• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scottish Citylink

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Slick. What's inside like? Interesting, too, that Parks have used Citylink branding on the coaches - don't they usually have Parks wording but the Citylink colour scheme?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Slick. What's inside like? Interesting, too, that Parks have used Citylink branding on the coaches - don't they usually have Parks wording but the Citylink colour scheme?

No interior photos yet. The Parks Panoramas on the 900 also carry Citylink branding instead of Parks, i think the main reason is just to avoid confusion given that regardless of who operates the service they trade under the Citylink brand.

route101

Established Member
One of the new Gold coaches mentioned earlier.

Interesting. Wonder what the interior is like?

The Elites will be sold.

Is that the second set of elites on the gold? They started in 2010 with them

OmniCity999

Established Member
Prior to Covid there were plans for the G9/G10/G90/G92 to receive new Panoramas (Not just Parks but also Stagecoach and Edinburgh Coach Lines), however that may have changed. Eventually the plan was for all the Saltire routes to be operated by double deck coaches (Panoramas and/or TDX27s). As i must reiterate though that may have changed due to the pandemic.

Strictly speaking, take out 2 seats on the lower deck, they could just have some sort of tea/coffee vending machine and mini fridge with drinks and a shelf for snacks. They dont need an attendant. People could scan their tickets to dispense.

Interesting. Wonder what the interior is like?

Is that the second set of elites on the gold? They started in 2010 with them
Yeah thats the second batch of Elites. The original batch where delivered in 2010 and were 15m Volvo B12s. There are 2 batches of newer 14m B11s. Some have the adaptive cruise control and some dont. You can tell the difference with the black square at the front of the bus.

These are to be used on Citylink services so are carrying the proper branding.
Parks operate there own services which is why they carry Parks branding. Citylink sell tickets on behalf of Parks which is why they carry that colour scheme. It reduces confusion to the public and means the coach can show up on Citylinks own services without to many problems.

Last edited:

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Has anyone experienced Citylink gold Pre-COVID? It’s on the bucket list should it ever return to normal, what was it like in terms of amenities onboard? Just like the regular coach service but with better seats?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I've never experienced it personally, but if ever my dad wanted to go south without driving he'd book on the Gold service - booking fee only due to him having a concession card. I think it was tea/coffee and biscuits that were offered on board.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I've never experienced it personally, but if ever my dad wanted to go south without driving he'd book on the Gold service - booking fee only due to him having a concession card. I think it was tea/coffee and biscuits that were offered on board.

I think it varies slightly but when i've been on there's usually been tea/coffee, Irn Bru (250ml bottle) and a selection of biscuits. Hopefully the new coaches retain a similar layout to the TDX29s as i find them far more pleasant then using the train.

route101

Established Member
Has anyone experienced Citylink gold Pre-COVID? It’s on the bucket list should it ever return to normal, what was it like in terms of amenities onboard? Just like the regular coach service but with better seats?

Done it a few times , when it first launched you got quite a bit , Biscuit, sandwich , water soft drink , Ice cream. Dont get as much now . I used to take the wee soft drinks home as often they werent chilled.

The way the timetable and booking the service went, i didnt specifically go for the gold , it just happened to be a suitable time for departure.

Also did Cardiff to London on gold, was packed with someone opposite. As for Citylink fares, they are pretty expensive on the day and coaches can sell out.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Done it a few times , when it first launched you got quite a bit , Biscuit, sandwich , water soft drink , Ice cream. Dont get as much now . I used to take the wee soft drinks home as often they werent chilled.

The way the timetable and booking the service went, i didnt specifically go for the gold , it just happened to be a suitable time for departure.

Also did Cardiff to London on gold, was packed with someone opposite. As for Citylink fares, they are pretty expensive on the day and coaches can sell out.

If the drink wasn't cold then I worry about the state of the Ice Cream. o_O

It's a shame that Citylink have reduced it down to biscuits, if they kept up that standard of service it would be a good competitor with the trains.

route101

Established Member
If the drink wasn't cold then I worry about the state of the Ice Cream. o_O

It's a shame that Citylink have reduced it down to biscuits, if they kept up that standard of service it would be a good competitor with the trains.

