• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scottish Citylink

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT particularly IT systems.

The Citylink website is incredibly dated, suprising for Scotlands national coach network.

I was looking for Whitelaws coaches, couldnt find a website for them.

backontrack

Established Member
The X99 Inverness-Scrabster used to be bookable via that website. I don't know if it still is, or indeed whether that outdated site is a factor in dropping usage levels on the X99 among other things (unpopular coaches, timetable slashed, takes an extra hour to Thurso). In any case, the Far North Line is pretty dominant these days. Only Wick (and Dornoch/Dunbeath/Lybster) customers have any real incentive to take the route.

A clearer interface might be one of those things where usage picks up again, though the effect on traffic is probably fairly minimal.

Unstoppable

On Moderation
Seen a Megabus branded panther on the M9 at Glasgow Buchanan bus station other night. Mixture of single s and doubles on M9. I prefer the deckers ,quieter.

I seen on a travel map that there was a Megabus M20 from Inverness to London via Edinburgh, borders , newcastleton , bonkers route.

Not a fan of the seating on them van hool golds
The 22:30 M9 Glasgow - Aberdeen is a Perth Panther or the odd time an Elite. Perth vehicle operated by a Cumbernauld driver all the way on this service. He then first use checks a Astromega/Panorama and works the 03:20 Aberdeen to London as far as Cumbernauld

route101

Established Member
The 22:30 M9 Glasgow - Aberdeen is a Perth Panther or the odd time an Elite. Perth vehicle operated by a Cumbernauld driver all the way on this service. He then first use checks a Astromega/Panorama and works the 03:20 Aberdeen to London as far as Cumbernauld

From what ive seen the Parks runs on the M9 are elites. The van hools and panoramas are preferbale.

Still panthers on M8 and M10.

Unstoppable

On Moderation
From what ive seen the Parks runs on the M9 are elites. The van hools and panoramas are preferbale.

Still panthers on M8 and M10.
Parks tend to use the Elites on their M8/M9 runs. The M8 service is solely Perth based vehicles so will be Panthers and the odd Elite. The M10 service varies. Just depends what Cumbernauld has available

Tom1791

Hopefully this is still on topic but has anyone had any experience using the citylink explorer pass? I was considering trying one as it looks pretty good value as long as you are travelling decent distances (Glasgow to Skye for example). The website links what looks like a slightly outdated network map and it isn't clear whether services such as WCM 486 dunoon-inveraray, which are on the map, are included in the pass.

route101

Established Member
Hopefully this is still on topic but has anyone had any experience using the citylink explorer pass? I was considering trying one as it looks pretty good value as long as you are travelling decent distances (Glasgow to Skye for example). The website links what looks like a slightly outdated network map and it isn't clear whether services such as WCM 486 dunoon-inveraray, which are on the map, are included in the pass.

Id check if that service 486 is running.The citylink website is not updated too often , its ancient. Its funny they get new coaches for 900 but stuff like ticketing website etc is stuck in the past. No app either.

Yeah the pass is good value for longer journeys such as Skye.

david737

Just checked WCM website, 486 is running but can't tell you if explorer ticket is valid on this bus though.
I have just remembered that I have a timetable booklet for Citylink (Summer 2019) that I got last year and it mentions the explorer pass and it says 'travel on any Citylink services plus connecting services shown in this booklet'. It shows the 486 as a connection in & out of the 926 Campbeltown service.

Last edited:

overthewater

Established Member
All the gold service have been converted back to normal services. I doubt Gold will return which is a shame.

route101

Established Member
All the gold service have been converted back to normal services. I doubt Gold will return which is a shame.

I noticed a gold decker on the M10. I wasnt a big fan of them buses, the seating arrangements. The services were popula with concession pass holders getting a tea and biccy.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I noticed a gold decker on the M10. I wasnt a big fan of them buses, the seating arrangements. The services were popula with concession pass holders getting a tea and biccy.

There are two types of Gold coach out there - the ex-sleepers and the "normal" ones which have a more conventional layout - the latter look quite nice.

overthewater

Established Member
The timetable on the Citylink Website? No Gold services on there website or traveline etc, its all standard service. It's believed the hostess have been made redundant like the tayway conductors.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The timetable on the Citylink Website? No Gold services on there website or traveline etc, its all standard service. It's believed the hostess have been made redundant like the tayway conductors.
Thank you. All you had to say was "looking at the Citylink website, it would appear that the Gold services have been discontinued", or words to that effect. All we're asking you to do is to indicate whether or not your information comes from an official source, in which case a link and quotation from that source would be required. It may be that you've heard inside information or simply word of mouth that isn't publicly available, in which case all you need to do is say so, and let everyone else make up their minds as to how accurate that information may be.
I had a look on Citylink's service updates page, and there was nothing to indicate that the Gold services had been withdrawn.

Volvodart

Established Member
I was wondering why Citylink tweets about services breaking down from Aberdeen had such a frequent service, but never looked into it to see they were all "M" services now.

route101

Established Member
M10 is Glasgow to Inverness. There was only a few of these a day before Covid. Now there is more.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I think the Golds (specifically the G9) have just been temporally dropped to allow extra capacity to/from Dundee and ease pressure on the existing M9 journeys.

Unstoppable

On Moderation
There are two types of Gold coach out there - the ex-sleepers and the "normal" ones which have a more conventional layout - the latter look quite nice.

Could you post your source, please?
There is a re launch of the Gold service coming next year around March. Parks vehicles are almost ready. They were designed before Covid came around. Currently all Gold hosts have been paid off however... the story is there could be a few phone calls made next year once or if COVID calms down

The 13:10 Glasgow - Inverness, 17:10 Glasgow Inverness, 08:25 Inverness - Glasgow and 18:25 Inverness - Glasgow are all booked Gold Astromega's however occasionally you can also find the older Blue Vanhools turn up such as 50248 and 50249

The 13:10 Glasgow - Inverness, 17:10 Glasgow Inverness, 08:25 Inverness - Glasgow and 18:25 Inverness - Glasgow are all booked Gold Astromega's however occasionally you can also find the older Blue Vanhools turn up such as 50248 and 50249
The Gold services are still registered as G9/G10 however, passenger tickets show M9/M10. The destination screen on the coach technically must state what it is registered to run as which can show some confusion. I can personally see the express services to Aberdeen and Inverness adding in extra stops before long as the passenger count is not sustainable. From an official source there is to be a re launch of the Gold service around March with Parks starring the new vehicles, however, with covid no one can be confident what will really happen

Last edited:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Prior to Covid there were plans for the G9/G10/G90/G92 to receive new Panoramas (Not just Parks but also Stagecoach and Edinburgh Coach Lines), however that may have changed. Eventually the plan was for all the Saltire routes to be operated by double deck coaches (Panoramas and/or TDX27s). As i must reiterate though that may have changed due to the pandemic.

route101

Established Member
Prior to Covid there were plans for the G9/G10/G90/G92 to receive new Panoramas (Not just Parks but also Stagecoach and Edinburgh Coach Lines), however that may have changed. Eventually the plan was for all the Saltire routes to be operated by double deck coaches (Panoramas and/or TDX27s). As i must reiterate though that may have changed due to the pandemic.

I quite like the panoramas, much prefer them to a elite or B10(If thats the coach type) , still see single decks on the M9!

Jordan Adam

Established Member
One of the new Gold coaches mentioned earlier.