• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Season tickets with 16-17 Saver

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Hello,

If I purchase a Monthly Season Ticket using my 16-17 Saver, is it still valid for the entire month if my 18th birthday falls before the expiry date of the season? I seem to remember there is some leeway for child (15 and under) season tickets as long as the season ends four months after the sixteen birthday, but wondered how things stood for seasons bought with the 16-17 Saver.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

janb

Yes, same situation. From the FAQs,

Can I continue to use my 16-17 Saver if I have my 18th birthday before it expires?
A:
No, your 16-17 Saver will be issued for either:
  • a maximum of 1 year from the date of purchase; or
  • the period from the date of purchase until the day before your 18th birthday if your 18th birthday falls before the expiry of 1 year from the date of purchase.
However, if you buy a discounted Season ticket before your 16-17 Saver expires, you can continue to use your discounted Season ticket for up to four months after expiry of your 16-17 Saver. The 16-17 Saver will have two dates shown on it:
  • "Valid until" - which is the expiry date up to which you can purchase new tickets.
  • "Season Ticket valid until" - which is the last date that you can continue to use any discounted Season ticket for travel. This is four months after the expiry date of the card.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Yes, same situation. From the FAQs,

Can I continue to use my 16-17 Saver if I have my 18th birthday before it expires?
A:
No, your 16-17 Saver will be issued for either:
  • a maximum of 1 year from the date of purchase; or
  • the period from the date of purchase until the day before your 18th birthday if your 18th birthday falls before the expiry of 1 year from the date of purchase.
However, if you buy a discounted Season ticket before your 16-17 Saver expires, you can continue to use your discounted Season ticket for up to four months after expiry of your 16-17 Saver. The 16-17 Saver will have two dates shown on it:
  • "Valid until" - which is the expiry date up to which you can purchase new tickets.
  • "Season Ticket valid until" - which is the last date that you can continue to use any discounted Season ticket for travel. This is four months after the expiry date of the card.
That is extremely helpful, thank you. It does just say Season Tickets valid until October but with my birthday in late June, I assume I cannot just buy one in July or August

janb

That is extremely helpful, thank you. It does just say Season Tickets valid until October but with my birthday in late June, I assume I cannot just buy one in July or August
That's correct. You would need to buy one starting before your 16-17 saver expiry date with the end date of the season ticket limited by the date in October. One starting after your 16-17 save expiry date wouldn't be valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.