Ive had soft drinks served warm on trains too, LNER for example, i know some people arent bothered about that. I tend to use the train if im going to Aberdeen, railcard and flexiability of getting services. If Citylink had cheaper fares id think about using them. The coach also has the tendancy to sell out.

Ive had soft drinks served warm on trains too, LNER for example, i know some people arent bothered about that. I tend to use the train if im going to Aberdeen, railcard and flexiability of getting services. If Citylink had cheaper fares id think about using them. The coach also has the tendancy to sell out.
Whats do you mean by flexibility? There's a bus pretty much every hour to Aberdeen.

Also where are you trying to get fares for Citylink? Ive seen people with £5 and £6 singles to Aberdeen. The only time you won't get relatively cheap fares is if you show up on the day and pay on the bus or book online.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Whats do you mean by flexibility? There's a bus pretty much every hour to Aberdeen.

Also where are you trying to get fares for Citylink? Ive seen people with £5 and £6 singles to Aberdeen. The only time you won't get relatively cheap fares is if you show up on the day and pay on the bus or book online.

Even then whenever i've booked online a few days in advance i've found fares for Citylink Gold (specifically) are either on par with the train or cheaper, while Non-Gold Citylink (M9/M92) most of the time are cheaper.

route101

Established Member

Just searched a journey for 13th of October Glasgow to Aberdeen returning two days later. £45 advance or £59 return normal fare. Are people getting cheaper fares booking through Megabus?

scotrail158713

Established Member
Are people getting cheaper fares booking through Megabus?
It could be. I’ve always found the Megabus site to be cheaper. E.g. although it’s not doesn’t happen anymore, Edinburgh to Aberdeen on the Megabus website was the one place I’d find £1 fares on.
I’ve not checked in around a year though so not sure if this is still the case.

overthewater

Established Member
Yes, plenty of £12-£14 tickets on the Megabus site for that date on that route.

With Citylink gold, ive not seen Ice cream on the routes for years? the last time you got one hot drink, one cold drink and some short bread. its not had sandwich or muffins for ages.

Just searched a journey for 13th of October Glasgow to Aberdeen returning two days later. £45 advance or £59 return normal fare. Are people getting cheaper fares booking through Megabus?
Try megabus for cheaper fares. You might find that due to a reduced capacity on the buses just now that cheap fares have disappeared for the time being.

route101

Established Member
Yes, plenty of £12-£14 tickets on the Megabus site for that date on that route.

With Citylink gold, ive not seen Ice cream on the routes for years? the last time you got one hot drink, one cold drink and some short bread. its not had sandwich or muffins for ages.

Ice cream , was early offer, i think i travelled on the first or second day of gold operations. Remember getting tablet too.

Try megabus for cheaper fares. You might find that due to a reduced capacity on the buses just now that cheap fares have disappeared for the time being.

Will look at Megabus, i nicer website to book. Ive never seen £6 fares like that on Citylink though. I dont always book far ahead for domestic trips as quite often i decide if the weather is good etc.

route101

Established Member
Noticed Citylink were £13 odd Glasgow to Perth yet for same service to Perth megabus were £7.50.

£7.50 Glasgow to Perth
£19 off Glasgow to Dundee on same bus. £12 difference.

Jordan Adam

Established Member

Just to come back to this the interior is the same as the Citylink AIR Panoramas but with a servery unit downstairs.

overthewater

Established Member
Its the Park versions, It would seem Parks cant have brand new stock sitting around. I take it the older leased coaches have been sent back.

The Parks Gold buses are being used on the now renumbered G services and being added in to the M10/90/92 timetables

Unstoppable

On Moderation
Strictly speaking, take out 2 seats on the lower deck, they could just have some sort of tea/coffee vending machine and mini fridge with drinks and a shelf for snacks. They dont need an attendant. People could scan their tickets to dispense.
That wouldn't be possible with health and safety regulations. Imagine the uproar if someone walked away without a siplet and spilled it over someone? Some Gold hosts are even funny about giving the drivers a hot drink