation, unfamiliar to most people.
I think people see places like this for a week when they’re on holiday, with the sun shining down and no responsibilities and they decide it’d be ‘nice’ to work there based on that

Away from the tourist season it’s a long, dark, cold winter and I doubt anyone applying from down south would give much consideration to the actual reality of booking on for the 0611 to Inverness in January with a storm raging, not knowing if you’re going to hit a tree and get stuck at Attadale for a few hours till the off track team get out with chainsaws.

Even if you’re rest day instead there’s sod all to do in the winter!

Gloster

Established Member
And the sheer practical difficulties of living that are hardly even considered in other parts of the country: doctors, dentists or hospital appointments; shopping for anything (where are you going to get the paint to redecorate the front room?), getting your car repaired, etc. The problems can be overcome, but not by a quick ten minute drive in the car. Everything will have to be ordered or carefully noted for your next trip to Portree or Inverness.

NorthernTech

Agree with the above, too far and probably a bit of a culture shock, although I’m not from a big city anyway. I’m sure there will be locals available to apply. Good luck to those going for it.

John Bishop

Bear in mind the the housing market in these very rural areas of Scotland isn’t very large and by moving up from the south and therefore having the capital to pay way over the asking price for a house you’re potentially depriving a young person born and raised in the area not just of the chance of a well paid and secure job but also the chance of getting on the housing ladder and staying where they grew up.

This is probably not a very popular opinion on this forum but the dire lack of opportunities and housing locally is why young people are forced to leave these communities so when a job like this comes up personally I feel it should go to someone locally. Basically if you don’t want to work in a hotel or fish farm and live with your parents till you’re 40 then hi-ho it’s off to the Central Belt you go; a modern day Highland clearance. But that’s just my opinion!
Totally agree with this. Great opportunity for a local.

route101

Established Member
Interesting, I guess they may get internal applicants from Inverness. I suppose its a much better paying job for a young local person.

Rab Smith

And the sheer practical difficulties of living that are hardly even considered in other parts of the country: doctors, dentists or hospital appointments; shopping for anything (where are you going to get the paint to redecorate the front room?), getting your car repaired, etc. The problems can be overcome, but not by a quick ten minute drive in the car. Everything will have to be ordered or carefully noted for your next trip to Portree or Inverness.
There is a far greater chance for you to see a Doctor or Dentist in Kyle and get a Hospital appointment in nearby Broadford than in any City in the UK. As for paint or car repairs, there are several places to get both! Granted, there aren't the big retail parks, multiplex Cinemas or fast food chains but that in my opinion, is a bonus.
It's a lovely area to live in but there is one thing I will agree on, it can be a long winter. I know, I used to live near there!

craigybagel

Established Member
One other thing to bear in mind is that for some, a route card consisting of only one route can get pretty tedious after a while - even a route as stunning as the Kyle line.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
One other thing to bear in mind is that for some, a route card consisting of only one route can get pretty tedious after a while - even a route as stunning as the Kyle line.
Indeed. I'd far rather be an Inverness driver - same stunning lines but much more variety.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Bare in mind also that the "rural" depots, including Kyle, are excluded from the usual rostering Ts and Cs, specifically max turn length

Traindriver99

Hello. I am italian and I have applied for that position. I would like to know if you think that international candidate living regularly in UK can have the chance to get that job or is it just for people who have lived since they were born in that rural place? Thanks

Traindriver99

I am definitively permanent resident in UK, I have also got plenty of experiences in customer service as well as driving experiences as a I am currently a delivery driver

craigybagel

Established Member
As has been pointed out to you several times now on different threads, it's a ridiculously competitive role and nationality doesn't even come in to it (other than a requirement to speak English and have a permanent right to work in the UK). 99.9% of applicants for this role will not be successful - the vast amount of whom will be eliminated in the very first sift - and you can bet that there will be a lot of native born Scots amongst that list

Signed: another train driver who was born outside of the UK

Traindriver99

As has been pointed out to you several times now on different threads, it's a ridiculously competitive role and nationality doesn't even come in to it (other than a requirement to speak English and have a permanent right to work in the UK). 99.9% of applicants for this role will not be successful - the vast amount of whom will be eliminated in the very first sift - and you can bet that there will be a lot of native born Scots amongst that list

Signed: another train driver who was born outside of the UK
Well, it is very easy to have the chance not to be unsuccessful in the bast majority of candidates. And the answer is saying that I live, work in that rural place and that I am scottish. Those would be a huge advantage, especially in this role based in rural place with less than 1000 habitats and in the middle of nowhere in which almost none want to live!

Kuksoolgirl

So true.... at my current workplace, we very occasionally have a taximan from the west coast bring samples to inverness, and he alwsys has an order to pick up KFC for the ones back home!!

KeenAsCustard

Well, it is very easy to have the chance not to be unsuccessful in the bast majority of candidates. And the answer is saying that I live, work in that rural place and that I am scottish. Those would be a huge advantage, especially in this role based in rural place with less than 1000 habitats and in the middle of nowhere in which almost none want to live!
Just saying.... people do want to live there, and there are plenty of people in the close-ish catchment area that would love a dream opportunity like this. As mentioned several times in this thread - one of the hardest things about living in a place like this is housing and employment, and that includes incredible opportunities like this.

So please don't say people don't want to live there - if I could get myself a job up there that could satisfy me for life, like this, then I probably wouldn't have left the area.

Along the same lines - please do not think that this will be an easy position to get, just because of it's location.

As far as all your other posts on this site, and as MANY people have responded to you with, nationality has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with getting a job, but living location might. But it's mainly about suitability for the role and the company.

So true.... at my current workplace, we very occasionally have a taximan from the west coast bring samples to inverness, and he alwsys has an order to pick up KFC for the ones back home!!
Haha! I remember the scramble for small item IKEA orders and Dunkin' Donuts from the city!

route101

Established Member
Cold KFC anyone!

Established Member

Can’t really agree with this which (no offence) but I have to say I find a rather small minded attitude.

In my view, whether its a depot in rural Scotland or in the centre of London, jobs should always go to the best candidates. Growing up in London you get very used to having to compete with people from all over the country (and from all over the world for that matter) for housing/jobs etc.

There’s no God given right to a job just because you were born locally and neither should there be. People can and should move where necessary.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Perhaps if you had grown up in a small rural Scottish community and been forced to leave it because of lack of opportunities you’d understand.

the sniper

Established Member
Advertising for a trainee there, I'd be amazed if it doesn't just happen to go to someone relatively local, if they can jump through the recruitment hoops. If they are taking someone from much further away, why not just advertise for a Qualified Driver, they'd carry the same flight risk but with less newbie risk/cost?

ScotsRail

Perhaps if you had grown up in a small rural Scottish community and been forced to leave it because of lack of opportunities you’d understand.

This.

Locals priced out by people wanting "holiday" homes and with no real long term employment opportunities outside of tourism and retail.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
But equally, these "anti holiday homers" also say "if you like it here so much, move here and contribute to the area"

So can't really be annoyed if they then, erm, do?

Status
Not open for further replies.